OMG, i am doomed

Whatever moves you, even it makes no sense ...
HJ1an

Re: OMG, i am doomed

Postby HJ1an » Sun May 14, 2017 2:12 am

Take videos, if possible. I'm sure you'd do well after getting used to the controls. :D

I have a sneaky suspicion that I don't do so well in simulators only because the controls on a keyboard are all over the place. ... :?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Sun May 14, 2017 5:04 pm

Okay ... the reversers are on the del-key ... where si a del-key in a 737? And the breaks are on the fire-button of the joystick ... wait, where is the fire-trigger? And where can I press H to get the HUD ... and here is an important security note: No, you can't jump out from a real plane in 30,000ft and sit on the tial to shoot photos of your buddies around ... and no, the seat in front of the tail of a 777 is NOT the smoker's seat! Buahahahah!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 pm

Alright, it is the night before. The birthday of Falcon i see. Happy birthday Falcon.

I have been drilled with all sort of numbers by a pilot. And i have practiced with those. But i notice the numbers distact me from flying, so i guess i'll use a mix of the numbers and my gut feeling.

Thanks everyone for your confidence. My gf will be filming, so we'll see afterwards what that delivers.

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri May 19, 2017 4:48 am

Good luck.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:36 am

This was a very fun and educational experience. I have worked hard for two hours doing starts and landings at Amsterdam, Eelde, Kai Tak, Innsbruck and Dubai. Flying manual all the time. The instructor constantly made AP inputs, just for information purpose. AP was never on.

I learned that the plane is really slow in reacting to control surface action. Give a little pitch down, and nothing seems to happen at first. So one is tempted to overreact, resulting in an undesired "dive" down, which then has to be corrected again. I did that a couple of times. Now i understand why pilots fly pitch and power. They look at the pitch on the horizon combined with well known power settings from tables. Then speed and vertical speed are always somewhat correct. Flying mostly on the speed and vertical speed instruments like i did, makes you run behind the facts all the time. In the roll there is the same slow reaction. I had some difficulty not to have to correct left/right all the time in front of the runway. The trim was very sensitive. Just 1 or two very short clicks is enough.

Not being used to this plane, i needed much concentration on steering and throttle, having to watch the effects of my inputs on the instruments most the time. In the mean time the instructor on the RH seat and my brother behind me were constantly overfeeding me with information (super CRM, Not :-)). We all had great fun in the cockpit. Never crashed, 2 go-arounds and 1 touch and go.

I spent all yesterday evening trying to get the film of my first landing small without the sound getting out of sync. The result is a size of 10%. Still it is 80 MB. I hope that is good enough.

http://iveze.nl/data/simcenter_amsterdam.mp4

Well, i can only recommend this to all simmers. Just to feel what it really feels like to fly a jet (make sure you do it all manually). And to have some some good laughs in a relaxed atmosphere. Well at least at the place i was the atmosphere was great: http://simcenter.nl Lelystad NL.

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue May 23, 2017 1:26 pm

Really cool Vincent.

Congrats on not crashing
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

SHM

Postby SHM » Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Good job Vincent.
Really nice landing for a first-timer.

KL-666 wrote:I learned that the plane is really slow in reacting to control surface action. Give a little pitch down, and nothing seems to happen at first. So one is tempted to overreact, resulting in an undesired "dive" down, which then has to be corrected again. I did that a couple of times. Now i understand why pilots fly pitch and power. They look at the pitch on the horizon combined with well known power settings from tables. Then speed and vertical speed are always somewhat correct. Flying mostly on the speed and vertical speed instruments like i did, makes you run behind the facts all the time. In the roll there is the same slow reaction. I had some difficulty not to have to correct left/right all the time in front of the runway. The trim was very sensitive. Just 1 or two very short clicks is enough.

I too used to fly by focusing on the instruments, but once I started to fly more VFR with small GA planes I found out that when you fly VFR almost 90% of time you should focus on the outside world looking for traffic and enjoy the scenery :) rather than concentrate on the numbers on the instruments and that is when I got to learn to fly without looking at the instruments. You could maintain your attitude and speed with the proper pitch and power quite easily. Just make a visual reference with the horizon with some part of the windshield centre pillar (whatever that is called technically), and adjust power and make sure to make corrections with that. Works perfect.

Was the sim running on p3d/fsx?
Tempted to try the PMDG 737/747/777 now? :lol:

And thanks for taking the pain to get the video for us.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Actually i do not know what software is in it. It is not any game software the guy said. At least not the fdm i reckon, as pilots who do not work (yet) keep their skills current here for a relative low price. But the machine is not certified for any exams or so. It is deliberately not certified, because that would mean a lot of requirements on maintenance (costs).

So i suppose it has a professional fdm, with maybe visuals borrowed from a game. The visuals were not as good as in the ones pilots train in at their company. The difference is projection on a white dome (here) and projection on a mirror dome.

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:27 pm

I am a bit disappointed, as I can clearly see inaccuracies in the instruments, and etc of this sim, I wonder how accurate it really is.

Kind Regards,
Josh

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue May 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Vincent,

I am left-handed and you know how it is, left-handers have statistically a lower life-expectancy because at some points, those right-handers will get to some left-handers with their right-handed contraptions and kill some. Anyway, bottom-line is, left-handers are used to switch occasionally, so maybe a little bit of that experience helps:

- without actually flying in FG, close your eyes, imagine the scenery and go through some of the moves throttle only and do that right-hand, left-hand- right-hand, left hand, maybe a dozen times. The problem is not that your right hand is suddenly clumsy, the problem is, that you do the main activity suddenly with the left hand (steering). So all the trained actions are now saved in your brain for the wrong side. The brain has not a problem controlling the hand, it just can't realize that the sides have changed. So, doing it alternating with the left and the right hand, it helps the brain to connect the process to both hands.

- you hands are not only on coordination levels, they are also different in strength. But if you squeaze for example a tennis ball three times before you do your FG flight with changed sides, the brain has both hands basically calibrated on maximal strength, which is on both sides way more than you need to control a throttle or a joystick. Many people have a little wiring failure there ... every use of strength under the maximum level is internally processed in same sized steps. In a way, human brains are quite digital actually.

Have fun!
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

Return to “Unrelated Nonsense”