Airbus vs Boeing -- Airbus wins, any day

Talk about flying in real life
HJ1an

Re: Airbus vs Boeing -- Airbus wins, any day

Postby HJ1an » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:37 am

legoboyvdlp wrote:If you stall in a 727, good luck. Same with a 737. Maybe you will survive in a 777 - if your copilot is not pushing the yoke full back to kill everyone.
In any plane, a DEEP STALL will likely kill you. But the A320 (tries) to ensure it will not happen to you.

Usually, first thing pilots try to NOT do, is stall. (same thing drivers in manual cars want btw, difference is one cause minor intersection inconvenience and the other major consequence)..

Now a 727 is an old aircraft without any FBW, and T-tails are prone to deep stalls and can not recover. So, best they avoid that kind of situation too. Don't do anything funny, expect it to fall out any moment, so rule no.1 : keep it in the air.

The thing that most of us are a bit unhappy of Airbus, is that all that protection gives a false sense of security. Rule no.1 becomes something else. Yes it help when it works. When it doesn't work, you will still expect it to work, and that split second expecting it will work is then when it will bite back hard.

Like the automatic car analogy, if the person's car is fully automated, he or she is given a false sense of security, he or she starts reading on phone, playing games, taking a nap, etc... and if the car goes haywire and drive into oncoming traffic or off a cliff, that person will not have time to react (not that it matters on a Google car, there's no steering)

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:40 am

You know what?
I still want to drive an Airbus for a living!
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:45 am

That's totally fine, it is a good goal to achieve. At the end of the day, is to try out all options (Boeing/Airbus etc) and which one is most fits, as long as there's adequate training and knowledge on hand flying

HOM001

Postby HOM001 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:48 am

Embraer ftw
Although I wouldn't mind an old B757
FGAF_P3

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:08 pm

And to conclude this subject of stalling ... Airbus has the better system to prevent that and still, more Airbuses go down with stalls and sudden steep descents than even the oldest Boeings. Lets skipt the latest one, the EGypt crash, we don't have enough data, but the one before was the one in Asia, is there a report out yet, why this thing tried to climb that steep that is stalled and crashed into the sea?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:05 pm

The AirAsia report is postponed all the time since june, but i expect it any time within a few month now. It probably will be yet another case of inadequate training for too much change in behaviour at a critical moment. But we can not be sure until the report comes out.

Kind regards, Vincent

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:30 pm

I know this thread is old but:

Personally my favorite is McDonnell Douglas. But that's not a choice here, so most would I like Boeing since they merged no? (I mean look at the 737-MAX winglet; it's straight off the MD-11!!!)

I actually like both conditionally. While I believe that a Yoke is much better in every way. But righty pilots are now flying with their left hands regardless if there is a yoke or not. (Unless autothrust is used) since the pilot has a hand in the yoke, and one of the throttles. In an Airbus, the autothrust is almost always on. So that kind of makes having a hand on the throttles useless.

For me, it all depends on pilot training. If the pilots are well trained, and they understand the aircrafts characteristics, then that's good enough for me. And with the stalling thing, if you are a good pilot, you won't deep stal, or even stal at all. And if you do, you know how to recover.

And about the Airbuses auto protect thing: what if it malfunctions and flips the plane over? Then what?

Other than that, I choose off of looks. I think both the 787 and A350 are ugly. The best looking Boeing/Airbus for me is the 717 (technically MD, but whatever) , 777, 727, 767, A321, A330.

In the end, I still prefer McDonnell Douglas.

Regards,

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:14 pm

Nah, the MD11 winglet is A330 style.

757 is beautiful; so is the 777, 787, and 747.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:02 am

Well,

Close enough! You could say it's an evolution of the MD style.

..and I sometimes wonder with the already low ground clearance and long fuselage, the B737 pilots have not only have to consider pitch on landing/takeoff, but also bank because of these winglets..

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:03 am

..actually, having had a closer look at it, a considerable amont of bank upon landing would strike the engines first before hitting the winglets..

Return to “Real life flying”