Why are teenagers so immature?

Free speech and open source development
Lydiot

Re: Why are teenagers so immature?

Postby Lydiot » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:47 am

It's difficult in societies prone to litigation, I think. Schools don't dare to be too strict because they might suffer getting sued which isn't good for business. And I'm also not talking about spanking.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

MountainFlyerN22

Postby MountainFlyerN22 » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:04 am

legoboyvdlp wrote:Finally, am I weird for studying Airbus manuals?

No your not weird....unless something wrong with me reading manuals and working on machinery instead of playing video games.(FG is a flight simulator,not a video game)

Not sure I understand teenagers either....including myself.
A ghost in two worlds.

Sanni

Postby Sanni » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:38 am

+1 :)
...studied the manual of the UH-1: because it is a simulator!

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:27 pm

Some unsorted side notes, just as food for thought:

1.) In profiling, there is the term of a psychopaths, which is basically an antisocial personality disorder. Psychopaths are narcissistic personality types with a lot of bottled up rage, an under-developed and quite confused emotional life and a very strong sense of entitlement. But the DSM, the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, states also clearly, it is impossible to diagnose a psychopath before the age of at least 18 years because most teenagers will otherwise diagnose automatically as psychopaths.

2.) Cell phones work as radios with electromagnetic waves of a maximal sending power of 2W. Which is about 1/300 of the power of a microwave. Since cell damage caused by electromagnetic waves is random and cumulative, it is certainly not a good idea to hold a mini-microwave 24/7 on your ear, especially not since it is one of the places on the human skull where a hole in the skull provides even less shielding.

3.) Studies from the 70s in Berkeley indicate, the attention span of puberting girls is on average 27 seconds. Which is the time, the human brain needs to see for example a boy and process the picture against personal taste categories. There are to my knowledge no equivalent studies for boys because it was technically impossible to measure the attention span of puberting boys.
Newer theories are based on the fact, that the average time of teenagers between two tweets if not distracted by food or the other gender is also on average 27 seconds.

4.) Estradiol, a derivative of testosterone and a form of estrogen is chemically connected to violence, criminal behavior and utter confusion. Normally, it's not a problem because levels are over adult lives diminishing and by all means after being for years permanently under the influence, we got used to it and compensate. For teenagers however, those substances are new and therefore in their effects stronger. Just like the first drink in oyur life has a much stronger impact than the thousandth.

5.) If you manage to read this post till point 5, your attention span was just proven to be beyond 27 seconds and you missed a tweet ... congratulations!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:31 pm

Thanks, JWOCKY. Interesting stuff there, especially point 3. 27 seconds... hmm, not a lot, eh?
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:00 pm

See, here is the funny part ... those problems are discussed as long as mankind exists. Every generation claims the one following is stupid and the one before them is already brain calcified. Sanherib, an Assyrian king (705-681 BCE) already complained his teenage sons were so stupid and his relationship to his father (Sargon II) was bad because his father had already complaint to his advisers why for the Gods sake, he hadn't been blessed with a brighter son. And Amenhotep III had a lot to say about his son who would later become Pharaoh Amenhotep IV, better known as Khuophenaten. Especially interesting in this matter are also the sons of Ramses II, the Great, who complained (in order of age), that their younger brothers were so stupid. To add a little smile to is, s sister actually wrote a poem about the general stupidity of teenage boys which contains clear hints about her brothers.
So, the question is not new, obviously not. The usual thing is to wait a little bit. Life is a cruel drill master. They are maybe without commitment yet and they butcher their language all the time with tweet-speak, but at some point, they have to go out in life. Now, if their boss speaks tweet too, maybe this will be the new standard and in twenty years, they will complain that thier kids can't speak a good tweet to save their lives, who knows. If not, they will be out of a jb till they learned. One part of the human condition is the delusion we escaped Charles Darwin, but truth is, he gets to all of us, only via the socail network nowadays.

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:27 pm

Hah! Nice research on Egypt and Assyria.
And I don't think anyone will get a job with a resume stating:
I went to school 4 3 yers.
Y'think?
Maybe in a hundred years!
But hopefully it doesn't last past 18 :)
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 pm

One of those 'stupid' teenage sons murdered Sennacherib.
Sennacherib was assassinated in obscure circumstances in 681 BCE, apparently by his eldest son.
:S

Code: Select all

The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
And his cohorts were gleaming in purple and gold;
And the sheen of their spears was like stars on the sea,
When the blue wave rolls nightly on deep Galilee.

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!

And there lay the steed with his nostril all wide,
But through it there rolled not the breath of his pride;
And the foam of his gasping lay white on the turf,
And cold as the spray of the rock-beating surf.

And there lay the rider distorted and pale,
With the dew on his brow, and the rust on his mail:
And the tents were all silent, the banners alone,
The lances unlifted, the trumpet unblown.

And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail,
And the idols are broke in the temple of Baal;
And the might of the Gentile, unsmote by the sword,
Hath melted like snow in the glance of the Lord!

Learnt that a while ago.

Then Isaiah the son of Amoz sent unto Hezekiah, saying, Thus saith the Lord God of Israel, Whereas thou hast prayed to me against Sennacherib king of Assyria:

22 This is the word which the Lord hath spoken concerning him; The virgin, the daughter of Zion, hath despised thee, and laughed thee to scorn; the daughter of Jerusalem hath shaken her head at thee.

23 Whom hast thou reproached and blasphemed? and against whom hast thou exalted thy voice, and lifted up thine eyes on high? even against the Holy One of Israel.

24 By thy servants hast thou reproached the Lord, and hast said, By the multitude of my chariots am I come up to the height of the mountains, to the sides of Lebanon; and I will cut down the tall cedars thereof, and the choice fir trees thereof: and I will enter into the height of his border, and the forest of his Carmel.

25 I have digged, and drunk water; and with the sole of my feet have I dried up all the rivers of the besieged places.

26 Hast thou not heard long ago, how I have done it; and of ancient times, that I have formed it? now have I brought it to pass, that thou shouldest be to lay waste defenced cities into ruinous heaps.

27 Therefore their inhabitants were of small power, they were dismayed and confounded: they were as the grass of the field, and as the green herb, as the grass on the housetops, and as corn blasted before it be grown up.

28 But I know thy abode, and thy going out, and thy coming in, and thy rage against me.

29 Because thy rage against me, and thy tumult, is come up into mine ears, therefore will I put my hook in thy nose, and my bridle in thy lips, and I will turn thee back by the way by which thou camest.

30 And this shall be a sign unto thee, Ye shall eat this year such as groweth of itself; and the second year that which springeth of the same: and in the third year sow ye, and reap, and plant vineyards, and eat the fruit thereof.

31 And the remnant that is escaped of the house of Judah shall again take root downward, and bear fruit upward:

32 For out of Jerusalem shall go forth a remnant, and they that escape out of mount Zion: the zeal of the Lord of hosts shall do this.

33 Therefore thus saith the Lord concerning the king of Assyria, He shall not come into this city, nor shoot an arrow there, nor come before it with shields, nor cast a bank against it.

34 By the way that he came, by the same shall he return, and shall not come into this city, saith the Lord.

35 For I will defend this city to save it for mine own sake, and for my servant David's sake.

36 Then the angel of the Lord went forth, and smote in the camp of the Assyrians a hundred and fourscore and five thousand: and when they arose early in the morning, behold, they were all dead corpses.

37 So Sennacherib king of Assyria departed, and went and returned, and dwelt at Nineveh.

38 And it came to pass, as he was worshipping in the house of Nisroch his god, that Adrammelech and Sharezer his sons smote him with the sword; and they escaped into the land of Armenia: and Esarhaddon his son reigned in his stead.

And there it is in the Bible.

Or for you, JWOCKY:

Da sandte Jesaja, der Sohn des Amoz, zu Hiskia und ließ ihm sagen: So spricht der Herr, der Gott Israels: Was du wegen Sanheribs, des Königs von Assyrien, zu mir gebetet hast —
22 nun, dies ist das Wort, das der Herr gegen ihn geredet hat: »Es verachtet dich, es spottet über dich die Jungfrau, die Tochter Zion; die Tochter Jerusalem schüttelt das Haupt über dich[a].
23 Wen hast du verhöhnt und gelästert? Und gegen wen hast du deine Stimme erhoben und deine Augen [stolz] emporgerichtet? Gegen den Heiligen Israels!
24 Du hast durch deine Knechte den Herrn verhöhnt und gesagt: ›Mit der Menge meiner Streitwagen bin ich auf die Gipfel der Berge gestiegen, auf das äußerste Ende des Libanon. Und ich will seine hohen Zedernbäume abhauen und seine auserlesenen Zypressen, und will auf seine äußerste Höhe kommen, in den Wald seines Lustgartens.
25 Ich habe Wasser gegraben und ausgetrunken und trockne mit meinen Fußsohlen alle Ströme Ägyptens aus!
26 Hast du aber nicht gehört, dass ich dies längst vorbereitet und seit den Tagen der Vorzeit beschlossen habe? Nun aber habe ich es kommen lassen, dass du feste Städte zu öden Steinhaufen verwüstet hast.
27 Und ihre Einwohner waren machtlos; sie erschraken und wurden zuschanden; sie wurden wie das Gras auf dem Feld und wie grünes Kraut, wie Gras auf den Dächern und wie Korn, das versengt wurde, ehe es aufgeschossen ist.
28 Ich weiß um deinen Wohnsitz und um dein Aus- und Einziehen, und dass du gegen mich tobst.
29 Weil du denn gegen mich tobst und dein Übermut[b] mir zu Ohren gekommen ist, so will ich dir meinen Ring in die Nase legen und meinen Zaum in dein Maul, und ich will dich auf dem Weg wieder zurückführen, auf dem du gekommen bist!«
30 Und das soll dir[c] zum Zeichen sein: In diesem Jahr werdet ihr Brachwuchs essen und im zweiten Jahr, was von selbst wachsen wird; im dritten Jahr aber sollt ihr säen und ernten und Weinberge pflanzen und deren Früchte essen!
31 Und was vom Haus Juda entkommen und übrig geblieben ist, wird wieder nach unten Wurzeln schlagen und nach oben Frucht tragen;
32 denn von Jerusalem wird ein Überrest ausgehen und Entkommene vom Berg Zion. Der Eifer des Herrn der Heerscharen wird dies tun!
33 Darum, so spricht der Herr über den König von Assyrien: Er soll nicht in diese Stadt hineinkommen und keinen Pfeil hineinschießen und mit keinem Schild gegen sie anrücken und keinen Wall gegen sie aufwerfen.
34 Auf dem Weg, auf dem er gekommen ist, soll er wieder zurückkehren; aber in diese Stadt soll er nicht eindringen; der Herr sagt es!
35 Denn ich will diese Stadt beschirmen, um sie zu erretten um meinetwillen und um meines Knechtes David willen!
36 Und der Engel des Herrn ging aus und erschlug im Lager der Assyrer 185 000 Mann. Und als man am Morgen früh aufstand, siehe, da waren diese alle tot, lauter Leichen.
37 Da brach Sanherib, der König von Assyrien, auf und zog fort, und er kehrte heim und blieb in Ninive.
38 Und es geschah, als er im Haus seines Gottes Nisroch anbetete, da erschlugen ihn seine Söhne Adrammelech und Sarezer mit dem Schwert; und sie entkamen in das Land Ararat. Und sein Sohn Esarhaddon wurde König an seiner Stelle.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:50 pm

Nicely done, Lego!
See, so he underestimated his stupid son ... or overestimated his moralic competence ... hard to judge that one.
I think, over the next few decades, going to school for so and so many years will become insufficient in many countries. Companies will go back more and more to perform their own tests. No offence against the US educational system, but the next time, I meet an US engineer fresh from university (UNIVERSITY, not just college) who is unable to resolve a cross set between two integrals, I cry! The educational system in some parts of the world (not only the US, that was only an example) is so watered down that the results are very very unsatisfying and this will go worse. The philosophy of common core for example (and solution that could be reasonable argued about it counts as right) will definitvely clash hard in reality, where for example 5+5 still adds up to 10 ...

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:36 pm

I am a teenager, but I consider my self more mature than others. I never talk using that incorrect language, or any of those stupid teenage things. Yes, I have a cellphone. It is a smartphone. I barely use it. I only use it to call, take pictures, or occasionally check my email. When I want to watch videos or do something else, I use a computer, so that my eyesight does not worsen by looking at those small screens the whole day. I have my own bank account, job, and I even learned to cook.

Return to “Free Speech”