Free Speech

Free speech and open source development
Octal450

Re: Free Speech

Postby Octal450 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:14 pm

Yes, but it means we may still run into a similar problem in the future...

I find that strange also.

Regards,
Josh

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:39 pm

the admin and moderators team is working on setting a code of conduct that will allow us to avoid this in the future or provide a means to do behavior control instead of "damage" control.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

==bomber==

Postby ==bomber== » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:43 pm

However it ought to be understood that it's been determined that this signature isn't against present forum rules.

So the question to the users of this forum is are you generally ok with a member of this forum calling someone on this or another forum
'that they are acting like Hilter"

It's not like we're asking you if you'd do it, but rather does it work you up into an incandescent with rage, or is it just not that big a deal to you.

Simon

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:48 pm

It's an on purpose insult to Germans.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:37 pm

The problem with such "calling names" is, they are just names. Those names refer to historic events. You can call for example someone Homer Simpson ... well, that would be an insult and just that. An easy case.
The comparison with Hitler, Castro, Mao, Hussein or other historic persons is, at least in my opinion another matter because it makes a statement about the compared person allegedly has parallels in the behavior. As a statement, it has to be true, otherwise, it is a lie. A deliberate lie with the intention to damage the reputation of a person or a group of persons is called "libel" and it is actually in most civilized countries a felony that can be pursuit by law and in civil law suits as well. The measure in such cases is not necessarily "name calling" but the "truth of the statement". Which means, just like it meant for Lydiot also for Oscar now, since he is obviously still here, he is either a felon (by intentionally lying to damage the reputation of a person or group of persons) or we have to make him legally clean by banning him ... which, at the current state of things is something, we don't do till the rules are written down for everybody to read and are decided upon. Due processes need some time, sorry.
Soooo ... given the situation, nothing will probably happen about Oscar's signature, but since he opened the door, it is of course now, because it can be easily verified by his signature, to call him for example a "liar" or a "troll" or, since methods like those were actually invented by Dr. Joseph Goebbels, "Dr. Goebbels".
The other option is of course, to just ignore him ... ignore him when he ATCs, ignore him when he arrives at a controlled airport, ignore him when he wants to participate in a group flight, ignore him when he appears on Mumble.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:45 pm

Those who know me:
I would like your opinion.

I have received alot of support recently, and want to thank all for this.

Do you think it worth it to continue a little development, on maybe only 1, 2, or 3 planes? Also college is getting closer and closer, and I won't have alot of time. Plus I have personal issues to resolve. Would it be worth it?

I am asking this from a personal standpoint, not from a "I want this plane to be finished" opinion.

Regards,
Josh

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:17 pm

Josh, I really fight with lack of time and I have a lot of other stuff going on and still ... see, it is not about number of planes, it is not about deadlines, it is just about doing something for fun for some hours in between before the stress eats you. Some fly, some tinker, but basically same thing. Getting the head free from the stress and chaos on other levels is what it makes worth it.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:41 pm

@Josh

From "a personal standpoint"; I like dedicating time to FG as a time-off daily life.
Daily life takes precedence, specially when real-life gets busy it cuts FG down a lot (like this past January, for me)

But the main point is that building scenerios, Flying in the Tour, ATCing in the festival... are all things that give me pleasure, fun, balance (as in not everything in life is work) and interactions with good friends.

You are one of my favorite friends to fly along with. Very accomplished pilot and fun to talk in mumble on the tour and stuff.

In addition, I saw a lot of grow in you from your very first push to FGMEMBERS (which was actually a mistake) to your progress of several MD planes and similar three-engines. We even co-worked in some planes some time.

So, also from a personal standpoint, I look forward to keep that friendship we've built long time. And if you ever get over your recess and make some more development that'll be cool too. If not, at least I hope you saw your own personal growth and all stuff you learn as your gain for all the cool work you left us with.

Best,
IH-COLK
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:42 pm

@Bomber: Why are you filing an "off topic report"? If you feel it is a bad idea to clean up the damage of the trench war earlier here, why aren't you making a suggestion to move this part of the thread somewhere alse and if everybody agrees, do it? You are a mod now!

==bomber==

Postby ==bomber== » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:20 pm

Because I thought that was the way to do it....

If it's not why have a "this post is off topic" option...

Yes I could just play the judge jury executioner role but at this sensitive time I thought it was prudent to involve the moderating team.

Return to “Free Speech”