USA TOUR past events | Record

The USA Tour Archive. Event Concluded
IAHM-COL

Re: USA TOUR past events | Record

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:25 am

Flightgear Pilots

One week to USA tour trip 5th via Utah.

The flight plan I will be following is listed below. Remember you are free to elaborate a plan of your own if you are coming by, or you may also use the one listed. ATC service may be announced again, currently pending the presence of multiple pilots. If ATC is offered, feel free to come by and keep our ATC busy :) and help us simulate more realistic flying conditions.

HECTOR INTL (KFAR) to SALT LAKE CITY INTL (KSLC): 11 fixes, 751 nautical miles
Cruising altitude: FL210
Cruising Speed: 275 IAS
Estimate Time: 2 hours 40 min enroute

Code: Select all

Waypo      Type   Freq.   Dist.   True Track
KFAR   departure      N/A    N/A
JM   Sabon   NDB           395.00   73 nm   267
BI    Jadan    NDB           230.00   86 nm   263
LEM   Lemmon    VOR           111.40   76 nm   232
BUA   Buffalo   VOR-DME   109.40   61 nm   249
EFC   Belle F   NDB           269.00   52 nm   199
GC   Deryk    NDB           380.00   77 nm   249
CZI   Cr Wom   VOR-DME   117.30   43 nm   248  (CRAZY WOMAN?!?)
BOY   Boy.Res   VOR-DME   117.80   87 nm   248 
BPI    Big Pin   VOR-DME   116.50   96 nm   236  @FL160
KSLC   STAR (Bringhman City 3, Big Pinney Transition)
                      151 nm    235nm

Bringhman City 3 Star Approach; Altitude profile

WayPo   Name   Type    Freq.      Dist.    Track   Alt. (ft)
BPI   Big Pin   VOR-DME    116.5      --       226       16000
LHO   Brigham   VOR-DME    112.9      97       173       14000
CARTR        Fix            112.9      14       ---               12000
At CARTR @12000, proceed by ATC instructions via KSLC #4200 ft

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:25 am

USA TOUR 5th trip completed.

Today's USA Tour 5th leg was an unprecedented fun for this tour. It was really amazing to fly along two very talented pilots all the way from KFAR to KSLC, for a total of 1000 nm.

There are many things to log about this flight. Most importantly, Star has flew with a B1900D coordinating LesBof, who flew in a Vickers, and me - IHMACOL - flying in the fokker 50 to perform a triangle formation. We switched regularly the flying tip, but essentially we coordinated speed, climb speed, direction, and other variables at all times. It was a luxury multiplay fligth.

Special thanks to AirH5 for facilitate the TeamSpeak Server to provide communication during the flight.

We inittiated to FL200 heading West, but we hit rather complex high altitude clouds that prevented all visuals. So, we avoided the clouds by descending to 15000 ft alt, and heading south thru Wyoming.

As LesBof indicated above, fuel was enough to complete the trip for both the Vickers and the fokker 50, but the B1900D had to perform a refuel landing at Rawlings Municipal (KRWL). During that stop, Lesbof and I descended to 3000AGL and perfomed a holding pattern above the airport, while Star performed fueling. Both the Vickers and the fokker arrived to SLC with a bare few pounds left. Just what needed to taxi to terminal

Last approach to SLC by EAST provided amazing views of the Ashleys and the Wasatch montain range, which we overflew with a new addition to the team; Eylon, flying a very differently setup engine, the Boeing 777. And he did perform some acrobatics that did amuse us :D.

And my fokker50 was a very stable plane EXCEPT for the approach, when it failed rather miserably to i)establish ILS, ii)adapt to the GS climb descend rate and iii) disallow the AP all-together. Which proved to be a killer. I tried two KSLC approaches with no major success, and my second landing was a bare crash back to earth. Eylon asked my survival, but my plane succeded taxiing to terminal ;)
As you can see above, LesBof has provided modified version of the fokker that I will be prompt to test in the coming days.

Below, in addition to those by Omega and LesBof, I leave some of the screenshots that I captured during today's events. And welcome anyone to come and join and/or compete.

Currently the following USA TOUR trips had been completed:
  • KPHL -> KOKC _ Citation X
  • KOKC -> KIAH -> KHOU _ Seneca II
  • KHOU -> KMVC(fuel) -> KCAE _ A6M2
  • KCAE -> KFAR _ CRJ700
  • KFAR -> KSLC _ fokker50

as the map here indicates

Next USA tour flight will be Scheduled November 18th, 2012 and it will be announced in the posts soon.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:27 am

USA Tour Competition | 4th Trip: Fargo - North Dakota | CRJ700: KCAE-KFAR | SUN SEP30TH 17:00-21:00 UTC

FOURTH TRIP:
Departure from Columbia Metropolitan Airport (KCAE) - Columbia; South Carolina
ATC will be serving at SUN SEP30TH 17:00-17:30 UTC

Arrival to Hector International Airport (KFAR) - Fargo; North Dakota
ATCs will be serving at SUN SEP30TH 19:30-21:00 UTC

************************************************************************************
Leg Distance is approximately 1050 nm
Aircraft in use (all competitors): Any plane of the Bombardier CRJ700 Family,
CRJ700 (or ER/LR), CRJ900 (or ER/LR), or CRJ1000 (or ER). Note nonetheless that CRJ1000-EuroLite maximum range is less than 1000 nm, therefore is not acceptable for this leg.
ftp://ftp.kingmont.com/flightsims/flightgear/Aircraft-2.8/CRJ700-family_1.1.0.zip
Expected cruising speed at 0.75 Mach; Flying altitude: FL390
Estimate flying time (in route) 2 hours 40 min

************************************************************************************

USA TOUR is a multiplay game on flightgear across the largest cities in america per state or territory. Competing players are
welcome to join anytime. Scoring is a point system. details can be found in the older post

http://www.flightgear.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=17257

To pilots willing to join to the third trip via KFAR, They may fill the following form, and they will receive instructions email
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHhkWlQ4WS15c1ZsazFEbFJJRnR1WFE6MA;
Alternatively they may show at the departing time at KCAE, using one of the coordinates below.

Non-competing players are also willing to join at the ATC serving airports to be directed toward or from.
Please use the following starting directions, instead of launching in our in-use Runways.
Non-competing players may use any aircraft they choose.

Make sure to install appropriate scenery, or use autoscenery and TerraSync ;)

KCAE TERMINAL
--lat=33.945598 --lon=-81.126078 --heading=111
KCAE TERMINAL
--lat=33.945327 --lon=-81.126316 --heading=111
KFAR TERMINAL
--lat=46.920431 --lon=-96.824731 --heading=195
KFAR TERMINAL
--lat=46.920504 --lon=-96.826168 --heading=165

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:28 am

Flightgear Pilots

One week to USA tour trip 4th via North Dakota.

The flight plan I will be following is listed below. Remember you are free to elaborate a plan of your own if you are coming by, or you may also use the one listed. ATC service may be announced again, currently pending the presence of multiple pilots. If ATC is offered, feel free to come by and keep our ATC busy :) and help us simulate more realistic flying conditions.

COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN (KCAE) to HECTOR INTL (KFAR): 19 fixes, 1127.8 nautical miles
Cruise altitude: FL390
Cruise Speed: 0.75 Ma (430 IAS)
Estimate Time: 2 hours 40 min enroute

Details:

ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Name/Remarks
KCAE             0      0   COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN
CAE     114.7  148      6   COLUMBIA
IRQ     113.9  263     56   COLLIERS
VXV     116.4  329    157   VOLUNTEER
GHATS          331     63   GHATS
RYANS          330     41   RYANS
IIU     114.8  330     51   LOUISVILLE
KURTZ          337     57   KURTZ
MACES          337     68   MACES
BVT     115.1  337     37   BOILER
FATOX          341     16   FATOX
CADIZ          341     24   CADIZ
OBK     113    341     68   NORTHBROOK
BRIBE          295     95   BRIBE
SIBER          318     28   SIBER
ODI     117.9  317     66   NODINE
GEP     117.3  315    110   GOPHER
FAR     116.2  306    174   FARGO
KFAR             9     10   HECTOR INTL
                     1128 nm

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

USA TOUR trip 4 via KFAR happens this SUN 30th.

ATC will be available as follows:

(Omega) KCAE; 17:00-17:30 UTC. FGCOM 133.40
(Omega)  KFAR; 19:30-21:00 UTC. FGCOM 133.80

Also, pilots can locate the groundnet xml files below in their local scenery folders to access custom parking positions

KCAE: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4krviqd3oglZThFR1l0T2lGUzA/edit
KFAR: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B4krviqd3oglYUhqUHNuakxkVVU

copy the files in (i.e):
$FGROOT/Scenery/Airports/K/C/A/KCAE.groundnet.xml  AND
$TERRASYNC/Airports/K/C/A/KCAE.groundnet.xml

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

USA TOUR 4th trip completed.

Flying to North Dakota was lonesome, indeed. I am rather uninspired that no other Flight simulator's players are engaged into flying along. I may suggest that North Dakota is anyways a rather low-density population state, with its largest City, Fargo being a scarce two hundred thousand people, therfore the flying-solo feeling to this trip.

Nonetheless, I was fortunate of having Air H5's Director, Omega, servicing as KFAR TWR, and it was a nicely ATControlling by him. I use this space, again, to thank his participation.

Other than that, for previous and future potential competitors, I restate that USA tour is a long competition that aims to visit once every state and or territory on the USA using random and rather unpredictable (and secret) future legs. The distances are widely variable, and a required airplane for competitors is indicated in the forum at multiplayer's FlightGear's. For more information visit the older post

Currently the following trips had been completed:
  • KPHL -> KOKC _ Citation X
  • KOKC -> KIAH -> KHOU _ Seneca II
  • KHOU -> KMVC(fuel) -> KCAE _ A6M2
  • KCAE -> KFAR _CRJ700

as the map here indicates

Next USA tour flight will be Scheduled at October 21st, 2012. I hope to see people joining and coming by. Omega's has indicated me that he would preffer the same since that way he feels more encouraged of coming by and service as ATC. So, guys, "C'mon", mark your schedules, then at your marks, ready, fly!.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:29 am

USA Tour Competition | 3rd Trip: Columbia - South Carolina | A6M2: KHOU-KCAE | SUN SEP16TH 19:30-24:00 UTC

THIRD TRIP:
Departure from William P. Hobby Airport (KHOU) - Houston; Texas
ATC will be serving at SUN SEP16TH 19:30-20:00 UTC

Arrival to Columbia Metropolitan Airport (KCAE) - Columbia; South Carolina
ATCs will be serving at SUN SEP16TH 23:00-24:00

Leg Distance is approximately 770 nm
Aircraft in use (all competitors) A6M2 (A6 Mitsubishi Zero),
Expected cruising speed at 250 Knots (IAS); Flying altitude: 15000 ft (4572 m)
Estimate flying time (in route) 3 hours 4 min

NOTES: Departing from Texas at 19:30UTC, the following leg arrives to Columbia, South Carolina
around 23:30UTC, just around sunset. Currently Thunderstorms are present around KCAE area,
weather announcements may be listed below.

USA TOUR is a multiplay game on flightgear across the largest cities in america per state or territory. Competing players are
welcome to join anytime. Scoring is a point system. details can be found in the older post

To pilots willing to join to the third trip via KCAE, I request if they may fill the following form, and they will receive instructions email
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dEJhQ3Bsa044R29CaHRsVWp0NGxhbmc6MA

Non-competing players are also willing to join at the ATC serving airports to be directed toward or from.
Please use the following starting directions, instead of launching in our in-use Runways.
Non-competing players may use any aircraft they choose.

KHOU TERMINAL
--lat=29.653183 --lon=-95.277675 --heading=134
KHOU TERMINAL
--lat=29.652894 --lon=-95.278416 --heading=134
KCAE TERMINAL
--lat=33.945598 --lon=-81.126078 --heading=111
KCAE TERMINAL
--lat=33.945327 --lon=-81.126316 --heading=111

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Flightgear pilots

One week to USA Tour leg 3 to take place via South Carolina.

I am listing my flight-plan below and some weather update.

I again invite virtal pilots to join me. If you are joining as a contestant, then I request your use of the historical waybird A6M2, otherwise bring your favorite plane.

As mentioned above, you are also invited to traffic around ATC served airports.

WILLIAM P HOBBY (KHOU) to COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN (KCAE); 782 nautical miles
Cruising altitude 15000 ft (4580 m)

ROUTE:
KHOU SID (Alexandria Five):

Details:
ID      FREQ   TRK   DIST   Name/Remarks
KHOU             0      0   WILLIAM P HOBBY   SID ALEXANDRIA 5
IAH     166.6   28          HUMBLE
VELCO   112.1   82      88  (FIX INTERSECT LFK R082)
AEX     116.1   85   98  ALEXANDRIA   
MCB     116.7           115  MC COMB
GCV     115.7   74     362  GREENE COUNTY
MVC     116.8   70      40  MONROEVILLE
MGM     112.1   50      14  MONTGOMERY
TGE     117.3   65       7  TUSKEGEE
CSG     117.1   78      10  COLUMBUS
IRQ     113.9   64      33  COLLIERS
KCAE            61      15  COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN
      TOTAL 782 nm

Weather update: As of today, Sep09th, there is 50% chance of precipitation and chance of thunderstorms at KCAE on Sep16th. More weather updates may be announced.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

USA TOUR leg 3 completed! :D
We arrived to the fourth visited stated, South Carolina.

For details on the USA tour, you can visit the older post

It was great flying around with a second skilled competitor; LesBoF was great handling the A6M2 craft, and made it look like an easy task. Contrastingly I really struggle controlling that historical airplane, specially closer to ground.
We found that controlling the mixture on the A6M2 was not doable with the regular M/m command, therefore we spent gas at an uncontrollable rate.
For that reason we decided while on air to make a refueling stop at KMVC in the state of Alabama.
The A6M2 range of close to 1700 nm was reduced to as few as probably 500 nm, which really depicts how badly the automixture was being controlled.

On landing, as I expected I had trouble deploying landing gear; curiosly enough LesBoF did not make any mention of having similar issues on the same craft.

Wrapping up: These are the past routes of USA tour
KPHL -> KOKC _ Citation X; KOKC -> KIAH -> KHOU _ Seneca II; KHOU -> KMVC -> KCAE _ A6M2

Next leg will take place in 15 days, and I will be announcing it soon. Thanks LesBoF for your participation and I hope you can join again. It was great to go in a 2 plane float today, and I would like to see more pilots to join.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:30 am

Flight Track for USA Tour

Here are my files for USA Tour. The first section KHOU->KMVC was stored in two tracking files.
The second tracking file also contains the route KMVC->KCAE.
It is evident around KMVC my struggling into land the plane on the field without ILS help (only visual); whereas, at KCAE I locate field properly yet the landing gear failure caused the landing to be a tragedy :|

http://mpserver15.flightgear.org/modules/fgtracker/?FUNCT=FLIGHT&FLIGHTID=4095363
http://mpserver15.flightgear.org/modules/fgtracker/?FUNCT=FLIGHT&FLIGHTID=4095602

Competitors get the following scores for this leg:
IAHMCOL; TakeOff KHOU=100; FlyEnRoute=150 (3 hours); Landing KMVC=0; TakeOff KMVC=0; Landing KCAE=0, Total = 250.
LesBoF TakeOff KHOU=100; FlyEnRoute=150 (3 hours); Landing KMVC=100; TakeOff KMVC=100; Landing KCAE=100; Total= 550.

The following chart summarizes cumulative scores

**************************************************************************************************************************
SCORES

Callsign    | Flying |   ATCing  |   Cumulative |   TOTAL
IAHMCOL  |  250    |    0           |    300           |  550   
LesBoF    |  550    |    0           |    0              |  550
Omega     |  0       |    0           |    150           |  150

***************************************************************************************************************************

R.M.S.

Return to “USA Tour”