Inspiration

Free speech and open source development
cain

Inspiration

Postby cain » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:37 pm

A quote from the famous Greek author Nikos Kazantzakis.

"In order to succeed, we must first believe that we can"

;)

IAHM-COL

Re: Inspiration

Postby IAHM-COL » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:16 am

mmm.. I like a quote sharing thread :)

This is one, I particularly find suit

George Orwell, c 1945 wrote:If large numbers of people believe in freedom of speech, there will be freedom of speech, even if the law forbids it. But if public opinion is sluggish, inconvenient minorities will be persecuted, even if laws exist to protect them.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:23 pm

another quote for today

Richard Stallman, 2005 wrote:If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, then five years from now, would they still have free software? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:06 pm

Another Quote "of the day"

Richard Stallman wrote:Value your freedom or you will lose it, teaches history. 'Don't bother us with politics', respond those who don't want to learn

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:48 am

Normally, I hate to quote myself, but this one fits the thread:

Success is 10 percent inspiration, 90 percent transpiration and at least 5 percent visionary powers. And because that ads up to more than hundred percent, success is often based on luck and timing instead.

So ... by luck or by working at 110% capacity, at least success is not impossible ... we only need to define what we see as success.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Side

Postby Side » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting from Les Luthiers (Argentinian humoristic musicians) "From 100% waching TV, 50% is the half" :D

Hello everybody!!

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:14 pm

Hi Side!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:25 pm

"Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
-T Pain
FGAF_P3

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:14 am

A quote a little bit brainier about git vs other centralized SCMs, by Linus Torvalds; when explained the justifications to begin writing git software.

Linus Torvalds wrote:<<I'm not going to touch Linux until I have a replacement for BitKeeper for doing source code maintenance>>. And one of the replacement options was going back to tarballs and patches, but nobody really really liked that anymore. So I actually looked at a lot of alternatives. Most of them I could discard without even trying them out. If you're not distributed, you are not worth using, it's that simple.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:22 pm

J. Stalin wrote:It is enough that the people know there was an election. The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything.

J. Stalin wrote:Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Ugly stuff, FGADDon and its vehement "official" support show these to be unalterable facts! :S

R.M.S.

Return to “Free Speech”