The Mississippi crash

Talk about flying in real life
IAHM-COL

The Mississippi crash

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:25 am

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it? Probably not, because if they don’t recognise their freedoms, they’ll let their freedoms fall

HJ1an

Re: The Mississippi crash

Postby HJ1an » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:13 am

Mid-air disintegration.. not pretty.

RIP.

J Maverick 16

Postby J Maverick 16 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:00 am

:(
Breakin' the sound barrier every day!
5 YEARS OF FLIGHTGEAR (2012 - 2017)

Scenery designer, basic livery maker, aircraft developer.
Follow me also on Instagram, Twitter, Google+ and YouTube.

KL-666

Postby KL-666 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:10 pm

That plane looks rather "complete" to me for a mid-air disintegration. True i can't see the nose due to the smoke. But considering that all the rest is there, i suppose the nose is too.

Kind regards, Vincent

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:00 am

KL-666 wrote:That plane looks rather "complete" to me for a mid-air disintegration. True i can't see the nose due to the smoke. But considering that all the rest is there, i suppose the nose is too.

Kind regards, Vincent

Well it was based on the article saying that the plane broke up mid air and the cockpit some ways away from the main crash site. Of course, eyewitness accounts from news reports are never reliable - it might possibly have been a collision of some sort. I was gonna say that the wreck seemed complete though, but left it out.

jwocky
Site Admin

Postby jwocky » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:51 pm

That looks neither like mid-air disintegration nor like collision. The plane was not that high at the time of the crash, so I would expect in case of a collision maybe two or three big parts, in case of a disintegration a higher number of parts, all kind of spread out in a cloud stretched in flight-direction.
The way this looks to me is more like something sparked the refueling system, a part exploded, but the plane actually refused to disintegrate. Like the roof was blown off over the full cabin length, but she hit the ground on her belly. It is hard to see due to the smoke where the nose is, but the damage forward makes me think, this part also broke only off when she went belly down in the field. Only I don't see any trace of sliding. As if she fell just down belly first and had no forward speed at all anymore. Maybe some weird cumulation of factors leading additional to some stall attitude while she went down?
Free speech can never be achieved by dictatorial measures!

HJ1an

Postby HJ1an » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:12 am

Ir the cockpit was really separated, then it probably would be going straight down, in a flipping motion.

Return to “Real life flying”