Physic question

Since IAHM-COL, SHM, and I are kind of cut off from the "official" world by royal decree of King Curt and his chancelor Grima-Snake-Tongue ...[ oh wait, wrong story ] ... we are sometimes a little confused and have to ask those who have still access about what is going on.
bomber

Physic question

Postby bomber » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:56 pm

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic. ... 2bf60c4369

Only V12 gives a thoughtful response..... And do any of the others actually flight model ? Tinkering with a few values isn't flight modelling.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Re: Physic question

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:10 am

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Re: Physic question

Postby bomber » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:14 am

The problems caused by this type of 'rah rah rah'..... 'how dare you say this' response is that there's never an honest conversation about moving flight modeling forward. To my mind flight modeling is stuck in the 70's using techniques that were all very well is understanding the basic stability of the plane and to enable the test pilot to feel confident about stepping into the plane, but surely we want more than that from our flight models ?
Also people confuse 'system' with the flight model. The auto-pilot, fuel, hydraulics and avionics systems etc augment the flight model and so add a richness to the plane but they're not the flight model. So putting forward an airliner as an example of a good flight model says volumes about peoples understanding of flight modeling. I had many conversations with Hvengel about his P51 and although he was happy with it, he was disappointed that he couldn't simply transfer it to other planes. He'd learnt a lot, gained many techniques along the way yet was unable to use it on other planes.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Return to “Can someone tell me ... the weird world of "official" FG”