Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Talk about flying in real life
IAHM-COL

Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:35 am

Cancel Order!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/06/us/po ... .html?_r=0

The NYT wrote:Boeing is building a brand new 747 Air Force One for future presidents, but costs are out of control, more than $4 billion,” Mr. Trump wrote on Twitter. “Cancel order!”
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

jwocky
Site Admin

Re: Cancel Oder for New Airforce One!?

Postby jwocky » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:50 am

Well, for over 4 billions? Boeing has to be a little realistic there, it is ban expansion on stuff they have already developed.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:51 am

The Donald is conflating this a bit, he knows he won't benefit from flying in this plane as it won't be ready for 8 years anyways so if he cannot have it, no-one can, he's the epitome of a spoiled rich kid.

Why does he concern himself, he has a gold plated 757?

He really needs his twitter abruptly curtailed.

123apple

Postby 123apple » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:34 am

I am not impressed.

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:50 am

As soon as I can access the latest information from Aviation Week and Space Technology, the premier source for accurate information on aviation development programs for aircraft such the Boeing 747-800 to be used for the new Air Force One, I will be posting that information.
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 1:32 pm

AFAIK the plane should function as nerve center of the command infrastructure (say as war room), and it is heavily defended. It is secret what electronics are involved, so we can not judge what it should cost. But let's look at it from another angle and do some beer mat math here.

AFAIK they operate 2 units, so one unit is 2 billion (if the 4 billion is correct). The bare plane plus luxury outfit is easily half a billion. Let's take another half a billion for custom made defenses. Then we are left with 1 billion for the war room.

Would you get a decent war room bunker for 1 billion? No idea. Ask yourself this question: Is 1 billion much for the nerve center of the command infrastructure, considering the total defense budget? In this perspective, it does not seem an unrealistic price to me.

Kind regards, Vincent

SkyBoat

Postby SkyBoat » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:21 pm

While waiting for an article by Aviation Week, here is an update from the Washington Post, which is a generally reliable source:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2016/12/07/boeing-ceo-pledged-to-work-with-new-administration-after-trump-threatened-to-kill-air-force-one-deal/?utm_term=.4d9a1e58a854
SkyBoat

"Dream no small dream; it lacks magic. Dream large. Then make the dream real."
Donald Douglas

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:57 pm

I agree with Vincent here. 4Bn doesn't seem that much if we're talking two units that serve that purpose. Granted, I would much rather that the US spends it on other stuff, but all things considered and considering the longevity of these planes it doesn't seem like a big deal. Unless you're Trump, in which case it's A DISASTER!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

HJ1an

Re: Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Postby HJ1an » Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:08 am

If you've seen the documentary of the AFO, the plane already has some age-related problems (mostly leaks and things) and it only takes a bit of a discovered hydraulic leak or some mechanical problem and without a quick proper parts replacement in an airport when the plane happens to be in the middle of nowhere to pose a huge risk not to mention some inconvenience for the most powerful person on Earth.

123apple

Re: Cancel Order for New Airforce One!?

Postby 123apple » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:04 pm

This sounds like more politics than economics to me.

Return to “Real life flying”