The JWocky's Move

Talk about flying in real life
IAHM-COL

The JWocky's Move

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:43 pm

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-harrison-ford-landing-20170324-story.html

“I’m the schmuck who landed on the taxiway,” Ford told the tower shortly after touching down in his single-engine Aviat Husky on Feb. 13. “I was distracted by the airliner which was in movement when I turned to the runway and also the wake turbulence from the landing Airbus.”
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Re: The JWocky's Move

Postby IAHM-COL » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Not in Flightgear!!

Aviation safety experts have said that mistakenly landing on a taxiway is almost unheard of, and that there was no excuse for what could have turned into a disaster at John Wayne Airport.

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:26 am

I think there were several cases of taxiway landings previously (some involving airliners). The only way I think would enable such a distraction is if you are busy with said wake turbulence, while used to visually looking for whiter-colored runways (as in some airports). Also, probably being a fairly old movie star pilot may have to do with it too.

Classic Han Solo/Indiana Jones move anyway. :D

I recall several moments of lining up with taxiways from afar during practice landings before realizing that mistake and then correcting when flying in FG. Pretty sure it may have to do with terrain update lags and not pilot error ahem :? ...

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:00 pm

Well, I know why it happened to me several times in FG. If the landscape is blurred, by snow or rain for example or just has a similar color than the runways or taxiways, the taxiways appear often darker in FG makes them easier to spot for me while the runway is virtually invisible a while longer to me. So, it's probably an eye or a monitor thing.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:41 am

A follow up :

Ford's attorney, Stephen Hofer, said the FAA conducted a full investigation and interviewed his client. The agency let Ford, 74, keep his pilot's certificate and did not place any restrictions, the attorney said in a statement."Mr. Ford has held a pilot's certificate for more than 20 years, has logged more than 5,000 hours in the air, and has never been the subject of an FAA administrative or enforcement action," Hofer said in a statement.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/03/entertainment/harrison-ford-faa-investigation/index.html

I don't want to sound cynical, or maybe too late- but what if you replaced Harrison Ford - Movie Star with Joe Distracted? Would Joe - assuming he has the same 5000 hours, have a chance at not having his license take away?

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:05 pm

Alas, I think, he would have. See, even if they catch commercial pilots drunk in the cockpit, the revoke the medical license and those pilots can get them back in a year. Harrison Ford made a mistake and of course, for those who never come into the situation, it sounds big and hard to understand ... but then, we all drive cars, and how many of us have really honestly, never ran a red traffic light?
I think, they should have fined him. The rest ... well, sometimes where people do things, shit happens. The question you ask can be also asked the other way around: Would "Joe Distracted" pulled that, would he have even heard more about it than a note somewhere on the third page of Internet News? The pilot, who brought his 787 down in Wichita has, according to the media, his license still.
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:58 am

Ah yes, I forgot about the fine. Well it wasn't mentioned about a fine anywhere ( i think - as of now I am not bothering to reread the article), but assuming they did I think he'd have no problem paying said fine anyway.

I am unaware of this 787 Wichita news. What was it about?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Han goes flies solo

R.M.S.

SHM

Postby SHM » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:53 pm

Nice video :D
Thanks for sharing.
FG Pilot (2011-2018)
Prepar3d (2015 - 2023)
MSFS2020 (2020 - )

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:18 am

Are they actual recorded conversations? Some of it sounds like synthesized speech and I cannot understand half of what was being said if it weren't for the subtitles. I mean, it's not that the american accent thing or something, since I can understand american shows just fine..

I understand that the audio were cut off partially at the end of the sentences too due to the nature of radio equipment etc., but man, I would have a hard time up there in that environment. We can laugh at the Asian airline pilots mishearing things, but I think half of the time it's the audio / radio/interference/accent combo...

P.S. Harrison Ford I can hear understand just fine, hard to understand because heis speech is very quiet only. The later phone conversations were clearer me.

Return to “Real life flying”