Re: Age demographic of FGMembers

Postby Side » Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:59 pm

it0uchpods wrote:@Side
well, I'd say you are doing well :D!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:25 pm

For the fun of it

The average age of FGMEMBERS', given the current poll results (at the time of writing this, first 19 votes), is

36.15 years
(Calculated as a Weighted arithmetic mean)

So, Simon:
How does this stand against the hypothesis that this group is only populated by disenfranchised teenagers?

IH-COL

PS: This list is a good comparison chart:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_median_age#Countries

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:22 am

This is really good data, and I am looking foward to seeing the "n" increase over time. As one who has been trained in statistics, I would also appreciate knowing our standard deviation (Pearson's "r" would be fine) as well as the median score.

The reason to see the standard deviation is to know how tightly the scores are distributed around the mean. Looking at our bar graph above, I am going to estimate the standard deviation for the sample group is quite large. As more people enter their ages, however, that might change and the graph begin to look more like a normal curve.

I happen to like the median score, because, unlike the mean, it is a real number not a calcluation, and gives a particularly accurate picture of the distribution of the sample because it is not as influenced by very large or small outliers the larger the sample grows. Right now our median falls in the 30-40 range (whatever person number 10's age is), which we would expect from the mean (somewhere between 30 and X), but as the sample grows that might change. We know IAHM-COL is 35, but we don't know the age of the other person who answered in that age category. So we know the median might be 35 years of age, but it might be above or below that age, as well.

Citing all three gives a nicely defined picture of the statistics that are being generated by the data. At a certain point, perhaps when the "n" gets over 30, then someone should run an analysis of variance (ANOVA) to test for statistical significance at the alpha = 0.05 level.

SkyBoat/DrDavid
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

T-URBO

Postby T-URBO » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:55 am

the 10-20 and 20-30 are even at 25%. Interesting curve.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:30 am

If the curtites were correct, there would be a huuuge (yuuuge :lol: ) bulge at the bottom two decades and the rest of the demographic look absolutely skeletal (or cachectic in medicalese). That would have been evident from the beginning of the poll. By their reasoning our average should be between 18-23.

I admit I have nothing objective to judge it against, because I've done no research, but our little sample right now, probably looks like a fairly normal gaming user curve, with 50% under the age of 30. But only up to the age of 40, I'd reckon. But that fails to take into account what the median is, which now is over 30 and our average is over 30. So, the allegation that FGMEMBERS is just an adolescent brat-pack led by a trio of malcontents doesn't hold water. We have, after all two people already in the poll who are over age 60!

I think in the end, the FGMEMBERS curve will resemble an isosceles triangle with perhaps two humps. Those who verbally attacked bomber will be soundly proven wrong (once again).

Edited for punctuation and clarity.
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:10 am

+1

bomber

Postby bomber » Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:09 am

Something taken back to the FG community from Fgmembers.... Oh how the blood must boil.

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29730
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:48 am

(Image courtesy Fox News Channel)

Megyn Kelly the moment after she hears through her earpiece that her next interview will be curt and Thorsten R. at the same time, realizing her first question will get her banned from the forum.

Huh. I understand why she looks so sad for the first part of that but not the second.

*Political Satire
SkyBoat

Donald Douglas

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:01 am

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:23 pm

By the way, these are the results for the official forum:
D-ECHO wrote:So the results for the moment are: