SBA Flight 518

This is a project about missing planes. An d not only MH370. Think Amelia Earhard, Flying Tiger's Super Connie and similar. Over a century, dozens of planes went missing without a trace or went down under pretty mysterious circumstances. Now, since we fly a simulator, I have this idea, we can (and I need the help of better pilots than I am) maybe reconstruct those last flights as good as we can. Not that I really expect, we solve those mysteries, I am just curious. So hwo is in?
legoboyvdlp

SBA Flight 518

Postby legoboyvdlp » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:21 pm

Santa Barbara Flight 518. Merida Airport in the Andes of Venezuela. Febuary 21 2008. An ATR42.
The pilots are drinking coffee in the terminal; the passengers are on board already, including important politicians. The captain looks at his watch and then the two rush to the plane. Seven minutes to ETOT.

They don't do the checklist. Battery on, call for engine start to the Tower, and immediately start the engines without waiting for a reply. Alerted of inbound Avior flight ten minutes away. They don't do the checklists. They start to move... 28 seconds before the IRS is aligned. No EFIS.

They expediate taxi to the runway. The captai comments on the blank screens -- says that it is normal to take off like that.

The F/O takes off. They begin the OBSERVATORIO route... an unofficial, risky route out of the airport nestled in a valley below mountains reaching up to 14000 feet.

They rely on the standard compass, hoping to reset the gyros in flight.

They turn too far north. They hit the mountain.

Lesson? Don't rush, no matter how delayed you are.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

Berkut

Re: SBA Flight 518

Postby Berkut » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:52 pm

Gethereritis......at it's worst....and not just in that case,but in many many other .

Regards

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:20 am

What stupids. Takeoff without IRS allign. No checklists. Not waiting for clearance to startup.

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:31 am

legoboyvdlp wrote:Lesson? Don't rush, no matter how delayed you are.

How I wished people taught this kinds of lessons. Unfortunately far too many cases of people (with power, usually) forcing jobs to be rushed which end in tragedy

Return to “Historical, missing planes”