Updating FG

Need help getting your computer to behave? Need help installing or running FG? Need help compiling? This is your first place to start!
HOM001

Updating FG

Postby HOM001 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:09 pm

So, I've been using the same version of FG for over three years now. The great FG 3.0 has had a good run, but I think its time to embrace the new. While 3.0 was great, I still can't get a lot of scenery to work, there's annoying graphics bugs, and it crashes way to often to be content with. So I figured it would take more time to repair than to replace. So I have a few questions:

1) Should I Update? I currently run FG off a 3 year old windows 8.1 Laptop with a quad-core i7 CPU and 8gb RAM, but only integrated graphics. Would my machine be able to even run the newer versions of FG?

2) How to safely update? I have dozens of gb of aircraft and scenery sitting on my computer, and I don't want to lose that data. Also, I haven't installed FG in years, so I'm kinda clueless. Requesting progressive taxi instructions.

3) Which version of FG is the best to use? (if not the latest release)

Cheers,
-Hom
FGAF_P3

IAHM-COL

Re: Updating FG

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:17 pm

What OS?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Richard

Postby Richard » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:03 pm

HOM001 wrote:1) Should I Update? I currently run FG off a 3 year old windows 8.1 Laptop with a quad-core i7 CPU and 8gb RAM

Yes you should update; however I'd recommend a side-by-side install of a newer version (i.e. install into Program Files\Flightgear 2017.2) and don't uninstall the old one. Prior to doing this take a backup of all of your data just in case.

Get the install from https://sourceforge.net/projects/flight ... e/download

The graphics load decreased slightly between 3.4 and 3.6 - so theoretically it should be about the same; but impossible to predict how it will work out.

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:08 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:What OS?

Windows 8.1
FGAF_P3

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:42 pm

Then as Richard said
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:17 am

It took half an hour to download, but the update was successful. Still have some odd scenery glitches though, but they aren't a huge deal. Thanks guys!
FGAF_P3

Return to “Technical Support”