Here we go again...

The Club of all those banned or deleted form the "official" FlightGear forum for speaking out political inconvenient truths or just things, the rulers over there didn't want to hear.
KL-666

Re: Here we go again...

Postby KL-666 » Mon May 30, 2016 11:50 am

Typical. If the defense against Thorstens foul talk gets a bit too effective for their comfort, Bugman jumps in to pull the personal attack card. It always makes me laugh about the sillyness of Buggyboy, because the card does not fit the situation at all.

Anyway, Bomber. As i understand it, your biggest concern to want non-gpl is to prevent possible commercialization of your work. Therefore you are prepared to do a lot of work in the field of finding matching licenses, making cooperation more difficult and probably distribute planes and your work in separate packages. Causing more work for the users.

Personally i think the effort does not weigh against the danger. I mean, really, how many people are going to pay for something they can get in an even better version for free? It does not worry me much, and i would stick with gpl, to keep cooperation simple.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 12:06 pm

I fail to understand how if I gift you a 3d model with permission to distribute.... yet not to use it in a commercial manner...

It makes it any harder for FlightGear....

People still get to use it... at present there are 3d modelers refusing to work in FG because their work can be resold.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

SHM

Postby SHM » Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 pm

KL-666 wrote:Typical. If the defense against Thorstens foul talk gets a bit too effective for their comfort, Bugman jumps in to pull the personal attack card. It always makes me laugh about the sillyness of Buggyboy, because the card does not fit the situation at all.

+1
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon May 30, 2016 12:17 pm

Hello Bomber,

Will others be able to improve the work? This becomes important when the author has long lost interest and the engine underneath is modernized, rendering the work useless unless it is adapted.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 1:07 pm

My fdm I have no problems with, 3D modellers however take a very dim view on it.

But understand the quality of the 3d will be so much more superior than now and invariably as hardware improves allowing higher quality 3d meshes it's normal practice to start again as it's simply to much bother to attempt to modify
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 30, 2016 2:26 pm

by the way, Bomber, I am selling you a Beagle pup 100 for FlightGear flightsimulator for 300 yankee-Dollars.

(it is the same you can find for free in several places on the internet, but still that's my bid)

Are you paying?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Mon May 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Nah I'll pass, I can get it free..

But thanks anyway ☺

D-ECHO

Postby D-ECHO » Mon May 30, 2016 3:32 pm

What are yankee-dollars??

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 30, 2016 3:35 pm

Anytime you don't change your mind, think about it as the repercussion of commercialization allowance by GPL software.

Most GPL software is also found free (as in gratis) somewhere.

There are a few things

1. If you can get the same for free: Why you buy?
The companies that sell GPL content (like, RedHat or Novell per example), they usually don't just resell a software. They sell a service. In most cases it is a computing service such as security, user support, etc.

2. GPL must be transferred from the purchaser to the buyer.
This means, effectively blocking propietariness. I'll go example here:

When you buy MS Windows, you don't buy the software itself. You buy the license to use in 1 computer only. This means off course you can-not install it in your son's computer. Helping your son would be illegal. But more importantly, you couldn't sell it (they call that piracy, and it is just a breach/violation in the copyright of re-selling).

Contrastingly, let's say I buy Red Hat GNU/Linux from Red-hat (and all the GPL content they sell). Now, Red Hat can sell the product to me standing as GPL. They are not selling me the right to use. They provide the whole letter. Which includes, as you know, the possibility of lowering the price a notch, and resell it to new customers for a profit. Red Hat can-not prevent that. As they inherited the right to commercialize from the GPL, so did I.

So, the practical execution of all this is that most people are getting their GNU content for free elsewhere. Via friends sharing, via downloads, via github. Other companies are making big bucks with it: but usually the succesful ones, are making it by selling an associated service.

I will never loose my mind on a capitalistic system that works this fair. Personally.

IH-COL

(and, remember, they should not accept Non Commercial content in FG, because that would mean Curtis can't resell it:
http://store.flightgear.org/ )

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 30, 2016 3:37 pm

D-ECHO wrote:What are yankee-dollars??

Ok. Do I get a buyer?!?!

Cool stuff..

I'll accept Deutsche-Euros from you "D
$270 at current change

(Laughing)

There are many dollars around. Canadian dollars, US dollars, New Zealand Dollars. Only God knows which other coin around carries the name. I wanted to specify the exact currency of the bid. ;)

R.M.S.

Return to “Club of the Banned”