Talking Festival 2017

May 5th and 6th, 2018
jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Talking Festival 2017

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:40 am

Without having it looked up, but doesn't the Norwegians have a smaller one near Drontheim too? And for the tamer things of life, we go to Stockholm, for the fun to Kopenhagn, and how about Helsinki. I think, since it's spring, we shall get reasonable weather, even in Scandinavia.
On the other hand, India in fall, I have no real idea what to expect weather-wise, but at least few places with simple ILS would be also nice.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:48 am

jwocky wrote:I think, since it's spring,
On the other hand, India in fall, I have no real idea what to expect weather-wise, but at least few places with simple ILS would be also nice.

Interestingly the schedule is: Non-Europe on the Spring, Europe for Fall.
This means, therefore: Rather bone-chilling cold and darkness up in Norway.
The moonson session in India is around November, so again, I actually expect rather dry weather to be found there for Spring.

Best,
IH-COL

(Note: The Spring/Fall nomenclature is boreal-centric! :D it reffers to May for Spring, November for Fall)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SHM

Postby SHM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:01 am

IAHM-COL wrote:
jwocky wrote:I think, since it's spring,

The moonson session in India is around November, so again, I actually expect rather dry weather to be found there for Spring.

Yep it will be dry weather here then.
What is important to consider is the time zone. The festival atc and traffic is peak when its night here. :D
Most of the runways have ILS, so even if the vis drops it shouldn't be a problem.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:29 am

Then forget Scandinavia ...

SHM

Postby SHM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:38 am

jwocky wrote:Then forget Scandinavia ...

Why do that, it just adds some challenge :)
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

elgaton

Postby elgaton » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:36 am

The 2017 thread is now up.

A few comments on my part on some of the proposed locations:
Scandinavia
I agree with the other posters - the scenery is nice and the major airports there are at an acceptable distance.

Italy
I might be a bit biased here ;) but I agree with Mav. If Italy is chosen, I'm willing to man a major airport (LIML/LIMC/LIRF) or my home base, LIPX (shameless plug which is also quite near to another major ATC hub, EDDF, and offers some interesting approaches). Mav could be at Aviano AF, and I might ask other people on the Italian FlightGear community forum to gauge their interest.

Non-European locations
I have never flown there in FG so I can't comment much, however India and Central America might be good candidates. I would not choose South-East Asia right now, as we have already had a Festival there (in Japan).

Manpower
I agree with Catalanoic on the fact that manpower should be an important factor to be taken into consideration. During this last Festival edition, I (unfortunately) had much less time to contribute than expected due to some freelance work I've been doing (instead of just one month, it took three/four months and 12/14 hours per day, as some parts had to be redone/improved - no wonder I had a burnout episode). For now, I can't make any promises, but I expect to be able to state my commitments in a few weeks (I've already received a few job offers, so, apart from some extra hours when project releases get near, they should be "ordinary" 8:30-AM-to-6-PM jobs); it will probably be OpenRadar files (plus, maybe, procedure files) as I'm going to complete my LIPX project and, then, to focus on core development, where more manpower is needed.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:30 am

SHM: Because I don't have that much stick time and I want occasionally land in one piece ;-)

SHM

Postby SHM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:36 am

jwocky wrote:SHM: Because I don't have that much stick time and I want occasionally land in one piece ;-)

It will also pose a challenge to all the new FG pilots who decide to join the festival. High x-wind, low vis will only cause a chaos. Lets see how the polls turn out.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:25 pm

@elgaton.
Thanks for the post on Curtis'

Let's see what other ideas people want to bring to the table.

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

oscar6662

Postby oscar6662 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Of course it wouldnt be a problem for me to choose spain!
[url]Image[/url]

Return to “The Festival”