Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals: Does It Work with Linux?

Need help getting your computer to behave? Need help installing or running FG? Need help compiling? This is your first place to start!
SkyBoat

Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals: Does It Work with Linux?

Postby SkyBoat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:02 pm

I'd like to buy rudder pedals since it is no longer possible to modify the nose wheel steering to steer aircraft with autocoordination using my Saitek Pro Flight Yoke. I'm running Linux/Ubuntu 16.04. Does anyone know if the Thrustmaster line of products will work with Linux software? This is what I would like to get. It is $89.00 compared to the $169.00 for the Logitech Saitek Pro Flight Pedals.

Thanks,

SkyBoat
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

IAHM-COL

Re: Thrustmaster T.Flight Rudder Pedals: Does It Work with Linux?

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:21 pm

oh my! that's going fancy! :)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:24 pm

Saving my pennies!
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:14 am

Oh my, going all posh and rebuild the office into a cockpit, are we? There i am with my mere twist joystick. :-)

I have no linux client. Windows client and linux servers. But i would go about it like this:

1) Look up at the manufacturers site if they have any linux drivers (downloadable) for your distro.
2) Ask the vendor if it will work with your distro.
3) Buy from a vendor where you can return the product for no reason at all, after trying.

Also have a look at alternatives. I am told that CH products has superior products, for unfortunately superior prices. Never owned a CH product myself.

Kind regards, Vincent

Falcon

Postby Falcon » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:55 am

Im just going to say you guys all know what product line I go with, and they do work for linux users. I know this because the computers at my flight school all run on linux and they all use the Saitek Proflight pedals. :)

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Well, I think I've gotten my answer to the TFRPs by reading though a few other forums. The one that had the most thorough discussion was the X-Plane forum because they use the same hardware and have the same issues we do getting things to work (In fact, it was fun to read about them grousing about several of the things we do). A few of their guys were trying the Thrustmaster pedals on Linux, but they were finding they were having to write extra script to get it to work and they weren't having very good success. They could get the pedals to work, but not optimally. These posts were from just late last year, so it is not a problem that, say, was from a few years ago that they might have subsequently solved.

Folks were using the Saitek and CH pedals, and a couple were using the expensive GoFlight Technologies equipment https://goflightinc.com/ with Linux and having no real issues.

Another determining factor was a couple of reviews comparing the Saitek, CH and Thrustmaster pedals for quality of manufacturing and performance. The Thrustmaster did not compare as well with the others in either category.

So, it looks like I'm going to have to spring for the more expensive Logitech/Saitek model, but in both the short and long run it will be working right out of the box and performing the way it is supposed to, hooked up to my other Saitek equipment. I've had enough probems with FG over the years :roll: that the thought of deliberately taking on a "project" that I don't have the expertise to fix is a waste of time, not just for me, but for the person I'd have to recruit who might know how to create the fix. Ehh, why bother at this stage. If Thrustmaster wants my business, let them write the Linux drivers for their products.

Of course, if someone has definitive evidence to the contrary, pleae let me know!

Skyboat
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:48 pm

I have no Thrustmaster stuff ... duuh, I have a Logitech Extreme 3D, that's all ... but I saw so much articles about Thrushtmaster products run on Linux, I only can't figure out which one is which. Seems, Thrustmaster is used a lot for racing games and thus, the racing wheel is like everywhere. Can you direct me somewhere where I find the actual product codes and names?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:00 am

@JWocky--

Here's a link to the X-Plane forum talking about the TFRP. About 2/3s of the way down it has all the links in one post.

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/89632-rudder-pedals-from-where/

Here's another page on the X-Plane forum where they are posting the scripts that they have been writing to try to get the pedals to work on Linux:

http://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/61978-rudder-pedals-not-working/

A word of warning. When I attempted to access the Thrustmaster website earlier and just now, their site was down for some reason. It says they are working on the issue and to try again later.
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:28 am

Yes, for some reasons, they have some technical trouble. Give them a few hours and they will be back. I look later, but with that, I can look it up and know which one you actually mean.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:30 am

Let me know when you've had a chance to check out those links. Thanks!!!
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

Return to “Technical Support”