Beagle Pup experiment

Everything in connection with developing aircraft for FlightGear
bomber

Re: Beagle Pup experiment

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:13 pm

Richard wrote:
In terms of licencing - if the experiment is a success and the result is an aero model to be proud of then I'll release it as GPL/CC - otherwise it'll go into the great bitbucket in the sky. I'm not going to get into a licencing/copyright debate either.

I know you said you don't want to talk about licensing, but what harm can be had by having it under CC

Richard wrote:The point of this experiment is not necessarily to produce a better Beagle Pup aero model - it's to explore the possibilities of working together with aero modellers, test pilots and any other help that can be given.

This I agree 100% with, and I hope it' what will make this forum different from the other one and that's the giving of genuine critical reviews of our work and the ability to answer those opinions... there's simply not enough of it over on the other forum and imo creative thinking is stifled because of it.

Working together using forums is not easy, all too often things can be taken the wrong way and flame wars develop, and once a culture of intolerance sets in polarising the community into hard black and white opinions it becomes almost impossible.

I've enjoyed the interaction with Vincent over my fdm, he's made some observations of it and I've agreed where I can and countered where I feel I ought too, learning along the way that telling the tester the basic characteristics of the plane such as stall speed with and without flaps helps him.

This is what I want, I don't want WTG's... I don't want people bouncing into a thread 'protecting my honour' because I've spent years working on it. And at the end of the day I might not agree with what a person feels the plane should fly like, afterall neither of us has actually flown a Beagle pup or whatever.

I want to give you the opportunity to review my work in an honest way, safe in the knowledge that I'm not going to bite your head off.... if you don't like it say so... But equally I'm not going to just make something you like if I feel you're wrong, cause some planes are simply bitches. And if all you have to compare new work too is old incorrect flight models, well I'd like to think there is a good reason they're not the same.

Richard wrote:What I'm interested in is really to see if we can find the future of aerodynamic modelling.

Very admirable.

Richard wrote:@Simon - I feel your frustration. The engines, propeller and startup sequence aren't mine - however you can autostart on the ground easily enough; and if that doesn't work just turn all of the switches in the lower centre console on, and push s and m at the same time until it starts. It took me about 20 flights before I figured this out. However you can just remove the

The m key as well.... I'll try that.

Cheers
Last edited by bomber on Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:15 pm

sanhozay wrote:
I'm just trying to make Bomber's FDM work and do some testing of that one. (The FGMEMBERS NON-GPL download is missing the engine and propeller files).

The engine and propeller files are the identical ones to Richards, if you've installed Richards plane then they should already be there.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Richard wrote:@sanhozay - thanks for the testing. The engine / prop may be overpowered (or it could be my basic form drag that is wrong). I'll look into the points about overall 'aerobatic' performance to see if I can find any information that indicates what it should be like. I would expect that it won't always fly dead straight and level if there is any wind at all - and it might be that the gyro effects of the propeller are enough to skew things.

Hi, Just to say both Richard and mines fdm are using the same engine and prop files which I created... I'm confident that these are correct..

Now that said the 170hp, could be a reflection of the speed you're flying at as you're looking at HP and not BHP.... I will however have a look and check to see if mine does the same once I've got it not crashing to desk top.

Richard...if you're able to pull out the drag numbers for your plane, I can tell you that the prop produces 225lbs of thrust at 127mph... and what we know is that a top speed drag = thrust.

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:42 pm

bomber wrote:Now that said the 170hp, could be a reflection of the speed you're flying at as you're looking at HP and not BHP.... I will however have a look and check to see if mine does the same once I've got it not crashing to desk top.

For those of us, i.e. me, that don't fully understand this, could you explain the relationship between HP and BHP for an aircraft at rest on the ground and in flight?

What does the 100hp rating of the Continental 0-200 actually mean and how does it relate to fdm/jsbsim/propulsion/engine/power-hp?

If I want to establish 75% power and 60%, how can I do that?

EDIT: And a related question ... I compared my engine file to yours and note that your cylinder head mass is only 9lbs. Did you just not worry about that number? I guess it doesn't affect performance, just cooling?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:01 pm

bomber wrote:Richard...if you're able to pull out the drag numbers for your plane

That is a thing i forgot to mention. The plane did not really want to slowdown in a shallow desc around 500 ft/min.

Kind regards, Vincent

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Richard,

I tried the modified pitch file. It is a lot better at good speed now. Seems good controllable to me. But at low speeds around 60 kts in landing the effect is still very strong, making it rather hard to control into a decent landing. I do not know if flaps make difference, i had them out, and no time to test today anymore without flaps at low speed.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:41 pm

sanhozay wrote:For those of us, i.e. me, that don't fully understand this, could you explain the relationship between HP and BHP for an aircraft at rest on the ground and in flight?

What does the 100hp rating of the Continental 0-200 actually mean and how does it relate to fdm/jsbsim/propulsion/engine/power-hp?

If I want to establish 75% power and 60%, how can I do that?

EDIT: And a related question ... I compared my engine file to yours and note that your cylinder head mass is only 9lbs. Did you just not worry about that number? I guess it doesn't affect performance, just cooling?

Oh boy... this'll test the forum.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:42 pm

bomber wrote:
sanhozay wrote:
I'm just trying to make Bomber's FDM work and do some testing of that one. (The FGMEMBERS NON-GPL download is missing the engine and propeller files).

The engine and propeller files are the identical ones to Richards, if you've installed Richards plane then they should already be there.

Which Richard?
Richard Seniors "Sanhozay" (the original in FGMEMBERS/fgaddon), or "Richard"

If its the later then I will have problem testing your aircraft bomber.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:50 pm

They are Bomber's files which he gave to Richard (not me, Richard Harrison). They should be in Bomber's repo on FGMEMBERS NON-GPL really.

These are the files:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/283 ... O200-A.xml
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/283 ... y-7053.xml

They go in the Engines directory of course.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:53 pm

OK.
Thanks. Will add these two on bomber's Addon

Thanks Richard (#1)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “Aircraft Development”