Responding to Richard

Support, HOWTOs, information, development, and everything related to obtain scenery via Github with terraGIT
Richard

Re: Responding to Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:41 am

IAHM-COL wrote:So in the "pain zone" you get lots, for the developer.
Who also needs to now carefully place more objects.

It becomes a madness of degrees of freedom.

Have you ever used the map to place objects? It's useful because you can see what is in the scenemodels DB; and it saves typing the coordinates. However obviously for static objects the process of uploading the model is still going to be as it is now.

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:44 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
Richard wrote: whereas I'm genuinely not sure about what's going to happen with git when it comes to a merge with a newly generated V3 database

Can you clarify and take this statement away of the "FUD" realm.

How can V3 affect git (or terraGIT) for this matter.

This isn't supposed to be FUD; it's supposed to be read with the following two sentences; which are the clarification. i.e. "I'm not sure, it might work, it might not".

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:04 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
Richard wrote:and the worst case is that it is entirely incompatible and TG becomes locked with V2

Assuming that it is terraGIT, once again, how is V3 incompatible with Git? or terraGIT? I mean, further of "I am panicking", what is exactly the incompatibility?

Will it produce scenery for Flightgear in the form of files?

No need to panic, just understand that nobody knows what V3 will bring, so all we can do is to ensure that anything that is created can be recreated if needed. Assuming that the scenery generation works in much the same way it should be ok, but If the V3 modifications need to change the way files are laid out (directory structure); and/or their contents (e.g. stg) then git might struggle merging changes especially if the format of lines change to add new fields. That is basically the danger of modifying a generated set of files and why it is always better to modify the sources of data used for the generation - or to modify in such a way that the changes can be reapplied at a later date.

If V3 happens to have a new apt.dat parser in the scenery generation process then that might also impact the files in the directories, or the directories themselves..

Richard

Postby Richard » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:17 am

IAHM-COL wrote:one pic is worth thousand words approach

I made a diagram that shows how it all could play together, and how terraGIT can be used to cleanly facilitate FG scenery development neatly just by accomodating it upstream.

A picture is indeed worth 1k words. I think we are having a misunderstanding as what I'm talking about is missing from the picture.

This is my understanding of the scenery.

All items to the right of TerraGear are (as I understand it) generated from the data sources on the left.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:57 pm

Richard wrote:A picture is indeed worth 1k words. I think we are having a misunderstanding as what I'm talking about is missing from the picture.

This is my understanding of the scenery.

Oh! Wow!
Now it clarifies all....

Thanks for drawing it.

Maybe I'll go Hoorayish on you and ask you to add that diagram to the Wiki?

Thanks for the discussion.
IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “terraGIT”