An interesting gpl case

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
IAHM-COL

Re: An interesting gpl case

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:54 pm

bomber wrote:Yeh.....but now what we have is FSF taking away the writes of an author to license their work as they see fit...

And FSF have said that they don't do this..

The FSF will not have a saying from material you write without usage of GPL software. Therefore, they wont restrict your ability to use the license you see fit. They try to restrict you to take GPL material and unvest it from any of the liberties already granted to the software that is already GPLed.

The point being, you can't take GPL material and strip it by stamping a more restricted license onto it, or onto the modifications you've made to it. This implies you cannot bundle GPL material into your propietary-license work. You are welcome, on the contrary to write such routines from scratch.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:56 pm

In the past there's been this GPL virus claim... which has been proved to be wrong.

That simply by adding some GPL code to your existing non-GPL code you make your work in it's entirety GPL .... it does not.
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:56 pm

bomber wrote:4. The freedom to force an authors work to be GPL

There is not such a thing.
No-one is force to release a work GPL.

Everyone plays by the same rules.

If you don't want to release GPL, you MUST NOT use GPL material/source code/routines.

Simply, write the required routines from scratch and move forward stamping it any license you may seem fit.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:57 pm

IAHM-COL wrote:
bomber wrote:Yeh.....but now what we have is FSF taking away the writes of an author to license their work as they see fit...

And FSF have said that they don't do this..

The FSF will not have a saying from material you write without usage of GPL software. Therefore, they wont restrict your ability to use the license you see fit. They try to restrict you to take GPL material and unvest it from any of the liberties already granted to the software that is already GPLed.

The point being, you can't take GPL material and strip it by stamping a more restricted license onto it, or onto the modifications you've made to it. This implies you cannot bundle GPL material into your propietary-license work. You are welcome, on the contrary to write such routines from scratch.

But we're not talking about that....
"If anyone ever tells you anything about an aeroplane which is so bloody complicated you can't understand it, take it from me - it's all balls" - R J Mitchell

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:00 pm

They try to restrict you to take GPL material and unvest it from any of the liberties already granted to the software that is already GPLed.

No one is talking about doing this.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:01 pm

This is the reason Flightgear has such poor texture artists.

Because admit it or not Fligthgear DOES attempt to force a license on an author... just ask Daweed
Last edited by bomber on Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:01 pm

bomber wrote:In the past there's been this GPL virus claim... which has been proved to be wrong.

That simply by adding some GPL code to your existing non-GPL code you make your work in it's entirety GPL .... it does not.

I invite you to read this content to clarify yourself

http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?stor ... 4210634851
Stop and think. What happens if you violate the terms of a fishing license? For example, the license may restrict how much fish you can catch on a particular day or what kinds of fish you can keep, what sizes, etc. Suppose you violate the terms of the license. What happens? You lose your license to fish. There may be a fine to pay, right? That's essentially the same thing that happens under the GPL, except it's nicer, because the company gets to choose what it wishes to do under the terms of the GPL. If it still isn't resolved, and it goes to a judge, however, it's enforced as a violation of copyright law, not contract law.

A license like the GPL, on the other hand, which is a true license by intent, and which, if you remember the original definition, is a permission to do what otherwise you could not legally do, fits the definition of license precisely. So when you hear that the GPL is viral and can force proprietary code to become GPL, which a couple of lawyers have been saying, you'll know that isn't true. If you steal GPL code, you can expect enforcement, if the violation isn't cured, but it can only be enforcement of a license, not a contract, and a forced release under the GPL can't be imposed on you under copyright law. It's not one of the choices, as Professor Moglen has explained. You do have a choice under the GPL license: you can stop using the stolen code and write your own, or you can decide you'd rather release under the GPL. But the choice is yours. If you say, I choose neither, then the court can impose an injunction to stop you from further distribution, but it won't order your code released under the GPL.

R.M.S.

bomber

Postby bomber » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:03 pm

Yes I originally posted that up here.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:04 pm

bomber wrote:But we're not talking about that....

Then, I am not following you (on what you meant by)
4. The freedom to force an authors work to be GPL

I don't see the GPL license forcing anyone to work under GPL. They force the freedoms to stay withing GPL content, and require others to not use such content within propietary work.

R.M.S.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Err Bomber, can you have a look at my last post please. Is the non-gpl totally unrelated to the gpl part in the bundle?

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”