What Happened to the Slack Dev Channel

This is a thread to announce, who comes, goes or is just absent for some days/weeks due to out of FG reasons for example
IAHM-COL

Re: What Happened to the Slack Dev Channel

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:39 pm

just as bomber says.
Everyone in the opensource community that develops knows that you can update a repository if you can write to it, or you can send a pull request to update one that you wish. Deleting or trying to delete someone else's repository? that does not sound right to me, but oh well....

Best,
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

airzona

Postby airzona » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:33 pm

bomber wrote:Why not simply keep the repository up to date ?

Or ensure that there are links to the most up to date repository ?

Having a single place, doesn't necessarily mean the files have to be located here, only that they can be located from a single place ..

Or we could just roam around the internet looking for up-to-date planes here there and everywhere.... Quite frankly I find this a ridiculous idea and detrimental to the community.

Y E S :!:

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:42 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:just as bomber says.
Everyone in the opensource community that develops knows that you can update a repository if you can write to it, or you can send a pull request to update one that you wish. Deleting or trying to delete someone else's repository? that does not sound right to me, but oh well....

It's not about deleting the work of someone else. It is about deleting a clone of deprecated work e.g. from me or IDG that causes confusion and false bug reports. I will definitely not bother about updating every fork that some random people make of my development repositories and for some reason promote as "the best FG repository" or something.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:34 pm

D-ECHO wrote:It's not about deleting the work of someone else. It is about deleting a clone of deprecated work

This is some serious mind-bending exercise right there. Bravo!
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:42 pm

It's clearly not about the deprecated work as you have the ability to put a text file link to your dev and publishing repositories...

This is about YOU not wanting anyone finding your work via the FGmembers repository..

What does it matter where their starting point is as long as they find their way to your most up-to-date work ?
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

123apple

Postby 123apple » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:17 pm

That's somewhat the point - isn't it - FGMEBMERS isn't distributing the most up-to-date work!

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:53 pm

The point is, it's only a developers personal FG politics that excludes FGmembers as another point of distribution... The last time I looked drag and drop of a hyperlink file takes only a second..

FGmembers is an attempt to have a single location source.

The core Dev teams sabatoge of it and subsequent release of their 'libaries' system is just them playing catch up.... A rather waste of development time that could have been spent on other things.

This pathetic power struggle that Curt et al is waging over these last few years is wasteful.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:22 pm

As I've been here nearly since FGM's creation, I've seen one major problems. People are just allowed to modify shit without asking the dev team first. This is PROBLEMATIC in every possible way to a good project.

I have strict contribution rules and because of this our planes have not had much mess or bugs caused by this. While others do. Its not hard to see the logic.

Kind Regards,
Josh

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:59 pm

I agree, so try an see this logic.

If you don't have a permanent link back to your own (up-to-date) work, how are people going to find it ?

If there is a 'clone' of your work here, then this should be labeled as a WIP project, allowing people to modify content (you did give them permission by giving it a GPL licence)

Bare in mind people modifying the plane... it's not YOUR plane, yours is safely back in your repository allows you to see their possible improvements without them having to bother you endlessly.

If you think it's bad now... wait till you find the website that's selling your planes.

regards

Simon

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:06 pm

For the most part I agree with you.

bomber wrote:If you don't have a permanent link back to your own (up-to-date) work, how are people going to find it ?

Based on the GitHub download statistics I have, doesn't seem to be a problems.

bomber wrote:If there is a 'clone' of your work here, then this should be labeled as a WIP project, allowing people to modify content (you did give them permission by giving it a GPL licence)

Yeah I know, and I will never forgive myself for that.

bomber wrote:Bare in mind people modifying the plane... it's not YOUR plane, yours is safely back in your repository allows you to see their possible improvements without them having to bother you endlessly.

Well, it is my plane. It has my name on it. I did most of the programming on it. Without me, no FDM. Only few systems, no autopilots, no display canvas, etc etc etc. But GPL basically removes my rights to anything.

bomber wrote:If you think it's bad now... wait till you find the website that's selling your planes.

Yeah... Just another reason that I am a moron for ever using GPL.

Kind Regards,
Josh

Return to “Coming/Going/Absent for a short time”