USA TOUR Event | SAT NOVEMBER 19TH 18:00 - 22:00 UTC

The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
IAHM-COL

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT NOVEMBER 19TH 18:00 - 22:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 6:28 pm

jwocky wrote:5.) Israel: Since you play with the thought to go all Red Baron, how hard is this to make?
That is Fokker Dr.1 450/17 flown by Lt. Josef Jacobs, Jasta 7 out of St. Marguerite, paint is from May 1918.

5response) @JWocky, I pushed the new Livery to FGMEMBERS. Enjoy

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Wooot, how cool is that one?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:10 pm

Wings: The movie

To get in tune with this weekend's USA Tour event.
enjoy
https://vimeo.com/81593297
:public domain:, Produced by Paramount Famous Lasky Corporation 1927

But there was chivalry among these knights of the air . . . .

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:26 am

Nieuport 16

Since Helijah's Nieuport 11 is not such an accurate model I made a new Nupe 11/16

Five different liveries including an RFC camouflage and Belgium Esc. Belgique #3

detailed interior with engine couping on the joystick#1 button or trigger.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:31 am

Looks lovely

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:33 am

I think as an alternative and for fun I'd like to start my flight at the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome, http://oldrhinebeck.org/ at icao NY94. Since it is a working WWI aero museum with flight displays It is only a few dozen miles to the West NW of Providence.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:16 am

sounds cool. Let me check a map....

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:18 am

ten dozen nm away, you mean? I hope you start your flight early enough to catch us up in KPVD @ 18!!

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:38 pm

@Lester

I am scheduling updating the FGMEMBERS- Albatross collections with your links.

Is there any link for the cute new Nieuport 11, too?

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:22 pm

And I just pushed the fkdr1

- autopilot works
- chokes work as parking brakes, but if you give throttle like a bull, they won't hold you, just saying
- range tested, more than enough, but I have no time to calibrate the fuel consumption, so she has actually more than she should have
- gun animation

What needs to be tested and I can't right now due to lack of time:
- livery over mp visible?
- bullet tracers and impacts visible over mp

Starting instructions:
- get mixture up to full
- }}} for the magnetos
- full throttle
- s (hold it, it can take a bit till she catches, old engine, you know?)
WHEN she catches, take the throttle immediately back to half to keep control. She has bot a strong machine, but she is also extremely light compared to modern planes!
Hold stick pulled and increase throttle, bring her to 30-35 knots, depends a little on the wind, then let the stick come a little and she takes off and will immediately follow her torque and the propeller wash to the right, so be prepared to pull her left.

Otherwise, she is easy to fly for a ww1 plane, very reactive and in most situations quite forgiving. However, she is not one of those big buses. You can do a roll near the ground. Israel watched me today flipping her over an invisible obstacle and then just taking off during that flip in inverted attitude till I was high enough to roll her around again. So you can do crazy things with her but she has a little bit a tendency to punish you in crazy ways.
While on AP, she is rather boring. Lets be honest, she just flies at the set altitude and course and that's it. I was too lazoy to remove ILS, so ... duh ... if you feel like it, land with ILS.

Landing her
I have only tested manual landings. She reacts nicely, you just line up get your speed down to 35 or under and let her sink on the runway. Since she doesn't roll to wild at low speed, it's easy peasy compared to other taildraggers.
Now, here is the rub: I cheated a little bit. Of course, the real one was pushed in position by a bunch of men and then just took off strainght in the direction, she was placed. Steering only in the air. And of course, the real one had no brakes. Who needs brakes if he can lad wherever he wants on rather big rectangular grass patches?
But we don't have all those men to pull us around and we take-off and land on concrete. So, not very authentic, you have tail-skid-steering (on the rudder axis) and brakes (can also be used for left and right braking to steer her on the ground).
There is a way to get totally out of whack while landing. Bee fast, touch down, pull the brakes and hold them. I can guarantee you one salto mortale, maybe up to three! So touch down, let her lose speed, pull the stick to get the tail down. If she hops up and settles down, so be it. Use the brakes only when you have the tail skid on the ground, then she works fine.

Taxiing
Well, tail-skid-steering and asynchronous brakes ... shouldn't be any problem!

The wing-tip-skids
I couldn't do the animation, but they work, like retractable gear. Since they have not much drag, you won't feel them in the air if you forget to retract them. On the ground ... well, they are invisible, but they prevent your from falling on your wing tips or make you spin some donuts. So, useful little thingies, aren't they?

Guns are on key e! Not the joystick trigger! And no damage code is implemented. It's just for the show!

Sooo, guys have fun, keep me update if someone gets to check on the livery over MP thing!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “USA Tour”