Lead D-Day C-47 "That's All Brother" Found and Being Restored

This is a project about missing planes. An d not only MH370. Think Amelia Earhard, Flying Tiger's Super Connie and similar. Over a century, dozens of planes went missing without a trace or went down under pretty mysterious circumstances. Now, since we fly a simulator, I have this idea, we can (and I need the help of better pilots than I am) maybe reconstruct those last flights as good as we can. Not that I really expect, we solve those mysteries, I am just curious. So hwo is in?
SkyBoat

Lead D-Day C-47 "That's All Brother" Found and Being Restored

Postby SkyBoat » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:27 pm

Sometimes we get lucky and a plane that has been missing for decades is found and actually able to be restored to fly.

Below is a link to the New York Times article of the discovery and acquisition of the C-47 that led the Allied air assault on D-Day, June 6, 1944. Named, "That's All Brother," an allusion to the end of Hitler and the Nazi regime, the plane had been sold to a private owner and changed hands several times before being tracked down in Wisconsin owned by a company that disassembles old planes and uses the parts to restore others. The company did not know the history of the plane. Fortunately, the original tail number was still on it and a sharp-eyed aircraft historian spotted it.

The article gives the details of the hunt for the plane, which now is hoped to fly in the D-Day Celebration in Europe in 2019. We get a rare happy ending on this one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/29/us/d-day-plane-c-47.html?module=WatchingPortal&region=c-column-middle-span-region&pgType=Homepage&action=click&mediaId=thumb_square&state=standard&contentPlacement=3&version=internal&contentCollection=www.nytimes.com&contentId=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.nytimes.com%2F2018%2F01%2F29%2Fus%2Fd-day-plane-c-47.html&eventName=Watching-article-click

SkyBoat
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

swamp

Re: Lead D-Day C-47 "That's All Brother" Found and Being Restored

Postby swamp » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:01 am

Nice find Skyboat.

SP-BAN

Re: Lead D-Day C-47 "That's All Brother" Found and Being Restored

Postby SP-BAN » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:13 pm

Hello bagno is anyone interested in D-DAY.I found page on which it shows an air fields from which airplanes flew during thefrom which airplanes flew during the D-Day invasion. Not all in FG but few FG's are recognize EGDO, Spitfire and bombers EGDE.Paratroperes drop was near Carenton EGHF. Marine Aviation Squadron EGKA, Spitfire EGH probably in D-Day. I can not find what airplanes they were flying.

http://img7.gram.pl/20070713151841.jpg

Return to “Historical, missing planes”