what os are you using?

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...

What OS are you using?

Poll ended at Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:51 am

Linux
48%
Windows
29%
Mac
19%
Punchcard System :P
5%

Total votes: 21

Lydiot

Re: what os are you using?

Postby Lydiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:27 pm

I find that a lot of times people who repeat 'tests' like the one in arstechnica are doing so because they became aware of it which in turn was because it was about a MS operating system. It's not like users go out of their way to verify just how far all OS' go sending the same type of information. In other words it's highly questionable whether any other modern OS that support mainstream software does significantly less of this. There are several reports on the data sent out by various Apple devices and there's a brief upset whenever such a report comes out, then everybody forgets about it. So Apple is perceived one way and MS another, regardless of to what extent they are in fact similar.

It took me roughly 2 minutes to find how to fix Ubuntu, which is interesting. So again I wonder to what degree users go to ensure that their non-MS software is any better, and how they protect themselves when their machines are connected to the internet. I just don't think this is a big issue at all. It's mostly anti-MS hyperbole.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:38 pm

The difference is Microsoft changes your settings back to on without saying!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't use Unity, I use MATE.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:04 pm

Read the link you sent, Lydiot. It is not Ubuntu in general, but a specific desktop of that distribution (desktops come separate in Linux). No other mainstream distribution has such a spying feature. Btw, after turning it off, nothing at all is sent anymore. Contrary to what Microsoft does.

Note: This privacy problem only affects Unity. If you use GNOME (sudo apt-get install gnome-shell) or any other desktop environment, or if you run an Ubuntu derivative like Linux Mint, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc., you won't have this problem.

If you have no concerns, fine. But i find it a bit derogatory that you persistently call a serious concern for companies an anti-MS hyperbole.

Kind regards, Vincent

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:27 pm

KL-666 wrote:Read the link you sent, Lydiot. It is not Ubuntu in general, but a specific desktop of that distribution (desktops come separate in Linux). No other mainstream distribution has such a spying feature. Btw, after turning it off, nothing at all is sent anymore. Contrary to what Microsoft does.

Note: This privacy problem only affects Unity. If you use GNOME (sudo apt-get install gnome-shell) or any other desktop environment, or if you run an Ubuntu derivative like Linux Mint, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, etc., you won't have this problem.

The point was that having a generally anti-MS attitude might make people miss other 'threats'.

KL-666 wrote:If you have no concerns, fine. But i find it a bit derogatory that you persistently call a serious concern for companies an anti-MS hyperbole.

Maybe you need to grow a bit thicker skin then if you think that calling complaints 'hyperbole' is derogatory.

SHM

Postby SHM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 pm

Think about Apple's touch ID. :lol:

They say it is stored as a hash in the processor but who knows :P
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:05 pm

By the way, from what I understand, part of the issues with either losing something or getting some settings reset to default actually had to do with previously cracked versions of Win 7 that people installed 10 on. They show up as verified OEM licenses, so MS doesn't crack down on it, but that obviously doesn't exclude the possibility that there will be issues with the upgrade(s) seeing that it's built on a crack.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:15 pm

Wow! Linux takes the biggest cake for FG users' OS so far.
I certainly don't think that's a "general population" or "market-share" sampling...
---

PS: on the 17 votes count-mark
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:11 am

Hello Lydiot,

Changing "concerns" into "complaints" is a great spin doctors activity.

Changing "anti-ms hyperbole" into only "hyperbole" is a great spin doctors activity.

Changing "legitimate full release" into "cracked version of win7" is a great spin doctors activity.

Guess what, spin doctors are the greatest idiots on earth.

Kind regards, Vincent

Side

Postby Side » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:00 am

Ubuntu 14.04.1, and getting ready for installing the 16.04 LTS in MATE desktop

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:28 pm

@KL-666
+1

@Side
Nice, I use 15.10. (Too lazy to upgrade to 16.04)
MATE is the best desktop I think. It is very easy to use and productive.

Cheers
Josh

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”