Why I left FlightGear

Problems to fly your plane?
PavlinS

Why I left FlightGear

Postby PavlinS » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:34 am

I know, I was being stupid years ago, but in my defense - than to me FlightGear was joy to fly.

In May 2019 I stopped flying FlightGear.
Few months back I had very big issue with the Mapstructure.nas file. It was making my navigation display's looking awful. The magenta line was not following the waypoints and the waypoints were looking weird without it.
As I am a Youtuber I was on my personal opinion that this will affect my views, people will start dislike me for posting videos with approaches that looks ridiculous with not proper looking ND's.
I had trait several types of fixes, I was testing staff written from Octal450 and Legoboyvdlp, still, I was getting the same problem even after clean install of FlightGear.
Problem was giving me anxiety and I decided out of pure spite to try non paid version of Prepar3D with PMDG 747.
I watched few tutorials and trait staff. Than I learned about the free shading called Tomato Shade. And what is ORBX.
Than I purchased my first ever add-on - Chaseplane camera settings. This was game changer for me in a way, since I was still a pirate that was using paid software for my ultimate enjoyment.
I trait to come back to FlightGear than, but realized that the issue went deeper.
Than Octal450 withdraw his support for the IDG A320 / A330 models and I realized that FlightGear is a sinking ship, that will lose the only developer at the time that was creating planes I was interested about - Commercial ones.
last year in February I got the funds to buy myself a very powerful custom made pc rig.
It has Intel Core i7 9700KF processor, 3.6 up to 4.9 GhZ with 8 core.
32 GB's 2666 MhZ RAM memory
NVIDIA Geforce RTX 2070 with 8 GB's of VRAM memory
1 TB SSD, 2x4TB's External HDD's [ second one took month ago]
GVM 850 W PSU
Asrock Z390 Pro4 motherboard.
Peripherials:
1. Thrustmaster 16000M FCS Flight pack [ separate rudder pedals and thrust control], that I was able to purchase a month and half ago.
2.Marantz MPM1000 condensation microphone
3.Native Instruments Komplete Audio 1 audio interface
4.LG 27" 4K montior, 60 Hz Refresh rate G2G coefficient of 0.5 [ UHD, has HDR lighting]
5.Logitech keyboard
6. Delux RGB Mouse
7.Logitech speakers with subwoofer speakers and Sennheiser headphones

So, my life is changed forever. Now even I had the money a month ago to actually purchase Prepar3D and all of the needed add-ons, in that count ORBX True Earth packages.
I am no longer a pirate. I am legit P3D user and make videos every week.

I realized that I were sitting in my zone of comfort, speaking about how great I am to learn on my own how to fly FlightGear, but I realized that I was jerk.
I opened a new leaf in my life, so that's why I am back in this forum.
I even started lessons in network system administration, but I dropped them. It is still for me not easy to understand all those terms.
I intend to become an successful Youtuber.
Thank you to you all for the support you give me thru the years.
PavlinS is doing youtube! Watch him here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC989zKrfOObLFSiKNmM8uKA

IAHM-COL

Re: Why I left FlightGear

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:48 pm

Good luck in those endeavors,
IAHMCOL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

V12

Postby V12 » Fri May 07, 2021 3:34 pm

PavlinS :
Good choice. But FG is not sinking ship. It is OpenSource project developed by volunteers in their spare time. And as non commercial project is simply fantastic. But still is far away behind X-P, or P3D, or MSFS2020 by graphics, content quality and what is worst of all - core technology. JSBSIM is ok, but stubborn preserving ancient singlethreaded core and all things in the main loop is Achille's heel of this sim.
IMHO, adding OSM without optimalization scenery engine is bad move resulted in very low fps over big cities even on powerfull machines. Other example, why I ended with FG is long time unsolved basic mistakes like strange rotated clouds after long W-E or E-W flights, discontinuity in the weather engine and poor scenery that can't be simply edited or changed.
ImageImage

PavlinS

Postby PavlinS » Wed May 12, 2021 7:38 pm

V12 wrote:PavlinS :
Good choice. But FG is not sinking ship. It is OpenSource project developed by volunteers in their spare time. And as non commercial project is simply fantastic. But still is far away behind X-P, or P3D, or MSFS2020 by graphics, content quality and what is worst of all - core technology. JSBSIM is ok, but stubborn preserving ancient singlethreaded core and all things in the main loop is Achille's heel of this sim.
IMHO, adding OSM without optimalization scenery engine is bad move resulted in very low fps over big cities even on powerfull machines. Other example, why I ended with FG is long time unsolved basic mistakes like strange rotated clouds after long W-E or E-W flights, discontinuity in the weather engine and poor scenery that can't be simply edited or changed.

I do appreciate what you have had to say, ofc I miss FlightGear as well, but to me, since Octal's discontinuing the A320 / A330 models the commercial future of this sim is limited. I do realize people do this in spare time, but I also noticed a lot of arguments [ which sometimes even I was part of]. Currently my IP address is banned in FGFS Forum. Ya, I do have a fault for it, but the censorship there and the obvious jerkface behavior of some people there to me is lot more hurtful than what I have ever said.
I still argue, but I am trying not to.
Unfortunately bmo FlightGear waste more time in arguments than into development. I know people work and do not have time, but, honestly, to me they speak more about it than actually doing something for it. I am grateful for my experience there, I did learned a lot.
But me, coming into P3D was one of the best decisions I ever made, because I get to fly good 747 and 777, also 787.
It is dream come true.
And bmo when Fs2020 get the PMDG into it it will be another transition for me, since the graphics environment is really on another level. And with the help of those high-quality planes will become the ultimate joy to fly.
This is all personal opinion.

V12

Postby V12 » Sun May 16, 2021 7:44 am

For Your information, Octal, Lego and Merspieler still working on the A320family. This plane is close to FSLabs payware A320X and have SimBrief integration.
Simply, A320family is best modern plane in the FG.
And yes, You are right, in FG is more arguments than development, especialy in simulator core. It is not normal if in FG I have 10-12 fps over OSM Manhattan, but in P3D5 on same place with far better visuals I have 30 on same machine. Sometime I will make comparison video. When I complain on some problems in FG, answer is still same - use it as it, or do it yourself better.
ImageImage

PavlinS

Postby PavlinS » Mon May 17, 2021 4:20 am

I tough they separated, but We do not speak to each other, so.
I was on the thing that Octal dev. only the MD-11 now.
V12, I don't need a lesson on how good the A320 of IDG is. I flew it myself, so I know it is the best freeware A320 in the whole flight sim world.
But, unfortunately is not possible a person to not get in argument there.
No matter how much times I reported bugs nobody was having interest to fix them, I mean, there is around 15 international airports around FlightGear with ILS glitches.
Who will want to fly it, if it can't do a simple autoland at Heathrow, JFK, KLAX, OMDB.... I mean not all flight sim people know how to land manually.
Yes, in P3D v5 performance is lot better, but what FlightGear needs more bmo is to create more detailed long haul planes if it wants to pickup interest. Unfortunately for now only PMDG can brag about how good systems there are.

V12

Postby V12 » Wed May 19, 2021 8:28 pm

PavlinS wrote:No matter how much times I reported bugs nobody was having interest to fix them

This is another FG problem. I reported incorrectly implemented terrain visualization on A320's ND and had got arrogant answer "If You don't like it, do not use it or do it better Yourself." And ofcourse tons of arguments, how it is impossible to repair it, because function is mapstructure etc etc etc. I was very angry, changed only 1 line in aircraft's (not mapstructure) NASAL routine and water is displayed according to FCOM.
ImageImage

PavlinS

Postby PavlinS » Thu May 20, 2021 11:21 am

Completely agree. But problem is - I trait some time ago with the 777 in FGFS again, was wondering how it is not, turns out - I still can't use .gpx flight plans from Skyvector, because it is still having glitches.
I can't publish videos with this plane, which means I can use only the Airbuses, but as far as I knew now only legoboyvdlp is dev. them.
We had arguments with him about it.
I still remember one story between me and one guy, called Lachlan, that was clamming that my landings with the 777 are because of my poor technique, not because the plane control surfaces are really bugged.
Than I remember Octal sticking up with me trying to explain him why I am right in my judgement and I got banned from FGFS discord community.
Since than I am losing my respect for this platform.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 22, 2021 11:31 am

Hahaha..... I got banned from discord the minute the new owner got the power to do so..... I didn't even get a chance to post again.

Flightgear will remain on the wrong path untill a group of like minded folk come together to fork it in a new direction. Hopefully at that point a more democratic system for managing the community will also come about.

Until then it's going to be the same old, same old.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

PavlinS

Postby PavlinS » Sat May 22, 2021 9:00 pm

I am sincerely surprised that they censor so much.
I got censored when I went back to their forum to give them a piece of my mind when Octal was leaving commercial development.
It was just really awful experience, my IP address is banned from their forum.
I feel regret for the fact I wasted so much time trying to make something there.
Recently I got asked on one stream I made with P3D where are my FlightGear videos.
I demolished them.
This community over there became so toxic, that I demolished all my FlightGear content because of it.
Now I feel sad and good at the same time.
Because FlightGear was the sim that made me fell in love with flight sim in a first place.

Return to “Flying”