MH370

This is a project about missing planes. An d not only MH370. Think Amelia Earhard, Flying Tiger's Super Connie and similar. Over a century, dozens of planes went missing without a trace or went down under pretty mysterious circumstances. Now, since we fly a simulator, I have this idea, we can (and I need the help of better pilots than I am) maybe reconstruct those last flights as good as we can. Not that I really expect, we solve those mysteries, I am just curious. So hwo is in?
KL-666

Re: MH370

Postby KL-666 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:13 am

People can get obscured from reality for many reasons. Some are even chasing Pokemons. But can someone be so obscured, to fly all the way down the indian ocean to see his dream house? And have a perfectly good landing passing over his dream house?

Unfortunately reality kicks in very fast after touch down. You die in a polar ocean. Or was the dieing so fast that you never knew that you were in a different reality?

Anyway, it might be a better location to search the ocean bottom, than where they do now without any results.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

MH370 FAKE ISLAND!!!

Postby HJ1an » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:36 am

KL-666 wrote:People can get obscured from reality for many reasons. Some are even chasing Pokemons. But can someone be so obscured, to fly all the way down the indian ocean to see his dream house? And have a perfectly good landing passing over his dream house?

Just thinking that. But it does put *some* (if only a bit) sense into a suicide theory. You know, like how some people, the hopelessly romantic kind, when they commit suicide, they dress up in their best clothes, put on their best make up, go to whatever location that they felt was the best place to die. It is an actual (even if imagined) destination that actually needs putting some effort into, instead of a random blank space. Especially when that destination is an imagined location of the perfect representation of a place people want it to be...

Now, the problem is if Captain Shah just has this in part of his scenery, and that is where the plane ended up, is a bit too coincidental... such as he flew from KL to India, midway got bored, reset the simulator to New Island and hence the plot shows a path no unlike the one that they actually took, or the island and simlator and everything could be entirely coincidental at once, who knows, stranger things have happened.

Perhaps they need to re-investigate passenger possession or computer to include imaginary island. After all, that web site even has printed books and maps and coins and stuff.

Yellow is supposed actual path, red is the supposed simulator path..

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:36 pm

The problem with this idea is, that this is a level of delusion that would be already a complete psychotic break from reality and a patient that far out usually is unable to go to the grocery and work a shopping list of five items. To get a plane taxied from an apron on a runway and bring it in the air would be totally out of question.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:00 am

jwocky wrote:The problem with this idea is, that this is a level of delusion that would be already a complete psychotic break from reality and a patient that far out usually is unable to go to the grocery and work a shopping list of five items. To get a plane taxied from an apron on a runway and bring it in the air would be totally out of question.

Well, if we're talking about the pilots, then they are a trained professionals after all and carring out a take off is second nature.

But yes, like everything else, it seemed far fetched. Having said that, I have a friend who said she has some kind of ongoing sickness. So instead of going to see the doctor to see what it is all about, she decided that praying often and NOT seeing doctor was the best option e.g. what you don't know won't harm you(?). Using that as a delusional benchmark or what you would call it, the hijacker may deem imaginary New Island as an entrance to paradise, who knows? (yea sorry - obviously I'm not a psychologist just speculating again..)

In Malaysia, the level of delusion some people suffer from, are - to me at least - quite extreme (the worst of them work as politicians). But they function in society somewhat normally in the grand scheme of things. Well if you can call that normal... there may be a breaking point but it's not there yet

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:41 pm

Normally, with that level of delusions, basically a complete psychotic break, trained pilots or not, it would be rather a surprise, if someone would find the airport, not even talking about the terminal, plane or cockpit or a taxi- or runway
Some people in the field may would argue, it could be, theoretically, possible, if flying the plane was part of the delusion, but even then, it would be extreme doubtful, such a patient would be able to process any input he would get from the instruments or the outside. He would draw attention at any security check, he would probably also show face twitches. He wouldn't be able to react logically on any contact with the ATCs for example. So, forget this theory.

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:08 am

Just an interesting read:

Gibson, 59, made headlines around the world earlier this year after he found debris from a Boeing 777 that was later confirmed to be a piece of the infamous Malaysia flight 370 aircraft, which went missing shortly after take-off on 8 March 2014 with 239 people on board.

After diligently working to transfer the panel to the authorities, Gibson stayed on the case, conducting his own unpaid investigation in 12 countries to solve the mystery of flight 370.

http://www.bbc.com/travel/story/2016102 ... flight-370

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:25 pm

ATSB has published an update report on 2 november.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5771773/ae-2014-054_debris-update_2nov2016.pdf

It is mostly about showing the likelihood that they search the ocean in the right location. Another interesting analysis is that due to the locations of damage on the found flaps, the flaps were most likely retracted at impact.

- The right outboard flap was most likely in the retracted position at the time it separated from
the wing.
- The right flaperon was probably at, or close to, the neutral position at the time it separated from
the wing.

This of course makes a controlled ditching less likely. But a hard impact with the ocean makes me doubt whether there is wreckage large enough to be detected at great depth. Maybe the engines are big enough?

Anyway, i do not think searching the ocean bottom is a 100% financial loss. There is invaluable data collected to chart the ocean bottom, and maybe find scientifically interesting geological features. As far as i am concerned, they may search and chart the entire Indian ocean.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:55 am

KL-666 wrote:
- The right outboard flap was most likely in the retracted position at the time it separated from
the wing.
- The right flaperon was probably at, or close to, the neutral position at the time it separated from
the wing.

This of course makes a controlled ditching less likely. But a hard impact with the ocean makes me doubt whether there is wreckage large enough to be detected at great depth. Maybe the engines are big enough?

Interesting that they were able to come to that conclusion by examining the pieces. I'd be intereted to see what observations about it was used to determine that. Well landing in the ocean will surely break up the entire plane anyway - so even if it was done, the idea of an entire intact wreckage (ie no floatation life jackets or seat cushions) sinking simply just won't be possible IMO. The ocean was simply to big to detect the floating pieces, which would have sunken or sunbleached disntegrated entirely - or both - by now.

Anyway, i do not think searching the ocean bottom is a 100% financial loss. There is invaluable data collected to chart the ocean bottom, and maybe find scientifically interesting geological features. As far as i am concerned, they may search and chart the entire Indian ocean.

If we are talking about financially, it is definitely a loss. Unless they find the worlds largest treasure chest. But scientifically, or research-wise, it's definitely a big boon.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:26 pm

Not hard to spot. If a surface is in when it is ripped off, the anchor points (not sure about the right technical term in English) will be ripped open forward and the joint axis will be bent against the direction of force in the tracks, if the surface is out (like a flap at higher settings), the joint axis will be only slightly bent but the and limiter of the track will be bent extremely upward and will leave significant groves on the axis. I hope, I get the description good enough to make the difference transparent?

On the other question: A good sonar towed over the ground can pick up on metal parts of under a quare meter surface if towed slow enough and the search grid is close enough which is not only a question of planning but most also the weather. Higher waves and stronger winds make it harder to keep a search track with the necessary precision.

SHM

Postby SHM » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:27 pm

The CVR and FDR are probably useless now! So there goes the main evidence.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Return to “Historical, missing planes”