Grand World Tour

KeithHadden

Grand World Tour

Postby KeithHadden » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:59 am

Greetings all,

Having been dormant for a while doesn't mean I've been idle.

I have developed (and still developing) a Grand World Tour, having been inspired the popular USA Tour. The idea is to visit every country in the world at least once. It is an ambitious project and will take quite some time to complete. Some of us at Clone Air have flown a couple of legs.

Would there be any interest in having this as a Multiplayer Event here?

Regards
Keith Hadden
CAW0001
CEO Clone Air World
"As the Crow Flies"

IAHM-COL

Re: Grand World Tour

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:02 pm

sure, I'll be happy to fly along in some of the legs. 200+ countries is a heck lot of legs, but I'll join as possible : D

Looking forward.

Best,
IH
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

V12

Postby V12 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 am

Nice idea. I will join everytime, when it will be possible.
ImageImage

KeithHadden

Postby KeithHadden » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:22 am

I will begin the Grand World Tour from the beginning to accommodate the majority of participants. Currently the Clone Air group fly on a Saturday morning (0500 UTC) on most Saturdays depending on pilots availability, and anyone can join us then. But I am proposing to repeat the flights in order io extend this to a wider group. It will require more discipline on our (read my) behalf. The legs are on average 2 hours in a 737, however there some shorter ones, and when flying these we will do more than one.

Due to the HUGE number of legs the more often this can be done the better. I would like get the opinion of prospective pilots, so here is a survey:-

How often to meet and fly?

Weekly/Every Two Weeks/Monthly

Which day of the week?

Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday

Time? (specified as UTC please)

How many hours available for each session?

Any other comments and suggestions?
CAW0001
CEO Clone Air World
"As the Crow Flies"

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:48 pm

KeithHadden wrote:I will begin the Grand World Tour from the beginning to accommodate the majority of participants. Currently the Clone Air group fly on a Saturday morning (0500 UTC) on most Saturdays depending on pilots availability, and anyone can join us then. But I am proposing to repeat the flights in order io extend this to a wider group. It will require more discipline on our (read my) behalf. The legs are on average 2 hours in a 737, however there some shorter ones, and when flying these we will do more than one.

Due to the HUGE number of legs the more often this can be done the better. I would like get the opinion of prospective pilots, so here is a survey:-

How often to meet and fly?

Weekly/Every Two Weeks/Monthly

Which day of the week?

Sunday/Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday/Thursday/Friday/Saturday

Time? (specified as UTC please)

How many hours available for each session?

Any other comments and suggestions?

Hi Keith.
I think the idea is great. Planning around something, I presume, is challenging. When I planned the USA tour, I created the road map first (the destination's list, their distance, and a rough idea of what cruising conditions I wanted). Then I posted every leg, accommodating to my own schedule as needed, but keeping Time/Date relatively fixed. There were 54 legs, and it took me 5 years to complete.

From that experience, I would say It would be recommended for your Tour you actually perform your planning around even more detailedly than I had to do, and create a full tour schedule.

My suggestion:

1. Make your destinations' List in order
2. Spread the Tour in a fixed amount of time. I think 4 to 5 years is a correct time frame, but you can try to make it way faster, at your will.
3. For the length of this Tour, I recommend you don't expect people to show at every leg
4. with 2 and 3 in mind, lay out your flying times (DATE/Time in UTC for Departure, and expected DATE/Time in UTC for Arriving).
4a. For this, I say Saturdays are the best date for everyone. (certainly the only day to work for me)
4b. Time in UTC is funny. No time works world wide. The time that is good for some people in the Eastern hemisphere, is the most aweful for those in the Western hemisphere. And viceversa.

5. given 4, I think you could plan every leg to be repeated twice on a date, separated 12 hours apart. And let people attend whichever time they feel works best for them (or both for the die-hard fans)..

Example

Leg 1. Sat Oct 13th. Departures at 5UTC, and at 17UTC (each pilot joins the group they want to; and report in the tour threads in forums, etc).

6. Create the whole tour schedule sheet and publish completely, and immediately. This is, per example, every year has about 52 weeks. If you have weekly events then you get about 50 events a year (there'll be weekends you might want off due to international holidays, or so... maybe). so In 5 years you can actually do about 250 legs biweekly. [which is nearing, or slightly above, the total number of countries this planet is politically drawn upon].

With that in mind, you can actually go ahead and make a post of with a calendar link (a google calendar, per example) and a full list of flights. There all 200+ legs are specified with: 1. exact date (Saturday? most logically?). 2. Date repeats? 3. Times (at 12 h apart as in 5 above). 4. Destination airport. 5. Arrival airport.

7. People can schedule somehow around this. And they will probably decide to join if this becomes more popular. Also, the fact that is monotonously programmed makes it easier to either decide beforehand or even show up on a very short notice.

8. No one is expected to be completing all legs, but tours need leadership. Someone that shows most of the time. If you want to do this, your time is up.

9. Monthly, publish before-hand the route, recommended airplanes, NOTAMS and other stuff pertinent that pilots need to know for the following 4 Legs.

10. Let such schedule happen, and have fun.

11. Take any of this recommendations and discard whatever might not fit you. It's your tour, afterall...

Best,
IH
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KeithHadden

Postby KeithHadden » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:24 am

Thanks for that most useful advice and suggestions Israel. You have had the experience of organising a major event and I can certainly learn from it. I will make mistakes along the way, but I am sure you will correct me as we go along.

I have been thinking about much of what you have suggested. Your stating it as well has reinforced a great deal of my planning.

I found a skeleton schedule which someone had posted on the web, but it needs fine tuning as many countries were omitted. To date I have "identified" 140 legs, and have covered roughly two thirds of the planet. I am thinking of getting this off the ground before all the legs have been finalised, but having sub-sections (like chapters in a book) and publish them as I complete each one. If I wait until I have completed them all, the project may never start.

I like the concept of having two sessions 12 hours apart, and I am thinking of having a two hour "core" time and allowing an hour each side to enable early comers and late comers the opportunity to participate. With two sessions a day it gives 8 hours on a Saturday.

A lot of food for thought, and meanwhile, I will proceed with completing the schedules, and also start working on getting this thing going.
CAW0001
CEO Clone Air World
"As the Crow Flies"

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:11 pm

Bottom line for me, I will try and join as often as I can.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

V12

Postby V12 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:49 am

KeithHadden wrote:...The legs are on average 2 hours in a 737...

Probably, some legs will be longer - cross the Atlantic, or flight to Hawai, or Easter island, Guam, Sint Maarten...
ImageImage

KeithHadden

Postby KeithHadden » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:07 am

V12 wrote:
KeithHadden wrote:...The legs are on average 2 hours in a 737...

Probably, some legs will be longer - cross the Atlantic, or flight to Hawai, or Easter island, Guam, Sint Maarten...

The longest flight is 1307nm, Northern Mariana Islands to The Phillipines, which should take around 3 hours. The most remote is indeed Hawaii, but as Hawaii is a state of the US we will not be visiting it as we will be going to mainland US.

Crossing the Atlantic is not a problem as it will be done along a northern route via Gander in Canada, two stops in Greenland, two stops in Iceland and on to Scotland.

Believe me, I have done my homework.
CAW0001
CEO Clone Air World
"As the Crow Flies"

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:47 pm

Keith-- Thank you for setting this up! I've been missing our multiplayer events and hoping someone would start a new project. I will participate as often as I can! This sounds like great fun!

SkyBoat
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Return to “Multiplayer Events”