The FLightGear Spring Festival - Japan-2016 is officially concluded

May 5th and 6th, 2018
IAHM-COL

The FLightGear Spring Festival - Japan-2016 is officially concluded

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 09, 2016 12:30 am

a BIG THANKS to all people

Who joined efforts to make this amazing event possible

ATCs, Pilots, Scenery Developers, Infrastructure Maintainers, and FG developers.

I'll post later a summary of my own experience, and I'd love for many of you to also share your own experiences Below,

Looking forward for the Fall Festival, to be held in FSWeekend - UK 2016.
Sayōnara
IAHM-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Re: The FLightGear Spring Festival - Japan-2016 is officially concluded

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 09, 2016 12:44 am

Courtesy of JWocky

Amelia Earheart has been found !!!
(hiding below this cargo UPS for these many years :@)

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon May 09, 2016 12:23 pm

Hi,

We had some amazing flights in nice company through an amazing landscape and from and to amazing designed airports. The "planned" part of the Festival went great and proved how those festivals are a big incentive to develop more airports and help the FlightGear community growing. The "unplanned" part as in all kinds of things, that come up during the festival and mini-games, military actions and just some fun actions aside of flying from A to B was still a bit small, even, thanks to the ORPF group, there was something extra and Lester tried hard, but alas, without too much success to get some water plane flights working.
Another aspect, the fly-ins, have taken a whole another dimension. While in Spain and Austria/Switzerland some few hardcore long haulers were the sole pilots coming in from overseas, this time, we had fly-ins from ORPF, Turbo came from Paris, I came this time only from Australia, a little bit a foul compromise on my end due to time restrictions.
The newest child of the FGMEMBERS family, TerraGit went through it's first real use test and it worked great, making sure, that the number of flights cancelled during approach because the scenery was not loaded, came down to a few cases, in which TerraSync was still used. TerraGit users had all the scenery and no problems at all, proving TerraGit is the way to go.
FGMEMBERS itself, the aircraft repository made it possible to fly all kinds of planes, just on a whim. No problems to find, no problems to load, just start your engines and ask the ATC for permission to taxi ... I flew from 747-8i down to a Lockheed Electra Model ten pretty much every category of planes and I saw even more planes flown by others. The variety of actual usable planes was much wider than it was in past festivals.
ATCs, yes, ATCs. I am not the best pilot when it comes to procedures, but controlled flying is one of the big things during the festivals. The ATCs gave us quite professional guidance, a polite and helpful experience and, this is something important from my point of view, were a poster appearance for controlled flying because they showed, air traffic control is actually helpful to pilots ... just like in real life. So, we got new ATCs in the game this time (Josh and Jim for example in Tokyo-Haneda) aside to old experienced ATC veterans like IAHM-COL and Elgaton and we got more pilots, who normally rarely fly controlled, into this kind of dense traffic scenarios. Noteworthy here is, that the ATCs all dealt with a lot of kind of hairy situations ... like JWOCKY, the other left ... or sometimes alittle bit of a flurry of communication ... or radical weather changes ... or even trolls ... and they never lost the nerves, never lost the politeness. ATCing is stress and they handled it like diamonds!
All together, Japan was a great experience and a great festival. It was made possible by the work of a handful of people who designed those airports, supplied systems that allowed to get users all the necessary scenery nice and smooth on their computers and last but not least by the fact, that FG 2016 is in general more reliable than 3.4 and the versions since were. Personally, I had over the whole festival three FG segfault crashes. In past festivals, I ended often up with three in an hour.
Nevertheless, after so much praise, there was a thing, that was a little sad. Basically, I saw pilots from the Free Speech forum, I saw some rather independent characters, I saw no pilots from the core group of Curtis' forum. Another opportunity to create common ground passed unused. Of course, the festivals are a community event, kind of from users for users, and users are, if we read some posts on Curtis' forum, something, God invented only to bother core devs. Still, seeing such an event that proved once more, FG is a living and vibrant community, without any participation from what considers itself the "official" world of FlightGear, it was once more a disappointing picture from that side. Still, the community worked and it worked well, and form where I stand, that made the weekend.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon May 09, 2016 12:39 pm

Hear, hear, Jwocky. That leaves me only to thank the hard work of the organizers, atc's and scenery developers. I never expected so many airports to be developed in such short notice. All in all a very joyful weekend this was.

That brings me to a question. Would it not be possible to also push these airports to terrasync? Because i do like the download on the go aspect of terrasync, so that i do not need to download a whole country at once.

Kind regards, Vincent

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Mon May 09, 2016 1:57 pm

This was my first participation in an FGFestival as pilot. Most of the time was dedicated to the OPRF flight from KSUU to RJTY where many things happened. I must say there was a lot of organization with many ATC involved and offering guidance to all. What I din't liked was the troll-factor both Mumbling and flying. Anyway, it was fun, I stayed most of the time in South Korea but saw there was a nice amount of aircrafts during the ATC sessions.

About my Festival, well, I got my first six air combat wins, three of them all in the same flight and never got downed in the first day. Second day was more difficult, two more mission kills but got shot down quite a few times, two of them from a ship.
Was fun and congrats to all who helped/planned/contributed/developed/flew for and during the Spring Festival.
Six months from the UK 2K16!
Regards, Mav
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer (current project: F-16).
Using Thrustmaster FCS Flight Pack.
Follow me also on Instagram & Twitter @j_maverick16, Google+ and YouTube.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon May 09, 2016 2:20 pm

and Lester tried hard, but alas, without too much success to get some water plane flights working.

I'm not sure who you're speaking for, I had a number of water flights that did just fine, thank you very much. :roll:

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 09, 2016 2:35 pm

You did great!!! The point he raised is that your proposal was not accompanied, with more pilots with an interest in mini games. :!:

You actually flew the whole perimeter of the South Island and the whole coast of the inner sea. And you certainly had quite lots of low level VFR flying in my controlled area while skillfully keeping below the larger traffic, as per my request, which provided realism and fill up to the traffic everyone else encounte :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

===

EDIT

That picture of the FW, with Kansai on the background looks WAY amazing!!

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Mon May 09, 2016 2:43 pm

Well I didn't expect much interest, I tend towards my own interests, and I'm fine with my own company. :ugeek:

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 09, 2016 6:57 pm

jwocky wrote:Hi,

Another aspect, the fly-ins, have taken a whole another dimension. While in Spain and Austria/Switzerland some few hardcore long haulers were the sole pilots coming in from overseas, this time, we had fly-ins from ORPF, Turbo came from Paris, I came this time only from Australia, a little bit a foul compromise on my end due to time restrictions.

Must I add our arrival from USA.
I Initially cargoed some material constructions for these scenery from Memphis, via Anchorage, Flying JAFVA on FDX4244:

FDX4244 : B738, KMEM-PANC
FDX4244: B752, PANC-RJBB.

The second half was nicely accompanied and it was an outstanding fly-in for the Festival

http://thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=415
http://thejabberwocky.net/viewtopic.php ... =419#p6759

IH-COL

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon May 09, 2016 7:34 pm

KL-666 wrote:That brings me to a question. Would it not be possible to also push these airports to terrasync? Because i do like the download on the go aspect of terrasync, so that i do not need to download a whole country at once.

Kind regards, Vincent

Answer here:
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=494&p=8164#p8164

Best IH-COL

R.M.S.

Return to “The Festival”