All animals are equal

Since IAHM-COL, SHM, and I are kind of cut off from the "official" world by royal decree of King Curt and his chancelor Grima-Snake-Tongue ...[ oh wait, wrong story ] ... we are sometimes a little confused and have to ask those who have still access about what is going on.
bomber

All animals are equal

Postby bomber » Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:45 pm

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic. ... 4d37ec0b7d

Just some are more equal than others.

In this season of goodwill Thorsten shows his true nature in that he goes out of his way to make it difficult for those in our community that don't wish others to sell their work.

"I frankly don't see the point of making FG 'easy to use' for non-GPL use cases - in fact I'd invest my time doing the opposite."

When will people learn we are better together than constant infighting ?

I offered to work on the P47 but OPRF told me very politely to 'f off'..... It's always very polite.

I believe this GPL only rule is divisive so I actually welcome any move towards developing a multi license plane that's accepted by this community.

Regards

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Re: All animals are equal

Postby bomber » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:34 am

The continued points being made are absurd, GPL is not a virus that infects others work, it does not give any rights to change the licence of other people's work... But what is more absurd is dividing the community over a point that surely no one in the FG community will ever do...... And that is, to sell for profit other peoples work.

We have 2 licenced here that allow us all to develop and push FG forward. They both allow us to take others work and copy it, modify it and redistribute it.... WHAT MORE DO WE ACTUALLY NEED !

Holding out for the nuclear option of "I must also be allowed to sell others work" is something that as a community we shouldn't even be contemplating the actions of.

Both licenced may not be strictly 100% compatible, but in the world of FG they could be made to be, if instead of concentrating on the single difference we concentrated on what we ALL have in common.

Simon.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:07 pm

It s just that there is indeed a group of people that either capitalize or attempt at capitalizing from the work of Flightgear volunteers by selling development of aircrafts.

in fact, the spot price today is $18 US Dollars for the content of FGAddon, and $62 US Dollars for the program + Scenery + Aircraft collections

http://store.flightgear.org/product/flightgear-aircraft-collection/
http://store.flightgear.org/product/flightgear-complete-collection-128gb-usb/

Royalties had never come my way for my buildings in Terrasync, which are included in this commercial collection.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:12 pm

I don't for one second think that any sale of flightgear for distribution purposes generates any money above the cost of administration, materials, labour and such..... Such being the running costs of flighgear website..... It's quite clear that the prices you quote don't reflect the true monetary value of work.

No actual commercial gain is made..... and certainly no money makes it into any individuals pocket.

No one's retiring on a flightgear pension.

But I'd have more respect for their actions if this was the case, as opposed to the petty vindictive acts of sad individuals.

Return to “Can someone tell me ... the weird world of "official" FG”