USA TOUR Event | SAT AUGUST 20TH 17:00 - 21:30 UTC

The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
IAHM-COL

USA TOUR Event | SAT AUGUST 20TH 17:00 - 21:30 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:18 pm

Important Notification

Make sure to get installed the confirmed dogfigthers before hand, to avoid delays or yellow gliders :P

USA TOUR event | 48th Leg: Dogfighters (Propellers) | SAT AUGUST 20TH 17:00-21:30 UTC

FORTYNINTH TRIP
Departing Igor I. Sikorsky Memorial Airport (KBDR): Bridgeport, Connecticut
Stopping Joseph A. Hardy Airport (KVVS): Connellsville, Pennsylvania
Arriving Bowman Field (KLOU): Louisville, Kentucky

*************************************************************************************************************************
Leg Distance: 600 nm (two halves of 300 nm each)
Competing Aircraft: Dog-fighter aircraft with propeller engines
Expected Cruising Speed:approx. 185 KTS
Expected Cruising Altitude:15500-17500 ft
Expected Duration (en route): 2h40 min en-route. (1h20 min. per half)
**************************************************************************************************************************

Dogfighters (Propellers)

Hi everyone -- It's that time again-- Welcome to the USA TOUR!!

After completing the last Helicopter leg of the USA tour, and waving good bye to the rotatory-wing aircrafts in the Igor Sikorsky Memorial -- during an outstanding VFR flight that overflow the most important cities of the Eastern Seaboard of US; The USA Tourist's comboy prepares a new epic flight. This August 20th we will meet on our last arrived airport, on Bridgeport Connecticut, and as we head toward the largest city of the State of Kentucky, Louisville, we will make a brief refueling, and resting stop in Connellsville, Pennsylvania.

Aircrafts

The participant's group will be flying dogfighters with propeller engines. This class of warefare aircraft saw a major aeronautical advancement during the WWI, and WWII combats, when they were developed and perfected, and brought a new class of combat scenes to the world: The dogfight. Testing the pilots skills and steel=nerves, this machines were developed with superior flying capabilities: Great climbing and descending profiles, absurdly low stall speeds, with very stable flying, and ability to perform all sorts of acrobatical maneuvers, that represented the difference between life and death to thousand of to-be "Aces" and war-heroes for their respective nations. And as Europe and the world immersed in full in those blood-baths; humanity reached new levels in the understanding of aerodynamics, and thus, helping conquering the air and flight.

Any dogfighter aircraft with propellers qualifies. Keep in mind, that bombers that were slow and heavy, which were used for different -not direct air-combat functions- are NOT considered dogfighters. Also, keep in mind that althought most aircraft were WWII machines, dogfighters of other eras (WWI, Korean War, others) might be slower than our intended cruise speed but if you don't mind coming along slower than the group, those early dogfighters also DO qualify.

Keep in mind the USA tour is NOT a fighting simulation, and in spite of the aircrafts in use, our objective remains to fly point A-> point B. If some participant wants to engage in a simulation of aereal conflict, that'll be something worth seeing, but not the GOAL of this event.

Let us know what aircraft are you considering to use on the event day, so we can go ahead and update the participant's list, and install aircraft
necessary, in advance.

GCMAP

Route:

PART I: KBDR - KVVS

Departing KBDR Aug 20th at 1700UTC. Arriving at KVVS at 1820UTC.

We are having a pit-stop on Joseph A. Hardy airport, exact Mid-point in our route towards Louisville, Kentucky. We will rest there approx. 1 hour

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_A._Hardy_Connellsville_Airport wrote:Although first opened in October 1938,[6] it was heavily used during World War II by the United States Army Air Force Air Technical Service Command as a sub-depot of the Middletown Air Depot near Harrisburg.

SKYVECTOR

Code: Select all

NYACK SAX STW BEERS SNOWY CHLSE MORTO PYCAT COFAX YEDUS EJOCY   

PART II: KVVS - KLOU

Departing KVVS at 1930UTC. Arriving at KLOU at 21:00

Our final destination, will be Bowman field, previously known as Air-Base City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowman_Field_(airport) wrote:During World War II, Bowman Field was one of the nation's most important training bases as well as the nation's busiest airport. The facility became known as "Air Base City"

SKYVECTOR

GALLS BURGS ANTIO JPU FARLN UGS ROHDE RHOMM DARKS NERVE

PROCEDURES

Charts

STAR

Multiplayer Server

Operations will take place in FGMEMBERS' server. Pilots are encouraged to join in to the group.

To connect to the multiplayer server check the information provided at

Communications

Communications will take place with mumble. Important messages can be relayed on FGChat.
Sincere thanks to Michat for offering the intercom room and channels. This will be located in the FG mumble server:

server: mumble.allfex.org
Room: USA Tour

To install and prepare the mumble (any OS), see here:
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/Main_Page

Forum

Follow us in the Free Flight Free Speech Flightgear Forum at
http://www.thejabberwocky.net

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Re: USA TOUR Event | SAT AUGUST 20TH 16:00 - 22:30 UTC

Postby jwocky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:53 am

145 knots ... that is what some of the later ones can make just so without flaps ... thinking Moonbat, P-38(?) ;-) And the European theatre fighters should be in problems, they are built for higher altitudes, down there, the range will be a problem for some.

Nevertheless, I have a

Wuerger-Jsb

in work. For those who don't know, that's a Focke Wulf Fw-190, usually the A-models had the name "Würger". Due to a translation mistake, this appears in English often as "Shrike" (the fish), but actually Würger has two meanings, the fish and "Strangler" because, well, it was built to strangle the bomber streams. Didn't work though.
However, if I can talk Israel in pulling it's nose, I can build it witha Jumo engine and make it a Fw-190 D9 for example, nickname "Dora Langnase" (Longnose Dora) ;-)
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 am

yeah. I think 145 is on the slow side, but If we all can increase speed comfortably we go ahead and spare some minutes there. But if some older fighter comes, I dont want to blast away of them.... ya know?

example:
This one

So, I want to see what people want to jump at and then we can adjust speed up, if we all able ;)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:08 pm

IH-COL on the Mustang

After some tests, and understanding it is going to be a challenge, I will attempt flying the p51d mustang :D

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:11 pm

jwocky wrote: Due to a translation mistake, this appears in English often as "Shrike" (the fish), but actually Würger has two meanings, the fish and "Strangler"

Somehow this is what I thought by "Shrike" ...

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Echte_W%C3%BCrger

(which in my brain came as a "fair" translation!! :D

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:11 pm

Well, yes, only that only one of those shrike species is relative frequent, I know only the German name "Neuntöter" and that one rather more to the East of Germany and North. So, well, it's a bird, and it's a predator, so maybe found that name back then in Germany, but the two other meanings are much more common. On the other hand, there was a Kondor and that is surely also a bird not at home in Germany.
Well, bottom line, I just leave it at the German name, like I did with my other Jsb-refurbishes from WWII.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:21 pm

Israel, how about pulling the nose long?

The upper two are A-3 and A-7, the lower two are D-9s. Notice the longer nose of the Ds because they used instead of a BMW 801D/D-2 the Jumo 213, which was actually a bomber motor, the Germans had over in some numbers after the bobmber program was reduced after the Battle of England. So, how hard is it, to build a Dora Longnose?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:59 pm

jwocky wrote:, I just leave it at the German name, like I did with my other Jsb-refurbishes from WWII.

Yeah! I like it :P (yesteday I tried pronouncing it... I failed miserably... check the email subject line)

jwocky wrote:Israel, how about pulling the nose long?
So, how hard is it, to build a Dora Longnose?

I will take a look in blender. It would be great to build a Würger-langnase. Some models import and transform really easy. Others become major undertakes. My ability to pull this one (literally or literally*) will depend on the model itself. I'll report.

=====

Footnote:

* Continuing with errors in translation and/or linguistical misnomers, it is noteworthy that "literally" is a very unique English word whose meaning can alternatively be that of its own antonym :D
http://theweek.com/articles/466957/how- ... dictionary

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Try W as in water
ü as eeeeww
r for those English speakers who can actually speak Rs ... like in pirate aaarrrr, me hearties
g as the g in pogo
e more as in the English a
and then, for the finish, another r as in arrrr, me hearties

The Fw-190D (all variants) were by the German pilots actually not even known as "Würger" but as "Dora" or "Dora Langnase", so I would put the longnose version just as Dora in the same folder.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:17 pm

Probably I'm going to attend this one, sounds good!
I'll probably use FGUK's Spitfire Vb.

Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

Return to “USA Tour”