TerraGIT 3.4

Support, HOWTOs, information, development, and everything related to obtain scenery via Github with terraGIT
IAHM-COL

Re: testing TerraGIT 3.2

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:44 am

laserman wrote:I did

install/Europe (111GB)

and later

install/World

du -sh
301G
...19GB less than you have.

Yes. There was a problem fetching. When this happens, git can get confused. We need to check your install

Try this

Code: Select all

git pull
git submodule init . #dot at end, since you already did install/World this is no issue
git submodule update --progress #if this comes clean, then run following command, else it will tell you if there's any tile with problems
git submodule foreach git checkout origin/master #this makes sure nothing is missing

I checked EDLM, EDLE, EDDL - they look good, except one road at EDLM is missing compared to scenery 2.0 and the real world.

I ran Trunks, Primary and Secondary roads worldwide. Anything in OSM categorized tertiary or below, I omit because it was just too much. I am unsure if this is reason why this road is now not shown

then I checked KLAS and KJFK: no buildings, no P3000 stuff and problems with taxyways/apron at KLAS

cd /space/flightgear/terraGIT/Objects/w080n40/w074n40
bash: cd: /space/flightgear/terraGIT/Objects/w080n40/w074n40: No such file or directory
(Objects/w080n40 is empty)

git pull
Already up to date.
/space/flightgear/terraGIT$ install/USA
..did nothing

clearly fetching on World faulted. Code above can help us getting you the clean installation.

what about nice custom airports like EDDB and EDDK? shall we include them in TerraGIT?

We certainly can. All I need is updated apt.dat and I can patch terraGIT.
This version of terraGIT should already include what's new on Xplane database, but if there are custom nicer apt.dats, they can be patched in
(let alone the fact that it's possibly good practice updating xplane, so future builds --by me or the cores-- gain that data too

Nonetheless, going via gateway for custom apt.dats is not needed, as they can be made available other ways.

with terraGIT it makes sense to use the latest apt.dat from Xplane so that parking & runway locations are correct, right ?

Correct. I fetched a latest apt.dat from xplane about 2 mos ago, and that's what I used. So Airports worldwide should be the newest or mostly newest versions available.

Then, for FG to read data well, terraGIT includes the apt.dats
--which replaces the default apt.dat in fgdata
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-TERRAGIT/t ... avData/apt

Finally, parking positions and similar, I plan to attempt at using your tools to build me these updated for the "Airports" directory,
but working on the P3000 models first (on the 15K airports with 3D)

I am glad you are technical enough, because this post is too much too digest
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am

laserman wrote:taxyways/apron at KLAS

Indeed.
This baffled me

the Terragear genApts has a fatal failure with certain updated airports, and the aprons are not well respected.
I've seen the problem not only at KLAS, but also at KPHX.

It is certain but not all places that aprons are covered by the default local landclass.
I tested this --a lot--

The output incorrect is definitely on genApts, cause one can build an scenery only with airports (not even a default landmass) and the damage is there.

I tried using an older ws-2.0 genapts version that does not have that problem. No success, because there are new line and lights specifications only understood on the new genapts.

After fighting with a source code beyond my capabilities, I decided to accept that sometimes there will be z-fighting on aprons in airports.

For the objects. See my post above. Your checkout of tiles is compromised. (but can be fixed)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

laserman

Re: TerraGIT 3.2

Postby laserman » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 am

my copy of the TerraGIT 3.2. world screnery seems to be complete now. :D

/space/flightgear/terraGIT$ du -sh .
327G    .

git submodule foreach git checkout origin/master

.. did the trick. the first 2 commands were finished quickly and did no output.

About Aprons/Taxiways: yes, there must be a bug in genapts. I noticed it before when I made custom airports.
I think it happens with some complex shapes / polygons.
About the road: yes it's tertiary. maybe I'll use osm2city to make the area look nicer. ;)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:20 pm

laserman wrote:my copy of the TerraGIT 3.2. world screnery seems to be complete now. :D

/space/flightgear/terraGIT$ du -sh .
327G    .

Congratz. Enjoy it. I am loving it. [Turutututu]

.. did the trick. the first 2 commands were finished quickly and did no output.

It does on the few tests I've run fetching. (most time I am pushing)
What is happening is that git changed behavior. Fetches all first. Then checkouts the commit indicated on each submodule. However, if network interrupts fetching, after it finished, aborts, and checks-out nothing. The content then remains as "objects" inside the .git hidden directory. The

forces it to bring the top of origin/master on each submodule -- which for terraGIT is actually the commit looked for, anyways--

The first commands, are generic. If something has failed the

git submodule update --progress
will report --instead of exiting silently.

In those cases, deiniting the submodule (exemple Terrain/w080n00)

git submodule deinit -f Terrain/w080n00
+ removing the corresponding .git/modules/Terrain/[tile] or .gti/modules/Object/[tile] directory,

rm .git/modules/Terrain/w080n00
fixes it. One can then reinit

git submodule init Terrain/w080n00
and reupdate.

git submodule update --progress Terrain/w080n00

About Aprons/Taxiways: yes, there must be a bug in genapts. I noticed it before when I made custom airports.
I think it happens with some complex shapes / polygons.

I KNOW there is a bug. I tested exhaustively. I even try to fix it for myself. It does happen on complex airports with the newest specs, so it must be something in the new apt.dats structures, that genapts doesnt know how to manage. Eventually I'll keep investigating, find the fix, commit to my private copy in preparation for Version 4 :)

[or the cores fix it? and then likewise]

About the road: yes it's tertiary. maybe I'll use osm2city to make the area look nicer. ;)

That'll be awesome. I always appreciate collaboration, and you can git push us improvements. or pull merge requests to us any day.

R.M.S.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:20 pm

Mt Kilimanjaro in the Morning Mist using terraGIT 3.2 scenery.

It was my privilege to work with IH-COL on the terraGIT 3.2 project. We got it completed despite the pandemic and the fact that we we live nearly on opposite ends of the West Coast

Finishing the project required us to refurbish and upgrade my gaming computer, which has enough computing power but needed to be upgraded and numerous operational issues fixed or installed so IH-COL could logon to it from his home. We used the open source software bashtop to monitor the computer's performance. If you run Linux, I recommend you install it. What amazed me was seeing all eight cores and the CPU maxed out at 100% for hours on end.

As we serviced and upgraded the computer (a home-built device that JWocky helped me design and assemble) we were also alpha testing the new scenery. Due to IH-COL's tremendous creativity, each time I flew over the test landscape (reminiscent of the Orca testing ground days) I was astonished at the brilliance of the new global landscape, even as we discovered errors and anomalies that had to be fixed. It was an exercise in the joy of flght simulation. I count it as my privilege that I was able to assist the development of terraGIT 3.2. What follows are just a few shots that exemplify the the major upgrade we all now can enjoy.

Mt Kilimanjaro, in the east African country of Tanzania, Elevation 19,341 feet, is actually a double-volcano, with Kilimanjaro anchoring the north end and Mt. Mawenzi on the south. Kilimanjaro is the highest peak in Africa. I am flying the MD-11F.

Here we see one of a multitude of scenery improvements as we fly down a canyon in Shasta Lake, Northern California. Notice especially the stratification lines in the hill to the right of the Diamond DA42.

These images are taken of the farms, rural areas, and small towns along the coastal hills that begin in Spain and end in South Portugal.

Last edited by SkyBoat on Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Correction of typos and punctuation errors.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

123apple

Postby 123apple » Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:58 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:the Terragear genApts has a fatal failure with certain updated airports, and the aprons are not well respected.

Have you replaced polygons with taxiway objects in World Editor? Polygons will not be parsed by genapts850 as they are not contained within the .dat file but rather a .dsf file.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:09 pm

123apple wrote:Have you replaced polygons with taxiway objects in World Editor? Polygons will not be parsed by genapts850 as they are not contained within the .dat file but rather a .dsf file.

Short answer. No.
I didnt know some of the concrete surfaces would not be available to genapts via apt.dat.

Long answer
Thanks for the hint. This is good to know for preparing TerraGIT 4 release. The apron/polygon issue was the only thing really really bothered me. Now that I know how to attack the problem I will do my best to implement a solution.
Using WED directly is probably not an scalable solution, I think. But I can work with the problem knowing the origin. Thanks for that.

R.M.S.

123apple

Postby 123apple » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:58 pm

AFAIK the merge request from d-echo to d-laser's repo allowed scripted conversion.

(if not, let me know, I should have a copy of the script here somewhere... albeit I preferred doing it manually in WED for more limited areas than the whole world ! :D )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:57 pm

I'll investigate.
I see pull request now.
Thanks for the heads up.

Wondering if a reasonable alternative would be to change terragear genapts to work with both input (apt + dsf). or if the apt generated by the python script is good enough.

Good plan for terraGIT 4 release in some time from now.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:35 am

Project3000 Project14000 ready for TerraGIT implementation

The Project3000 has now been updated:

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-SCENERY/Project3000/releases
https://github.com/FGMEMBERS-SCENERY/Project3000

This includes objects for approximately 14000 airports and Animated Jetways specifications for approximately 500 airports worldwide.

The Project3000 now also match updated elevation to the new TerraGIT 3.2 release, and it will be merged to the new terraGIT for an increased Shared Objects coverage World Wide.

R.M.S.

Return to “terraGIT”