[url]Image[/url]

Octal450

Re: Talking Festival 2017

Postby Octal450 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Couple=2,3,4,5

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:13 pm

I'll surely put my vote on a non-repeated place.

development level does not scare me so much.
The way I see it:

A non-development place chosen becomes a good motivation to make something happen, in a place where otherwise we wouldn't be focusing our efforts.
Catalanoic's comments on man-power are true. But not much we can do about it. What we can do is make efforts to make the best we can with the resources we could get.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:05 pm

For the spring edition i like India, maybe an opportunity for FG pilots to discover and learn about the country, but i'm seeing interest in US east Coast, Mexico and "Los Andes" candidates too, but South East Asia? too vast, i find 2 countries for each event festival as maximal large limit (if the combination of both results a manageable area)
I like Scandinavia for the Fall 2017 edition, i don't have traveled there yet (real and FG) so i need to discover it at first virtually ;-) But Italy and Greece are good ones too..
PS: "2 countries=maximal large limit": or even more if the countries are smaller

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:36 pm

Scandinavia should be pretty impossible for a fall edition. It's too far north, resulting in a sunset at 16:01

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:37 pm

Israel made an important point here, the motivation to make things happen for our scenery builders and after Switzerland, Japan and now UK, we know what those guys can do if the put their mind on it. Sooo ... any place we chose will end up with better scenery which of course is still there after the Festival, makes it a more interesting place to fly there. Now Italy and Greece are both interesting under this consideration. Personally, I tend a little bit to Greece. Lots of Islands with little airports, more opportunity to fly smaller planes again (D-ECHO seems to work on a Do-328, that would be a blast to fly there). No offnese to the hardcore pilots here, but right now, an Island approach at 5 knots wind sounds better to me than a fjord approach with 25 crosswind.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:47 pm

D-ECHO wrote:Scandinavia should be pretty impossible for a fall edition. It's too far north, resulting in a sunset at 16:01

We'll see, whatever gets selected in Europe "falls in Fall"

Did A. Earhart say something about people doing what you think is impossible?

A. Earhart wrote:Women, like men, should try to do the impossible.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:58 pm

Catalanoic wrote:but South East Asia? too vast, i find 2 countries for each event festival as maximal large limit (if the combination of both results a manageable area)

I agree. The size of S.E.Asia was my first objection. I suggest @Raven to modify his petition for a candidate as follows:

Peninsular S.E.Asia, restricted to: Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Peninsular/West Malaysia, Singapore.

meaning to exclude all Insular S.E.Asia: Brune, East Malaysia, Philippines, and Indonesia,
and also Myanmar.

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:11 pm

Yes, but A. Earhart tried it just in one field at a time, flying. She should have tried to do the impossible in several fields at the same time and she may would have enjoyed some flightsim hours just for the fun and relaxation without the extra stress.
Having said that, do we have maybe a candidate with a weather separation somewhere? In some parts you can have nice weather on one side of a river for example and lousy on the other side. Or with mountains? That would be a candidate for everybody.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:48 pm

What about New Guinea? Or the Caucasus Mountains? Both are underdeveloped, not travelled to very often on FG, and have amazing scenery/mountains.

(maps were from OPRF Monday Night Fights, but show scale and some of the major airports - and New Guinea map is just the western half)

New Guinea:

Caucasus Mountains:
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Return to “The Festival”