Halloween Night Oct 31: Isle of Man 9 Lives Race; 22:00-24:00 UTC

LesterBoffo

Halloween Night Oct 31: Isle of Man 9 Lives Race; 22:00-24:00 UTC

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 am

OK all you hooning cool cats, on the evening of All Hallows Eve, Pacific time, PM-ish roughly 22 to 24 UTC; we will have a night tour of the Southern 100 and the IoM TT course on the Island of Man.

Your challenge, if you deem yourself worthy of meeting this quest, is to drive the entire two race courses on the IoM, at night, with only your feeble headlight to guide you.

That's correct, you will start at the Airport on Runway 08 head off the taxiway to the A5, west to the intersection of the A3 and A5 and we'll then circle the Southern 100 course at Castletown once, then plunge onward back up the A5 into the darkness towards Douglas, Crossing the Fairy Bridge and past the Manx Cattery, on to where we will take the sharpish left at Take No Quarter Bridge intersection onto the IoM TT course, which we then will circle clockwise or Deosil, in the Old Language.

We complete the course at the finish line in Douglas. opposite the Memorial Graveyard.

You'll be given the chance to ride either the Vespa or the Yamaha small motorcycle, both have certain advantages that can be exploited. You will run the Rembrandt headlight systems they use, and hopefully there will be also be enough moonlight to cast a little light on the whole course.

The 9 lives part is where you have to balance your need to stay above an average speed and not crash. Each crash will cost you a 'life', you have nine of them. The more lives you save at the end of the ride, added to the points of speed above the average wins you the race. Game Crashes will possibly be an issue, and I think we can waive them as lives forfeit.

After the 'race' there will be tours through the Haunted Memorial Graveyard at Douglas, complete with the creepy animated Crypt of Evil made by Detlef, and the weirdly illuminated Spectral Pumpkin Patches. 'Walkers' in costume are encouraged as an alternatives to the riding the graveyard. We can also go visit the Braddan Church, which is also pretty spooky with it's imposing Gothic/Celtic presence.

This will require you to install Marc's Fabulous Isle of Man scenery, plus the Halloween graveyard I made last Halloween.

Are you brave enough for this night of terror?
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAHM-COL

Re: Halloween Night Oct 31: Isle of Man 9 Lives Race; 22:00-24:00 UTC

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:56 am

I'm in

Did you say fusca or vespa? :P
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:25 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
Did you say fusca or vespa? :P

You know I'm gonna let this be an open course with any FG vehicle, with a caveat. We want it to be real spooky, so you know, the Fusca Beetle, The Kombi Wagon, Crash Hauler, Thornycroft AA truck, Model T flatbed, the DeLorean, any of Marc's incredibly fast GP bikes, any FG vehicle as long as it's available..

But the one thing is I request of all participants is that they advance their time to dusk. The ones actually competing for the Time Trial of Fear should be riding either the Vespa or the Yamaha. The rest of you guys can do your worst, or ride or drive along for fun. Starting at the Southern 100 gives those without a lot of time a chance to bail early if they so desire. Also let's make this festive and decorate the vehicles with custom Halloween liveries, or possibly added scary and (or) goofy model bits.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 5:07 am

;)

I've got it ...
I'll make this one for me

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:30 pm

I'm so doomed ... I am lousy with everything with less than four wheels. Never got into it, not in real life nor in FG. So, this calls for some serious creativity. Or I get me a VW Bully and deliver pumpkin cookies along the track or something. No plan yet.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Oh well, conflicts but don't change the date, I can look at photos. I am awful at driving anyway.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 pm

Well actually, maybe I can make it, but probable not at 2200. Will it count if I launch early, and make a video?
*seven pillars of smoke mark the track of intrepid driver who races along Isle of Man roads*
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:17 pm

Ah, Israel posts an image of 1967 beetle, used to own one, I liked that car a lot.

@ JWocky, well we're all gonna die someday.. :o . but forestalling the inevitable, you can drive a 4 wheeled vehicle, I'm not limiting it to just bikes. But remember the premise of this tour, the challenge, and that the LesterW3rks scooters and motos have Weebles Tech Stability, all you really need to drive them is a steady hand on the aileron stick and don't use the brakes copiously. There are two Flight Model choices, one with an automatic transmission and one with gears, your choice.

@Lego, we can start earlier but I figured this gets us into a time frame that is more reasonable for most folks.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:01 pm

personally Ive got no problem running a bit earlier.
I thought you were targetting for eerie midnite :geek:

R.M.S.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:43 pm

Lester,

we all die some day ... so will I ... nevertheless, I don't feel the hang to take too many people with me then and on two wheels I count as clear and imminent danger to me and others. But then, we are in FG, so nothing is really solid, right?

J.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “Multiplayer Events”