Populate 3000 airports in one day

Building new buildings, airports, mowing lawn on runways ... all that kind of things to create the world
laserman

Populate 3000 airports in one day

Postby laserman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:04 am

Hello fellow scenery artists,
please have a look at my wiki page:
http://wiki.flightgear.org/User:Laserman/ideas

I am very fascinated, I am thrilled by the idea of making a tool to automatically convert shared objects and buildings in a GPL compliant way for more than 3000 airports.

IAHM-COL

Re: Populate 3000 airports in one day

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:36 am

quite compelling D-LASER :D

1) what you think of performance issues? I had to do a lot of passing around the osm2city script to get a decent performance on the FG side. And still is quite a bite.

2) scenery creators for xplane potentially didnt make those with FG in mind. Do you think is "fair use" on all sense to take that? I know the X-PLANE guys do run a for profit operation, too.

I still bug my mind around the ODBL license, and how FG can create derivative work for GPL here. too.

3) Quality wise; OSM does a great looking city, but custom made buildings over the tarmac do get the best ultimate feeling, I think.

great work-plan and ideas, thou.

I'm looking forward to see where you take these. And If you think I can be of help, knock my door ;)

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

laserman

Postby laserman » Sun Oct 11, 2015 12:23 pm

1) similar to other nice airports like LOWI

2) I estimate 10% of gateway contributers are FlightGear people. the X-PLANE guys are very thankful for the bug reports that I send. the side effect of conversion is analysing the apt.dat more than they did.

ODBL license is ok. we already use OSM data for Terrain.

3) I agree. I don't think that auto-generated buildings will end up in terrasync, only as custom scenery and I will put them in on the "exclude list" as soon as some1 makes a nice building.

4) I will knock after the FG festival :-)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 09, 2016 1:26 pm

That is awesome, laserman
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “Scenery Development”