Almost repeat of Tenerife in 1999

Talk about flying in real life
KL-666

Almost repeat of Tenerife in 1999

Postby KL-666 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:14 pm

Interesting stuff you can come across on the internet, that never made the headlines because it did not end in disaster. Here is a an NTSB animation of an almost collision of 2 747's at O'Hare. Just watch that taking off plane roll left on rotation to just clear the other plane by only 80 ft. Excellent job by the Korean Air pilot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY2576xOeww

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Re: Almost repeat of Tenerife in 1999

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:18 pm

oh my! that's close call!

In a twisted way it reminds me of our MP FG escapades :D
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Octal450

Postby Octal450 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:15 pm

Yeah...

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:35 am

It was a good thing that their 747 had extra margins during takeoff for emergencies like this. I'm not sure how much of Tenerife lessons were applied to the building of planes, but I'd like to think that it probably helped a lot in this case (+ also advances in engine thrust etc).

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:13 pm

A few days ago two China Eastern Airbii repeated the stunt at Shanghai. The taking off a320 cleared the tail of the crossing a330 by only 62 ft.

China Eastern A333 at Shanghai on Oct 11th 2016, runway incursion forces departure to rotate early and climb over A333

Kind regards, Vincent

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:05 am

mmm...
so not only common event in FG multiplayers?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:07 am

"firewalled the engines" LOL - that got me laughing. I don't know why..

OK hahas aside.

I recall once watching an A320 taking an extraordinarily loooong time to take off from the runway - almost reaching the end before getting into the air. Another A330 on the same runway used up only half the runway to get into the air. I suspect AUW differences would not make such a big difference. Now, I don't know if this was deliberate, but assuming if the A320 wasn't overwight or having some problems, sudden wind changes or whatever, and it is taking its leisurely time getting off the ground, is such a thing even allowed? I mean if the crew took the time to get into the air and then another plane crossed the runway "firewalling the engines" would probably not have saved it?

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:42 am

IAHM-COL wrote:so not only common event in FG multiplayers?

No, quite common in aviation. Some 10 runway incursions worldwide per year occur. Most are not as dramatic. Stopping past the hold short line already counts for an incursion. Also there is in most cases still bigger aircraft separation when detected and averting action is taken.

Here is another ntsb animation of the more dramatic type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIAQ0kbRE4I

HJ1an wrote:I suspect AUW differences would not make such a big difference

Even at MTOW this plane should have left the ground earlier. Nowadays there is not a fixed take off thrust setting, but it is calculated to be as low as to get rotation at a certain point on the runway. Mistakes in the calculation are not uncommon, resulting in rotating at the end or over the end of the runway.

Here is a cute example of a Qatar 777 taking the opposite approach lights up with him.

Qatar B773 at Miami on Sep 15th 2015, overran runway on takeoff run and struck approach lights on departure

Btw, the expression "to firewall" comes from the firewall between the engine and cockpit, where there is an engine in the nose. A very common configuration in earlier days. The expression is mostly used in combination with "throttle". Moving the throttle levers forward as far as possible towards the firewall.

Kind regards, Vincent

OPFOR77

Postby OPFOR77 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:56 pm

KL-666 wrote:Btw, the expression "to firewall" comes from the firewall between the engine and cockpit, where there is an engine in the nose. A very common configuration in earlier days. The expression is mostly used in combination with "throttle". Moving the throttle levers forward as far as possible towards the firewall.

So basically the same as "pedal to the metal" or "balls to the wall". Today I learned something awesome.
OPRF Fighter Jock and Dev

Return to “Real life flying”