[SOLVED] GIT: FGMEMBERS

Everything that has to do with the forum on a technical level. Logins, posts, formatting ...
Octal450

[SOLVED] GIT: FGMEMBERS

Postby Octal450 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:41 pm

I know how to update things once I have it on my repo, but I need some help updating to FGMEMBERS. All I did was pull, change a file slightly to make the plane fly better, added the files, and then pushed. But that made it write over every file with my new commit, changing things that I didn't change. Can someone run me over how to clone, and update it safely?

Thanks

IAHM-COL

Re: GIT: FGMEMBERS

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:20 pm

Hi it0uchpods

The safe method is this:

1. Fork the repo you want to modify
2. Clone your fork locally
3. Modify your aircraft
4. add, commit and push (to your forked repo)

(repeat until you are happy with the result)

5. From your fork, Send a pull request via github

6. Verify that the diff in your pull request is that what you want to/intent to modify. (nothing more, nothing less)
7. Merge

Those steps will be the most safe method to update an aircraft in FGMEMBERS. Bringing your changes only when you are ready, and making sure in several steps (as you add, commit, push to your repo, and pull request) that the changes you are committing are REALLY what you intended too)

If something goes bad, you can just troubleshoot in your fork (as in a private sandbox) and this endangers no-one

IH-COL
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:43 pm

I'll give this a shot, and see how it goes. Thanks.

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:27 pm

Hi Israel, I have done what you said. It now shows that I want to merge the changes. I think this is where you step in???

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:43 pm

I already did. And the FGMEMBERS repo is updated.

https://github.com/FGMEMBERS/717/commits/master

Big improvement from last time gigantic commit

I think this is where you step in???

No necessarily. Any one in FGMEMBERS list can approve a pull request. Not only myself. You can even approve your own pull requests if you are sure of your step. (althought not a necessarily a bad idea to leave your own pull request open for some "peer-review". Like others that know about the issue can give you some hints, improvements on your PR, or alike)
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:39 pm

Ah, OK sounds good. I am quite happy how this turned out, thanks alot! I actually feel confident that I can push without messing up now. :)

Return to “Technical Questions”