what os are you using?

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...

What OS are you using?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 am

Linux
48%
Windows
29%
Mac
19%
Punchcard System :P
5%

Total votes: 21

SHM

Re: what os are you using?

Postby SHM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:49 pm

KL-666 wrote: Heat problems are not exclusively for Macs. All my business laptops suffered heat problems at some point in time. Last time i chose an ASUS ROG laptop. It is perfectly suitable as business laptop too, and best of all, it really stays cool with the two huge fans.
Kind regards, Vincent

The one my sister has relies on passive cooling.
The thing is that almost all macs are affected :lol: Probably not the Mac Pro(Dustbin like Mac :P ) but its costly.

In the windows case you can chose whichever fits your purpose well, as you said in your case (either a sleek business laptop or a hardcore gaming laptop).
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:28 pm

@D-ECHO exactly explain that to SHM, who for some reason, likes the BABY OS.

I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu on my main PC, and Ubuntu on my secondary PC. I mostly use Linux, unless I need Windows. I have an SSD, so rebooting to change OS is no problem for me. (less than 10 seconds). Mac is crap these days. :(

I disabled the very little spying found in Windows 7, the difference? Unlike Windows 10, Microsoft does not renable them with Windows Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Linux looks like this, I always install MATE, with a custom theme. (Made in MATE Tweak, by mixing Radiance with other things)

I really wanted to select Punchcard system. lol.
Josh

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:57 pm

You still won't convince me unless you answer all that I asked in the last post?

Win 10 looks much better IMO (I liked the open suse screen shot Israel send but not the mate UI you send)

it0uchpods wrote:But here is my problems with WIn10:
Ugly.

Whether it looks good or not will be a user preference.

Good features and programs removed/replaced with stupid.

Which?
They changed the right click menu to 6 different styled ones, that are missing usefull buttons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!]

Which?
Start menu is inefficient to use.

How is it inefficient?
Joystick problems in FSX/P3D. (This affects Win8/Win8.1 as well)

I don't have a problem.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:07 pm

:D

I hope we aren't try to convince you :D

It's all a matter of usage, needs, experiences, preferences.
You are very correct saying you will run hell trying to get certain games/software to play nice with wine (or alternative windows -exe- translators/libraries)
For those games you are better off going home in Windows.

I don't like the whole Windows 10 philosophy. And I'd rather been using Windows 7 --all the way, if the choice comes to that. But I am more comfortable in linux -- no question about it.

I know you already doing some incursions in the linux world, and I know you'll enjoy the ride.

My other laptop, the one running opensuse leap looks like this:

Funny thing, both are using GNOME 3 DE. When I first ran linux I was using KDE 2.x. When KDE 4 was released, it came very close to the GNOME 3 release. I gave it a try, and I was hooked to its way of working from day 1. There're other users that hated it first, but grew on them. Others hated it half way, and per example ubuntu preferred to flavor it to Unity. Finally, others Couldn't handle either DE and forked GNOME for a 2.x-like variant. I had tried XFCE: it's great too. And for blasting fast and simple performance Lighting gives and edge. All and all, I keep my DE, on GNOME3, which gives me functionality I like -- a certain way of doing...
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:25 pm

We have that in Windows :D
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:30 pm

SO much uglier in Windows Shit, I'm sorry, Windows 10.

Not convincing.

SHM, any words to the spying that you can't disable???

Mate doesn't look as nice as GNOME 3, but its very productive. Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and GNOME look way nicer than stupid Windows 10.

Sorry that I insult the BABY, its usually not polite to insult BABY'S, but I had to. ;)

Josh

SHM

Postby SHM » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:56 pm

As I said it all boils down to User Preference, I can say <your imaginary GF> is ugly but you may not agree
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

You still haven't told me what features got removed.
It doesn't turn back on :P
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:01 pm

@SHM

I haven't used Windows 10 in 7 monthes, I don't remember!!!!!!!!!!! But I remember missing alot of things.

It does. Unless you run SpyBot Antibeacon. but the fact that I need to do that in the first place, and even turn things off after completing the initial setup is bullshit.

if you like it, that's great for you, but Win10 machines are banned from my WiFi. :)

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:09 pm

My main desktop runs Win10 - I use it for gaming. Arma III, Planetside 2, DCS, X3:TC, Dwarf Fortress, Fallout, and (of course) FG are what gets played the most. When it comes to gaming, Linux and Mac just can't compete. This computer is what I spend 90% of my time on, and is by far the most powerful.

Backup laptop runs Win10. Use it for excel, etc. I prefer MS Office over LibreOffice/whatever as I'm well versed in VBA and can write a macro for just about anything. Also use FG on it if I need more AI over MP aircraft or whatever. Plus it's easy to tie into my main computer with mousewithoutborders so I don't have to switch keyboard/mouse, and can easily transfer files.

Old laptop has win10 + mousewithoutborders, and is solely used for FG AI over MP.

Main laptop is running Ubuntu 15.04. I use this primarily for (non-FG) programming and another AI over MP FG.

Server is on an old desktop and is running Ubuntu 14.04. Has FGMS installed for local testing. Also used as storage and when I need something Linux and I'm on my main comp.

Notebook is Lubuntu. Used for Game Boy programming when I'm out and about.

Other laptop I don't really use is Mint. Not sure what version. Rarely used - maybe have booted it maybe 5 times since it was gifted to me. It's old and underpowered, but has a large screen. I might make it into my primary Game Boy programming computer someday.

Raspberry Pi is running retropie.

... Holy crap I have a lot of computers. Most were given to me as gifts over the span of the last decade (or bought on the cheap). The wife has a Mac.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:39 pm

Ahh! It burns. I hope you enjoy having Microsoft read all your stuff bro!

Josh

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”