Air Asia

Talk about flying in real life
jwocky
Site Admin

Air Asia

Postby jwocky » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:37 pm

Somerthing I found about the Air Asia flight that crashed

http://news.yahoo.com/faulty-rudder-system-major-factor-airasia-crash-off-074627808.html
Of course it's from Yahoo, so limited credibility from the start, but if the report they refer to is correct, never reset the computer in an Airbus only because the rudder support is failing because the thing will not restart clean but bring you in a stall. And of course, the pilots weren't able to switch it off entirely and fly manually. As it appears, they were not even able to pull those fancy sticks in the same direction ...
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

KL-666

Re: Air Asia

Postby KL-666 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Even though it is yahoo, the article should not contain many errors, because it comes straight from the just released report.

Some things my eye fall on immediately:

Investigator Nurcahyo Utomo said that AirAsia pilots flying Airbus aircraft had not received adequate training for when their planes became severely destabilised, as it was not recommended by the manufacturer

Some airlines over rely on the automation instead of training their pilots adequately. The manufacturer conveniently does not recommend such training. This is very much in line with bigger sales if the message is that pilot training is cheap on your planes.

Investigators said there was miscommunication between the pilots as the plane plunged towards the sea, with the men at one point pushing their control sticks in opposite directions.

Again that insane steering logic of cancelling out opposite inputs.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:09 am

Great. Just great. Now my flight anxiety is back - and I'm on the ground! I'll be flying April next year, they better fix the $@#$@ situation with all Airbuses

Lydiot

Postby Lydiot » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 am

Hydromechanical wins. Love the 747-400.

Less Skynet in the sky is more better.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:18 am

I am scared to death too, specifically about the scarebus issues. But did you have a look at the skin of any aircraft? Just a few millimeters.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:21 am

The reset turned off both the plane’s autopilot and auto-thrust system and pilots didn’t turn them back on, leaving them to manually fly with a degraded and unfamiliar fly-by-wire system. But with normal flight protections gone, the faulty rudder controls put the plane into a steep bank while pilots flew higher, and investigators said the crew was unable to react appropriately to “a prolonged stall condition” ending in the crash.

Investigators also cited ineffective communication between the two pilots. After the plane banked, the co-pilot pulled the plane’s nose up, gaining altitude. Tjahjono said that move was unintentional. The flight’s captain told the co-pilot to “pull down, pull down,” but the plane’s nose continued to climb instead.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/fatal-airasia-crash-caused-by-faulty-rudder-pilot-reactions-2015-12-01?siteid=yhoof2

I know "pull down" sounds stupid, but in this region especially, as English isn't the first language and mixed in with thoughts in the native language, the English can come out sounding like that especially in panic situations. I can only imagine the copilot listened and reacted to the word "pull" only....

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 am

KL-666 wrote:But did you have a look at the skin of any aircraft? Just a few millimeters.

Kind regards, Vincent

Actually what I'm scaring myself all over now is that because of this, they would all double check on their solder or whatever systems on board the aircraft, and then mess something up from there.

Here's a report from Flightglobal.com - i'm reading it now

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/circuit-board-solder-crack-cited-in-indonesia-airasi-419593/

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:35 am

The big problem with airbusses is not how any pilot gets into some situation, that can have different reasons. The most worrying part is that they can not get out of a normally fully recoverable situation.

Btw, the full report is available somewhere, i just do not have the link at hand at the moment.

Kind regards, Vincent

legoboyvdlp

Postby legoboyvdlp » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:02 am

Ah yes, rudder failure is fully recoverable?

I don't give a hoot about all that.
I absolutely love Airbus and that is the end of it.
It is so simple; so clean (not all cluttered up). I'm lovin' it.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:11 am

There are always believers that turn facts in their own favour. I just hope you outlive it.

Kind regards, Vincent

Return to “Real life flying”