WS2.5 (via Terragit) scenery issues

Support, HOWTOs, information, development, and everything related to obtain scenery via Github with terraGIT
Richard

WS2.5 (via Terragit) scenery issues

Postby Richard » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:42 pm

After recent discussions both here and in the official forums I figured that it was time to have a proper look at WS 2.5 using TG. I've had my fair share of problems with TS, and I think we all know that the standard V2.0 has problems with certain airports, and some rivers.

So I install/Europe. Had a fair few issues with the clone- the scripts aren't the most resilient as had to delete a few folders and reinit - but eventually managed it. I can't really say much more about the process of cloning - it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped but not an insurmountable problem.

Starting at my favourite airbase (LSGS) and flew one of my standard routes around the valleys. Unfortunately there are some new problems with the mountains.So I tried a few other locations and there are definitely some bugs in the terrain mesh building.

Didn't manage to figure out how to get the OSM buildings; and I miss these as they add a lot to the visual experience.

Over London I found another bad seam. Image

I will be continuing to us TG for a while so I can properly evaluate how it works for me; at the moment I'm disappointed with Sion because the mountains are the best part of Switzerland.

IAHM-COL

Re: WS2.5 (via Terragit) scenery issues

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:12 pm

thanks for reporting.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:57 am

any ideas why the OSM buildings aren't showing up?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:31 am

yes. cause they arent there in terraGIT.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Catalanoic

Postby Catalanoic » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:32 am

OSM data occupes a lot more disk space, and is just recently developed

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:28 pm

We should have a vote down mechanism so answers like that could have a realistic qualifier over completeness, accuracy and pertinence.

My vote down to that info by catalanoic

R.M.S.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:13 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:My vote down to that info by catalanoic

Not sure if that's a good idea; as by this logic I'd have to vote down your answer to his answer because it adds nothing; then you'd vote down my answer, etc. -), and we all know what would happen to the discussion.

I'd prefer to keep this on topic; The end part of his answer was pretty much all the explanation needed; i.e. it's recently developed and would probably require something to be done to get into WS2.5.

So, is there a plan to get the OSM buildings, roads, etc. into WS2.5 or is it something that will be later, or just not going to happen?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:48 pm

ws 2.5 has OSM buildings and roads already. In some parts. Different to those of those in terrasync

About plans to also add those that are or will be added to terrasync, its something that we all have to talk about.

1. OSM features are not as new. They ve been available for LOOOOONG time before terrasync began implementing. they were available in terraGIT months before terrasync, anyways.
2. terrasync has changed 2ice the way it implements these features and I'm not sure if they have it mature enough or know enough how are they going to implement, so I'm giving them some slack with the hope they make their mind, so we can figure out how and if we want it.

Last time they talk about this openly, they mention some 200GB of OSM data. I find this a bit overboard.

R.M.S.

Richard

Postby Richard » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:42 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:ws 2.5 has OSM buildings and roads already.

1. OSM features are not as new. They ve been available for LOOOOONG time before terrasync began implementing. they were available in terraGIT months before terrasync, anyways.
2. terrasync has changed 2ice the way it implements these features and I'm not sure if they have it mature enough or know enough how are they going to implement, so I'm giving them some slack with the hope they make their mind, so we can figure out how and if we want it.

Last time they talk about this openly, they mention some 200GB of OSM data. I find this a bit overboard.

1 - I'm really talking about the recent changes to WS2.0 and the core enable OSM features to be selected from the rendering dialog; this is different to just having the OSM features as part of the geometry. I don't know whether the way OSM is layered ontop of WS2.0 is going to be compatible with WS2.5 and whether or not it would be possible to pull in OSM from WS2.0 via terrafs.

2 - It is fair to say there is a fair amount of development in this area; I'm not an expert on it, so it's worth keeping up to date with the official development list; it's my understanding that the roads that are currently under development (for moving vehicle lights).

There is a lot of data in OSM. I just checked the buildings tags and that's roughly 465,000,000 buildings (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/building), and 4,351,254,008 objects in total.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:49 pm

Richard wrote:I don't know whether the way OSM is layered ontop of WS2.0 is going to be compatible with WS2.5 and whether or not it would be possible to pull in OSM from WS2.0 via terrafs.

If you wish, try it out.
It seems something really easy to do locally.
in fact if you use terrafs, you can even just create the corresponding symlinks in your own version of terraGIT and then you'll see what (and if) happens.

IH-COL

R.M.S.

Return to “terraGIT”