WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH ALL THESE TERRIBLE FDMs that no-one finishes!

Since IAHM-COL, SHM, and I are kind of cut off from the "official" world by royal decree of King Curt and his chancelor Grima-Snake-Tongue ...[ oh wait, wrong story ] ... we are sometimes a little confused and have to ask those who have still access about what is going on.
bomber

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH ALL THESE TERRIBLE FDMs that no-one finishes!

Postby bomber » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:34 pm

That'll be because when a core dev comes out and publicly posts that Flightgear isn't about excellence in flight models, you're not going to build up much of a flight modeling community.

But heh I'm just an argumentative sod, what do I know.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Re: WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH ALL THESE TERRIBLE FDMs that no-one finishes!

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 pm

well...

the crafting of FDM is a really fine skill that requires outstanding patience and outstanding attention to detail. Also a big amount of very specific knowledge.

Most aircrafts in FG are created very rapidly, as a rather crude and inaccurate 3d model, and also retrofitted a generic _not perfected_ FDM (and naturally a generic _not customized_ autopilot)

You can per example compare this in helijah's mode of aircraft production.

Now: is people with the required expertise encouraged to jump to the band-wagon and implement a more refined FDM? Or is people clarified of the concept of "aircraft maintainer" which limits the freedom to take these half-made aircrafts into more complete and complex aircrafts? Every person that puts their hands in an aircraft in FG rapidly self-entitles as someone with enough ownership to even tell someone else to consider deleting a given fork.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Here's a thought.

Remember when you tackled revising one of the older FG vintage gliders a few years back with a new JSBsim FDM, and you released it and no one could fly it? And those who tested it kept mentioning that it seemed grossly nose heavy?

And you didn't listen..

And you kept re-releasing it with the same problem at least 3 or 4 times, and people would test it and it still would not fly without an inordinate amount of back stick?

Do you actually have an installation of FlightGear on your computer? I mean you have everyone test your stuff, but you don't seem to bother with it yourself.

I find this odd coming from someone who developed in TargetWare, who chronicled his discovery that the Maryland was able to take a flak hit in the stab-elevators and continue to fly like nothing happened. Because it had way too large and too long rear fuselage aerodynamic body.

I test my aircraft, extensively and with a fairly critical eye to baselines of top speed, climb and engine performance. Yes they are YAsim.

I really don't think you have much latitude for engaging in criticism of other FG developer's flight models, given the past.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:02 pm

That glider, Ask13 is still my defacto flight model that I'm working on....

You accuse me of not listening to peoples opinions.... you have no idea. I listen and I change... it's why that flight models been rewritten from scratch 20 times.

Your flight models hit the numbers.... you're too scared to put your reputation where your mouth is and refuse to do the Beagle pup so please give it a rest as to how good your flight models are and how you test them...

And yes I don't test my flight models.... that was and is the whole point of my flight models. For someone pretty dumb.... lets say a 3d modeller with no experience and his only skill to be able to measure distance and use a spreadsheet to approximate weight distribution to be able to make flight model quicker and better then at present..

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT ?

So accuse me of not listening to others criticisms of my work, because that's a fecking lie.. So I see you've learnt something from Thorsten, making shit up to discredit someone.

And BTW I've never criticised any Flightgear flight modeller...... but I'll make an exception for you, but then again you're not a flight modeller are you.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:12 pm

I think I posted this didn't I? :oops:

But I can count on one hand the good airline FDMs, and on another hand the good fighter FDMs. I never flew other, so I won't comment there.

If you start a plane, at least finish the FDM first, I think FDM is the first of second thing to do in an aircraft!!! Then get to making it pretty and complex.

Josh

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:50 pm

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:20 pm

What is the deal with t4t and bomber?
I saw it at many places.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:02 pm

In what way ?

I'm only too happy to explain the deal with me :)

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:33 pm

bomber wrote:In what way ?

I'm only too happy to explain the deal with me :)

I am totally clueless on that :)
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Ok I used to run a mod in Targetware called Target4Today.... which was a WWII bomber sim. This is where I first met Lester who worked on a mod for WWI called Richthofen skys.

When Targetware went belly up, I attempted to bring the T4T team to Flightgear, that's about 20 people experienced in coding, flight modeling, 3D, 2D, scenario building, terrain building and documentation. But was met with a very negative attitude to the whole idea of a mulit-player online combat flight sim on Flightgear. We looked at bombable, tried to contact it's writer but got stonewalled and some of our professional coders got treated very rudely by the core devs.

So over a period of time, the team drifted away to other sims and I stayed working on flight models thinking that JSBsim was capable of being adapted to meet the requirements of a complex damage model. We kept our eye on other sims, and a few of us found ourselves using the Outerra engine as they too use JSBsim. We also turned down a lucrative offer from 'Next Gen' but that's another story.

And that's about it really, in time we'll more than probably open up an online combat sim using the Outerra engine, at which time I'll end up working on that engine 100%..

But until then you have the pleasure of my company working on flight models.

Return to “Can someone tell me ... the weird world of "official" FG”