TK-6491

Postby SHM » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:41 am

FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

KB7

Re: TK-6491

Postby KB7 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 3:16 am

That's a *really* sad amount of ground casualties.
Primarily props / twins and small business/personal jets. IRL home airport KBMI, FG homes KLAS / KXTA.
Favorites: Cessna 421 "Golden Eagle," Twin Otter, BAe-125. A plane isn't my plane until I've modded the cockpit to the way I like it.

KL-666

Re: TK-6491

Postby KL-666 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:40 pm

Some information came through. The flight crew has been all the way above G/S, basically aiming for a point beyond the runway. At 100 ft AGL they decided to go-around, and at 52 ft AGL they actually initiated it, resulting in a short touchdown 900 meters beyond the runway, a little hop and falling into the town.

I wonder what was on their minds. Trying to catch G/S from above in zero visibility?
1) Never try to catch G/S from above in zero visisbility
2) If you try that stunt, decide to go-around when you did not catch G/S at a sufficiently save altitude. I suppose the norm should be the altitude where you should be stable, mostly 1000 ft AGL.

Russian Flight Crew have been sent the advisory to always cross check DME and ALT along with the ILS indicators, using this accident as an example of how it otherwise can go horribly wrong.

On Feb 8th 2017 information sent out to Russian Flight Crew (see the attached graphics of the flight trajectory below) became known stating, that the aircraft was conducting a CATII ILS Approach to Bishkek's runway 26, the crew however did not monitor their altitude, the aircraft passed the final approach fix 650 feet above the glideslope, therefore no glideslope capture occurred and the aircraft continued to descend to 3400 feet at 200 KIAS and levelled off at 3400 feet (Autopilot Modes: LOC CAP and ALT HOLD), the glideslope deviation indicator showed a full scale down deflection. About 0.8nm before the runway threshold the aircraft passed through the false glideslope (9 degrees) resulting in valid glideslope deviation indications for about one second, the autopilot changed to G/S CAP (Capture) mode and the aircraft began to descend, the glideslope deviation indicator returned to a full scale down deflection. The crew did not detect that it was not possible to descend to the runway from 3400 feet (runway elevation at 2055 feet) within 0.8nm, did not cross check their approach trajectory nor did the crew notice the full scale down deflection of the glideslope deviation indicator. The aircraft thus descended parallel to and above the actual glideslope. At 100 feet radio altitude the captain called for a go-around due to lack of visual references, TOGA was activated at 52 feet radio altitude, the aircraft however touched down 900 meters past the runway end and 60 meters to the right of the extended runway center line, broke through a concrete fence, bounced and fell into the village about 1000 meters past the runway end, following the impact at the concrete wall the aircraft began to break up and spilled fuel which resulted in a fire. All crew and 37 people in the village lost their lifes, 8 villagers were seriously injured.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4a38d07d&opt=0

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Real life flying”