Aircraft CC and GPL License and non-GPL FGAddon Question

Since IAHM-COL, SHM, and I are kind of cut off from the "official" world by royal decree of King Curt and his chancelor Grima-Snake-Tongue ...[ oh wait, wrong story ] ... we are sometimes a little confused and have to ask those who have still access about what is going on.
bomber

Re: Aircraft CC and GPL License and non-GPL FGAddon Question

Postby bomber » Fri May 22, 2020 8:57 pm

I don't believe I'm saying it but bugman is asking the right questions....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 23, 2020 12:24 am

Jesus Lord. In the time of Coronavirus, what Do I hear?

Hear! Hear!
Heresy in the Free Speech Forum!!!!
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 10:17 am

What is the definition of a 'whole' when it comes to GPL within Flightgear ?

I've just spent 8 months developing a flightmodel for a helicopter in JSBsim... interestingly JSBsim don't believe I've broken their GPL licence by creating a CC xml file to supply data to their GPL code.

I consider my work to be a whole.... I created the whole of the flight model without any 3d or 2d or animation involvement, only right at the end did I mix it with an existing 3d model so that people using it could visualise it better, clearer.

Did my flight model become less of a whole because now people can 'see' it's effects clearer via a 3d exterior model ?

As far as I can see this is simply a case of Thorsten being a baby, and not wanting those that use non GPL licenced work to be able to also call up his GPL code to make visualisation easier.... how is this in the spirit of co-operation and collaboration ?

So now they're looking at avenues of how they can keep Thorsten happy with his childish attitude.... my thoughts If he can't grow up and adapt to a growing desire by the FG community to put this licence issue to bed he needs to leave !

I'd much rather have Josh and others with their CC work in FG than Thorsten poisoning the well every time this comes up.

Simon
Last edited by bomber on Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 am

Let's refresh what the original question was...

Hi,
Wanted to get some opinions based off a thought I had lately.

If I were to create a JSBsim and systems for an aircraft, who's 3D model was only available under CC Share Alike Non Commercial, are my systems and FDM restricted to the same license when included in the same folder? Or, may I license my files under GPL and leave the 3D and such under CC (which a notice obviously for explaining it)

Lets say assuming that the author of the 3D doesn't want to use GPL.

All in all such a plane will never end up in FGAddon, I am wondering, in addition, what if there was to be a Non-GPL FGAddon as well, that could be optionally switched on in the launcher (such as how linux distros will ask if you want to use non-free software for certain devices and such during install).

Just want to gather some opinions since there are many nice planes without GPL around.

Kind Regards,
Josh

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 2:28 pm

Thorsten wrote :
I admit my sympathy for non-GPL projects comes in degrees - I can fully relate to people wanting to work under a 'no commercial' clause, less so under a 'no derivatives'. The former group I would like to help out, the latter rather not.

For countless years you have made it your mission to prevent dual licence vehicles... You have used the blunt instrument of your influence and scorn to alienate a large portion of the FLIGHTSIM moding community.

You personally frustrated me and my efforts within the flightgear community to such an extent that I lost my patience and got a ban for a very trivial remark, that you used against me.

Your attitude towards people who could have given a much needed boost, change of direction or fresh thinking towards the development in Flightgear has put the reputation of flightgear in a very bad light.

Maybe though there is light at the end of the tunnel.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 23, 2020 2:30 pm

bomber wrote:Maybe though there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah!./ No./
Thorsten is a black hole... (4$$ hole?)

not tunnel
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 5:14 pm

Hooray wrote
"the future, the other party may not be "just another contributor", but potentially a 3rd party (say a group like fgmembers or a commercial entity like FPS), trying to find a viable community/business model by exploiting such loopholes and grey areas"

Just when you think there might be some dropping of the enmity.

FGMembers does not exploit anyone, it exist for me because core devs couldn't be bothered to communicate with those people that didn't want others selling their work, but would still have liked to contribute to an open sourced flightsim.

They made this place possible out of their own stubbornness
Last edited by bomber on Sat May 23, 2020 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bomber

Postby bomber » Sat May 23, 2020 7:13 pm

Oh my..... It looks like bugman just grew a pair !

bomber

Postby bomber » Sun May 24, 2020 8:25 am

Thorsten wrote "Yes - so basically every FAQ and explanation people can dig up in the internet disagrees with what you say"

If you apply blinkers and only read the parts of the FAQ that agree with your opinion then yeh.... however if you read where is says data in a separate file isn't effected by a GPL program using it...

you're then asking why you if you talk about data in the previous post

I know that all NASA material on it (manual, wind tunnel data,...)

you fail to accept that a plane in FG is made up of data files... data in the form of point clouds, in the form of a UV map, in the form of RGB file, data in the form of table and calcs..... data data data

Simon

Return to “Can someone tell me ... the weird world of "official" FG”