Quoting guidelines

Everything that has to do with the forum on a technical level. Logins, posts, formatting ...
KL-666

Re: Quoting guidelines

Postby KL-666 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:29 am

Well, really, there are not many (or no) rules necessary. I have often enough said "do this" or "do not do that", and the other was kind enough to understand and change his ways.

kind regards, Vincent

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Fri May 20, 2016 12:30 am

Well I think if a moderator is truly objective and have decent language skills as well as has some basic logic skills it needn't be that hard. People should be allowed to quote any way they like to, but obviously if something is excessive action can be taken. The thing is that once action is taken, and/or once someone's assertion is challenged, there's really no way around getting to the bottom of it.

So if we take some of the claims by Bugman for example. His proof was a link. Ok, fine. I click the link. It takes me to a quote by Thorsten. But Thorsten's quote has been edited so context isn't visible. At that point I cry foul. I think that's uncool. So, the only reasonable thing at that point is to allow people to bring up specifically why the original assertion was wrong - AND point out that it's shoddy to no quote in context. But as long as the leadership just ignores that and don't go to the bottom of it then people will keep doing what they do. That's the problem. The moderators really have to set an example of what is acceptable discourse.

And of course they have at the other forum. You don't have to prove that what you say is right, as long as we're ok with what you're saying. And you can't insist on people proving it, because doing so as they resist to acknowledge your challenge is disruptive.

But I don't think it would take that much to "enforce" it. Any of the moderators could have stepped in at any point and said "A) Stop quoting out of context, B) please address the concerns regarding your interpretation".
-----------------------------------

Another way of looking at it is when people don't quote at all, and don't address things head-on. I sometimes get the feeling that I'm reading a blog rather than reading a comment in a forum. What's the point if people just keep making statements and never respond to what others say? If people think that's the way to go about things then they can start a blog instead (and I probably won't read it).

And that's where we end up when people get to just make claims they never have to directly and specifically discuss.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:41 am

Yes, but we can continue to see them all as the same, or we can distinguish individuals that try to behave better.

Kind regards, Vincent

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Fri May 20, 2016 12:52 am

Sure. I didn't mean anything contrary to that.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri May 20, 2016 1:09 am

Ok, so i have seen change in Hooray, Curt and even Thorsten (and probably more i missed to read). But not in in Bugman and Stuart (and probably more i missed to read). Then from my perspective it would be logical to aim specefically at Bugman and Stuart.

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Technical Questions”