Voluntarily retired from Curt's forum

The Club of all those banned or deleted form the "official" FlightGear forum for speaking out political inconvenient truths or just things, the rulers over there didn't want to hear.
IAHM-COL

Re: Voluntarily retired from Curt's forum

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri May 13, 2016 2:37 am

Funny story...

Statto. The same one defending the argument that FG never distributed custom landclasses in the scenery, can point with astonishing accuracy the areas I need to be aware of (St Marteen is already demostrated, I think)

http://www.stattosoftware.com/flightgear/
Statto's Custom Scenery Webpage wrote:FlightGear areas with custom landclass areas:

London, England
St. Maarten
Anguilla
St. Kitts and Nevis
Saba and St. Eustatius
Madrid and Castile
Oakland International Airport

[I suspect that London ships with Corine, thou, as the rest of Europe]
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri May 13, 2016 11:41 am

The discussion on the other forum has been separated to a thread of it's own. Which is correct, because it was drifting far off topic where it was.
FGMEMBERS infrastructure vs. FlightGear infrastructure
The tone is still really agreeable, and it is a joy to read the exchange of good arguments. Luckily Curt's little slip did not turn everyone back to anger.

What i want to add is that i believe that moral arguments are missing the point and hold the potential to make the discussion fuzzy. e.g Bugman says:

FGMEMBERS on the other hand is designed to absorb absolutely all of the assets of all of the modding community ... their 3rd party infrastructure is rendered irrelevant, they are anonymised, and their presence reduced to a single line in the *-set.xml file

http://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=29559&p=285061#p285055

Anything that can be done, will be done. As i argued here:
http://www.thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=503
Advancement in technology has made it too easy to setup another environment and in the process include half of the gpl world. There is nothing moral about that. If Fgmembers did not do it, or stop doing it, some other group will do it some day.

Also i think there is sometimes confusion about who wants to have influence where. Bomber distinctly argues that core should let modders work freely. Like people that make a framework do not have influence on the applications made with it. He does not argue that modders should have influence on core.

Kind regards, Vincent

bomber

Postby bomber » Fri May 13, 2016 12:21 pm

Also i think there is sometimes confusion about who wants to have influence where. Bomber distinctly argues that core should let modders work freely. Like people that make a framework do not have influence on the applications made with it. He does not argue that modders should have influence on core.

That's is exactly what I believe and I struggle to understand why this concept is alien to a few..
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri May 13, 2016 1:04 pm

I like to add, that I personally can live very well without having to maintain my own hangar infrastructure. Lately my plane tinkering reached some low because lack of time and still, everything I did before is still there, available and when I find time, I can do the actual work on planes instead of caring about infrastructure, I get it basically all delivered right in my repo and good.
On the other hand, I am the guy who sometimes even forgets to provide that one line copyright ... so maybe not the best example, who knows.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri May 13, 2016 1:23 pm

Richard wrote about the scenery server:
It's a lot of data to backup or replicated, as I understand it the old mapserver had all of this data before it failed; so it could be argued that the requirements of the GPL were met at the time of release and anyone wanting the data should have got it.

https://forum.flightgear.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=29485&p=285043#p285041

Ai, ai, ai. If he is responsible for automation of (parts of) flightgear, i get really worried about the continuity of that project. What is lots of data? AFAIK the scenery is less that a TB. Price for an external 1TB disk is what? $50 or so. Put a nightly rsync on it and you are done within half an hour each night. And this is supposed to be hard?

Kind regards, Vincent

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri May 13, 2016 1:36 pm

No need to worry anymore, all the data is now in TerraGit and I don't know how many of us pull regularly the latest changes for the whole world, so, if they mess up, there are still some copies. Which makes one wonder why they are not happy, Israel solved their most critical problem. Which makes me also wonder whether we should start to pull regularly copies of FG itself, only in case they mess up royally again?

daweed

Postby daweed » Fri May 13, 2016 2:44 pm

jwocky wrote:No need to worry anymore, all the data is now in TerraGit and I don't know how many of us pull regularly the latest changes for the whole world, so, if they mess up, there are still some copies. Which makes one wonder why they are not happy, Israel solved their most critical problem. Which makes me also wonder whether we should start to pull regularly copies of FG itself, only in case they mess up royally again?

Since i pull the all world i set up a cron job to pull update each week

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Fri May 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Nice, Daweed, I have to reorganize my crons, I have made it kind of a mess with all my stuff.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sat May 14, 2016 12:46 am

Let's be as childish as the other end for a moment. Hooray wrote:

Aaargh! he said "tits". Aaargh! that must be about sex. Aaargh!

Well enough kidding now. Hooray, you may think fgmembers is quicksand, but you have no proof of the future. You behave like a stock broker in this.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat May 14, 2016 1:37 am

• Napster; nonGPL, copyright infringing
  • Megaupload; nonGPL, copyright infringing
  • The Pirate Bay; nonGPL, copyright infringing
  • SilkRoad; illegal drugs?! (and you hold your ground waiting to be taken seriously!)

Pure rethorics. Is he comparing a opensource development platform with GPL contents (aircraft + scenery) to a set of pirated materials? (Did you forgot many torrent sites, Hooray?)

I think he knows he is being deceiving, but he wont bulge in getting a cheap point.

Those arguments of yours Hooray. Real quicksand.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “Club of the Banned”