Perhaps Helicopters aren't all that bad....

Post here the craziest flight actions, we will make a poll at some point and do something with the pictures. Only hell knows what, but that's the nature of a Prize for outstanding Craziness!
HOM001

Perhaps Helicopters aren't all that bad....

Postby HOM001 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:42 am

So, I think I've got this down. I didn't realize that the Mi24 had wheels, so unlike the Bo105 I was flying, I don't have to worry about making sure that the thing doesn't flip while skidding down the runway.

Anyway, I took it for a spin around the San Francisco area. I took off from Hayward (KHWD) and went over and landed on that weird bridge with all the power lines. Well, apparently whoever made the bridge made it in two layers, so I went through the bridge desk and landed on an invisible lower surface.

I also went a little crazy with the infinite missiles on the Mi24 before making the landing.... :P
FGAF_P3

sanhozay

Re: Perhaps Helicopters aren't all that bad....

Postby sanhozay » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:34 am

There's no point flying a helicopter if you don't land on random objects. :D

Oil platforms are quite a challenge. There are plenty around, for example if you start at EGOW and fly on a track of about 260*, you'll see one quite near the coast. From there, you'll see others further west and a larger complex toward MALUD.

Skyscrapers are also challenging. So places like New York and Dubai. Or you can get a small helicopter on the base of the Statue of Liberty.

Perhaps the most difficult is the vertical hover descent into a sports stadium. Again, there are plenty of these around. I have yet to succeed in this, I usually end up hanging off the stands somewhere. :roll:

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:26 pm

My strategy for helicopter flying is "do what you need to do and get out of that thing before something bad happens". Means, I fly the USA Tour leg and then won't touch a heli for months :lol:
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:40 am

Challenge accepted for random object:
http://imgur.com/4tMvuqC
FGAF_P3

sanhozay

Postby sanhozay » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 am

Far too easy, your first one was better. Must try harder ... :D

I probably average a 40% crash rate trying to do this. The problem is the ground effect from the landing pad; if you drift off the pad when you try to descend, the ground lift disappears and you "fall" over the side. Plus there is the tower and crane to avoid. It's difficult but good practice -- I find it's better to watch the horizon for the hover rather than looking down.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:29 pm

For some reason spinning windmills are associated with madness. Flying a helicopter must drive a man completely nuts.

Kind regards, Vincent

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:05 pm

Couple years back landing on the KSFO tower was considered a good challenge, of course the ATC's running the place were tearing their hair out over all the uncontrolled hooliganism.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:19 pm

@Sanhozay
40% is outstanding

I need a heliport the size of OMDB to succeed at heli landing :D
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:05 pm

sanhozay wrote:Far too easy, your first one was better. Must try harder ... :D

(Image)

I probably average a 40% crash rate trying to do this. The problem is the ground effect from the landing pad; if you drift off the pad when you try to descend, the ground lift disappears and you "fall" over the side. Plus there is the tower and crane to avoid. It's difficult but good practice -- I find it's better to watch the horizon for the hover rather than looking down.

Challenge Accepted!

After nearly a dozen attempts, I landed it! No joysticks or any of that fancy crap. Just a keyboard, a mouse, and a landing pad.
http://i.imgur.com/ufjX9rE.png

Only problem is, I accidentally retracted the gear mid-flight xD
FGAF_P3

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:08 pm

Hi HOM001

FG Helicopter pilot

You are becoming one of "them" :P :lol: 8-) :D :twisted: :mrgreen:

Good job landing a platform!
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “The Willy ... the prize for outstanding craziness!”