At what point does an attack constitute a ban?

The Club of all those banned or deleted form the "official" FlightGear forum for speaking out political inconvenient truths or just things, the rulers over there didn't want to hear.
IAHM-COL

Re: At what point does an attack constitute a ban?

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:28 pm

what is the fuss all about, and why do the other authors need to rename directories?
As far as I can tell, they have their own repository on github and they had not overwritten any work of helijah on the subversion addon
That is safe, as touching the addon has the obvious problem of a centralized subversion system, which I had argued years ago trying for FG to abort that silly choice.

If these JSBsim authors are not really altering helijah's work, why is there such a conflict?

Makes no sense.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:34 pm

Helijah implied that in downloading this new work it over wrote existing work.

This can't be allowed to happen as a norm. If I download an alternative version of the plane and its put in the same folder as my existing version I expect to be able to see and use both alternately... I shouldn't have to re-download the original, am I not right in expecting this ?

This should be either considered an add on... or a completely new folder structure plane

p.s. all my flight models are add ons, they exist in the users existing folder for that plane.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:45 pm

Hi Bomber.
I dont agree. If that's what helijah implies here; he is wrong. (nothing new with that)

An user has the choice of what they will download and install. Not the developers. A developer does not need to (s/he can, but no need to) take into consideration if the name of choice is competing with other piece of software.

In this case, the user simply can have two planes with identical names (directory names) on different parent directories, and simply tell FG during launch which aircraft path to look for. That is no problem at all.

The only problem I see is what happens if the authors overwrite helijah on a centralized subversion repository (the FGAddon). Then, there we get problems.

If a user downloads an aircraft for a git repository and overwrites (or even wrongly merges) the content with their aircraft content [in their own repositories/hard-drives] from another repository, then that's quite of a willing choice of action. Not accident. And it could be such user wants to try that (which he/she can try).

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:48 pm

Agreed.
The only problem that I have is when one says its "more realistic" instead of just "I prefer it".
I can analogy this to FSX, where some people prefer a less complex sim to a complex, because they re more relaxed when they fly. I have no issue for that.

And IF he doesn't see anything of value in the JSBsim flight model for this plane.... so what ?

So nothing. My problem is with the repeated telling (and implying) that we are "ruining" his "realistic" plane with our "unrealistic JSBsim". Obviously that isn't a direct quote, but you get the idea.

My argument was simply for defending the work of Richard and Swamp, nothing more. It's a fantastic VSPaero FDM.

Kind Regards,
Josh

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:49 pm

bomber wrote:p.s. all my flight models are add ons, they exist in the users existing folder for that plane.

In a case like this, most certainly renaming directories is of no good at all.

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:52 pm

Octal450 wrote:Agreed.
The only problem that I have is when one says its "more realistic" instead of just "I prefer it".

But that's just propaganda.
Propaganda is fine, off course. But not that it makes for any objective choice.
since it is ultimately such a subjective election, "I prefer" comes as a good word-choice, on my mind.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:05 pm

Octal, the man is deluded, but to defend someone, I think it needs something a bit stronger than what he initially wrote.... that's all I'm saying

With regards a plane that's not been touched in 11 years, he is clearly not an active maintainer of this content...

This is an FG community issue that should have been resolved years ago... allowing others the freedom to tinker without any prejudice.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:10 pm

bomber wrote:With regards a plane that's not been touched in 11 years, he is clearly not an active maintainer of this content...

Active maintainer my ass. [does not matter if he last change it an eon or a nanosecond ago]
This concept in FG is sickening.

They sit on the right of ownership on GPL content -- as in you can't modify it. Not such thing.

For GPL content the pray goes:

You can use it as you wish. you can modify it as you wish. you can distribute it as is or modified as you wish.

There's no such thing a a maintainer to whom you have to bend to, in this praying. The lord is sharpless.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Actually if you wanted to really kick him in the knackers, make a public request and build up momentum that those interested in flight modeling or learning each select a helijah plane and write en-mass and in a collaborative way a jsbsim flight model for it.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:17 pm

I am doing my own JSBsim. The three-d is helijah's. :D

Yesterday it flew for the first time, and that's an accomplishment.
It used to be a brick. Right now is a kite. Progress in the right direction :D

You say FDM development is easy.
I say not at all. Is a multivariate, multiaxes, high degree of freedom phenomena.
And jsbsim has its own quirks. So it all compounds in madness.

Physics goes one way. The assumptions we use to work with other.
At least It seems I am finally understanding how to put data in and get data out. And thus building a kite is some achievement. After many frustated attempts.

So in that sense, making 500 JSbsims>? no way.
Building a JSBsim generator in Python? Maybe. Maybe building the tool is the first step to make such dream a reality :D (evil laugh)

R.M.S.

Return to “Club of the Banned”