MH370

This is a project about missing planes. An d not only MH370. Think Amelia Earhard, Flying Tiger's Super Connie and similar. Over a century, dozens of planes went missing without a trace or went down under pretty mysterious circumstances. Now, since we fly a simulator, I have this idea, we can (and I need the help of better pilots than I am) maybe reconstruct those last flights as good as we can. Not that I really expect, we solve those mysteries, I am just curious. So hwo is in?
jwocky
Site Admin

Re: MH370

Postby jwocky » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:16 pm

Well, a 777 has quite some good gliding attitude ... so with a non-suicidal pilot who tries to water in a shallow angle on the yoke ... she would go probably down failry level and with the RAT, he would have even enough electricity for the hydraulic pumps for the flaps in the last minutes.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:21 pm

If i were doing such suicide, i would not wait till the tanks are completely empty, but make a nice landing with power on the engines. The few miles that you win by flying until empty do not matter much on that distance flown.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:17 am

KL-666 wrote:If i were doing such suicide, i would not wait till the tanks are completely empty, but make a nice landing with power on the engines. The few miles that you win by flying until empty do not matter much on that distance flown.

Not sure why you would do that :lol: but if I were suicidal I'd jump off a roof like everyone else. But OK, assuming the scenario, the moment out of range I'd just put it in a descent at full power like that GermanWing guy into the water. Why set it nicely in the water, survive, and then immediately regret the actions and die and suffer slowly..

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:25 am

That was said before: to sink the plane in one piece instead of leaving a debris field on the surface. Unfindability is paramount to never be able to prove suicide. So the insurance pays out to the family. Why did the guy fly to a desolate ocean in the first place? Exactly.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:42 am

KL-666 wrote:That was said before: to sink the plane in one piece instead of leaving a debris field on the surface. Unfindability is paramount to never be able to prove suicide. So the insurance pays out to the family. Why did the guy fly to a desolate ocean in the first place? Exactly.

Well, I don't know how insurance works in your part of the world, but in Malaysia, depending on insurance company, they needed proof of death before insurance is paid out. So cases of disappearances, there are plenty I have known about where there won't be any payout, or depending on company, have to wait 10 years. There are still many lawsuits and issues with MH370 and many have been unable to claim to this day (and we're talking about the victims - the passengers themselves). But assuming the pilots, or hijacker, doesn't know about this. Person who had suicidal tendencies would tend have records,such as GermanWings case, very obvious that one - broke up with girlfriend, lavish spending on cars etc.

Apparently the Captain hasn't shown stresses to point would point to obvious suicide, and the FO was about to get married, even though both may have something against them as well (Captain's friend who's a politician and his flightsim :? and the FO's previous case with letting passengers into the cockpit). There's also the aircraft engineer on board (person who knows his way around plane systems) on his way to China on the list of suspects.

And then there's the cargo. Up to this day, the stupid cargo wasn't properly clarified. Only Fruits. Then, oh there were some batteries. What else? GPS/magnetic overriding equipment??

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 1:47 am

My comment was about *if* someone were to suicide. Not whether it (likely) happened in this case.

Kind regards, Vincent

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Apr 21, 2016 7:30 am

FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Apr 21, 2016 4:32 pm

For now the only confirmed finds are of parts that you may expect to come loose with a controlled water landing. Wings and engines. It would be interesting to know if any interior parts are found. I only heard of one interior panel that is not confirmed as far as i know.

Kind regards, Vincent

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:53 pm

Which kind of makes the story even more mysterious because it basically confirms, the plane cut communication, went transponder off and steered south instead of north. That is on the behavioural side inconsistent with a suicidal pilot (compare Germanwings for example). And the whole insurance idea doesn't make sense to me, if someone wanted to drop in water, he could always use the South China Sea for that. No need to fly almost till Australia. This extreme long flight, till the fuel was empty, indicates more, someone treid to win time and keep the plane away from anything, that could be considered a target.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

SHM

Postby SHM » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:16 am

FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Return to “Historical, missing planes”