Olympic Open Fly-by Friday 5th 2130utc T-O SBSP

clrcoda

Olympic Open Fly-by Friday 5th 2130utc T-O SBSP

Postby clrcoda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Greetings! fellow flight enthusiasts. It's that time again.

Every 2 years, the virtual pilots of Flightgear have gathered to celebrate this event for the Opening of the Olympics with a Fly-By over the Host's Major Statium during the Ceremonies, in real time.

This year is Maracana Statium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, just west of SBGL.
We simulate the idea that the Olympics Entertainment Committee has hired us for a multinational fly-by.

As always, we would like to continue to extend an open invitation to any and all simpilots that would like to participate. We have had great fun at these events in the past, and look forward to such events in the future.

With newer versions of Flightgear, each highlighting a new default scenery, this new scenery often coincides with cities chosen to host the Olympics. A side effect of this event is that a group of us get to take a tour of what has been added to scenery, a chance for the developers to show off a bit and if they are participating, then we get la tour le grand from the expert.

At the very least, pilots local to the area get to proudly show us there home. The rest of us get to see Flightgear progressing.

Current details:
This, below, is what we have so far, subject to change, and we would like to hear your opinions. Especially the opinions of people local to the event.

I'm Raymond (aka ava0028, clrcoda, Rastm2) , and I have been volunteered to help co-ordinate this years events ( my honor to do so). Please use this thread, or similar thread at FGforum to make your opinions known to me.

The real event is scheduled with ceremonies to begin Friday evening, August 5 at 8pm (2000BRT) Brazil Rio local time. This time works out to be 2300UTC. This is the time we would like to be flying over the Maracana Statium.

In order to do some site seeing, especially the city and the well represented Christ the Redeemer statue, this year we have decided on using craft that can fly at 150 knots.

This is by no means a limitation. This is meant to be easy and inclusive. Pilots are open to fly what ever they feel comfortable flying. The core group will be flying props that can make 150. Faster or slower craft can either calculate statium arrival time to meet the core group for the fly by, or indeed have their very own personal flyby.

You can take off from anywhere.
Some of us plan to gather in Sao Paulo, SBSP, about 1.5 to 2 hours ( 2100 to 2130utc) before the fly over. We will fly the runway heading until 500 feet altitude and then turn South east for the coast.
Following the coast east north east to the Redeemer, turning north north west there for Maracana statium, back to the Redeemer for landing prayers, and then to an active runway at SBGL.
If we have a tour guide present, then the tour guide shall take over the flight plan by communication using the normal means, such as mumble, irc, in-plane chat, you get the point.

Offical irc channel for the flight is #charter on the flightgear server, and in mumble will be global-charter-clone. Those channels are currently open and manned by at least myself when I am awake until the flight. (sometimes I'm in the mumble English channel, but I'm always AVA28 in mumble and Raystm# in IRC and clrcoda at the different forums)

That's the basic flight plan. Easy. Nothing to complicated. Suggestions welcome.

We look forward to your participation.
Those in the United States, please disregard the Television delay time of the start of the ceremonies. ( delayed 1 hour east coast and 4 hours west)

I currently know of people joining the flight coming from places, to name a few, like South Africa (+1 to UTC which is about 22:30 pm local flight time), all the way to Hawaii (-7 to UTC or about 12:30pm local flight time) and several in between.

I look forward to your fellowship.
--Ray

clrcoda

Re: Olympic Open Fly-by Friday 5th 2130utc T-O SBSP

Postby clrcoda » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:11 pm

The corrected IRC channel is #charterVA, sorry. -- ray

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:13 am

count me in :)
I'll charter the Colombian delegation: SKBO - SBGL. I'll report what plane type I'll book for this charter.
(chances are it is going to be the A350XWB in Avianca livery)

Friday @21:30 I am still unable. but as soon as I get back home that day, I'll launch in Bogota and prepare departure. Probably around Sat 6th 01:00UTC
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:27 am

Thanks for posting, Israel! I was hoping you could make it because often you make a flight a flight worth having. :)

KIWI34

Postby KIWI34 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 am

I'm quite interested, although it does seem far fetched I'm going to fly over the stadium in an A380, just give me the time of arrival and ill put it into the route manager to match it :)

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:10 am

Hello All-- Sounds like a blast! Count me in. I'll figure out when and where I'll start from and let you know soon. Thanks for organizing the fly-by!

DrDavid/Skyboat
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:22 pm

I am seriously considering the 747-8vvip, since I didn't fly her in a while. Maybe I just join Israel because my flying porcupine can come from everywhere ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:15 pm

clrcoda wrote:Thanks for posting, Israel! I was hoping you could make it because often you make a flight a flight worth having. :)

Thanks Ray, for the invitation and the kind words .... :D

Keep in mind I am coming 3 h late!! Trying to join the event as soon as I get back from work, on Friday night.
And I'll be departing from SKBO which puts me 5+ hrs away of Rio, so I'll be probably a late arrival, when all event is finished (8h after it had begun)
I'll plug into mumble as soon as able, and get to your channel, on Friday night/Saturday early morning (1AM UTC)

jwocky wrote:I am seriously considering the 747-8vvip, since I didn't fly her in a while. Maybe I just join Israel because my flying porcupine can come from everywhere ...

Awesome! D:
I'll get the Porcupine livery on the 748VIP ready for the event ....

Again, notice that the event begins in Rio on Friday @2130UTC with the fly-over. So if you have the time, you can consider joining the guys much earlier than my able-departure on Sat 6th.

IH-COL reports:

JWocky and I will be flying :

Callsign | Aircraft: AVA4243 (Avianca (not Atlas!) 4243) | A359 (Airburs A350WXB)
Callsign | Aircraft: JWOCKY | B748VIP
Departure, ETD: SKBO, Sat Aug 6th 0100UTC.
Arrival, ETA: SBGL, Sat Aug 6th 06:30UTC
Distance: 2450 nm direct
Cruise Elevation: FL350
Cruise Speed: Ma081
EnRoute estimate flight duration: 05:16

GCMAP

Route:
SKYVECTOR

Code: Select all

MAKTO VVC BUTAN MTU ABIDE UL201 CLOTI BUMBA EGLER OBEBA BARGE ARPAR ISLUT ISVOM MABMA ABUSE ISLAL ASTOB HASTE RPR ARSAX KUMON MEGBA VAKUB

Charts

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

clrcoda

Postby clrcoda » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:04 pm

Okay, now that's neat. And after event event.

I'll join that too, eventually :)

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:53 pm

R.M.S.

Return to “Multiplayer Events”