Testing the waters, London Zeppelin raid. 01/20/18 ; 17:00 UTC

The Belfort Aerodrome and its WWI events
LesterBoffo

Re: Testing the waters, London Zeppelin raid.

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:56 am

jwocky wrote:Lester, you got my email-addy? Please keep me updated, I hope to bring in some time to exercise with the zeppelin. Of course, I would volunteer then to play the "bad hun" ;-)
Waaaaiiiit ... "bud hun" sounds soooooo wrong in American English lololol

:lol: Just send me some PM's .

I'm not that close to having anything releasable yet. I can send you the relevant .stg files I have so far, so you can check out the area. But I still need to make a .groundnet, which unfortunately is going to be from Wegevelm, the closest FG airfield, some 24 nautical-miles away to the West-SW.

I would like to have someone take over prettying up the rather coarse interior of the Zeppelin's forward control cab, it needs a rudder wheel, elevator wheel, interior details, engine control panel and someone to figure out why it now doesn't want to connect to the mooring vehicle. Typical unfinished, but it is passable in flight, the ballast and gas releases all work, as do the engines and the various mass centers for fuel and cargo. It would be nice to get working bombs and submodels installed.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:52 am

Pushback ground handling for the L11 Zepp..Image

SHM

Postby SHM » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 am

That looks awesome. :D
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:46 am

It's a bit of a hassle to use, the tow truck works well enough, but you need about 500 pounds of resting weight in the "wheels' of the Zeppelin to make the truck appear and tow it around. if there's a 6 knot wind you're pretty much buggered to move it at all except down wind.

Initialize the Zepp and let off gas in little stages, as it will initially rise to about 200 feet, then slowly settle. The hope for no wind and when the wheels are down, hook up the truck and tow. It's going to be a mess doing it in MP.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:27 am

So what's the chance of doing a Zeppelin operation sometime in the next few weeks? I've added a working defensive gun to the Crow's nest of the L-11 and tinkered with the weight distribution so it's not so likely to go wandering off when spawned.

You will need to set your weather wind conditions to near calm if you want to move it around with the push-back Benz truck.

There's a new Home Defense RAF BE12 with upward angled twin Lewis guns. Closest airport to the original mouth of the Thames river HD squadrons like at Stows Maries would be Southend.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:43 pm

Somewhere in January, maybe, what are the others thinking?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:41 pm

Yeah, I'm thinking mid January, I'll need some time to work out reducing the dependencies on the Nordstern.

I'd like this to be an easy install, and have the L-11 some ground handling, and make a passable Stow Maries airfield for the HD players. How is everyone for a night sortie using the Moonlight shader?

One thing will be that all involved will need to run some ALS features.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:30 am

midjanuary works for me :D
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:46 pm

There might be some need with someone taking over ATC-ing the takeoffs and arrivals of the Home Defense crews, would operating the Thornycroft AA truck be of interest also? It means you get to run the truck out to the Thames estuary and shoot at targets.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 am

Practicing getting the L-11 parked in one of the two hangars at Merebeke. It can be done fairly easily if the wind is under 6 knots and you take the scenic route through the suburbs and try to stay on the the asphalt roads with the Benz tug. I'll get some primary parking spots worked out, but they will have to be accessed by using the parking-in-air menu.

Return to “Belfort Aerodrome: The Taildraggers”