Seasonal tree foliage

Building new buildings, airports, mowing lawn on runways ... all that kind of things to create the world
LesterBoffo

Seasonal tree foliage

Postby LesterBoffo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:21 pm

I have a question for other users of FG3.4. There was to be a fix in FG 3.4 for the Fall foliage of deciduous trees for the European subcontinent's materials and shaders effects, with Ambient Light Scattering on.

Does your install have this effect or is it something that needs turning on in some .xml or nasal command?

For some really weird reason I seem to recall there being a previous Fall foliage fix in 2.12 that already had the deciduous trees changing their leaf color before 'dropping' their leaves when the slider for 'Seasons' was moved from Summer to Late Fall.

Am I mistaken here?

legoboyvdlp

Re: Seasonal tree foliage

Postby legoboyvdlp » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:53 pm

In 3.7, with random veg on, they lose their leaves amd become icy, AFAIR.
~~Legoboyvdlp~~
Maiquetia / Venezuela Custom Scenery
Hallo! Ich bin Jonathan.
Hey!
Avatar created by InSapphoWeTrust CC BY-SA 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.p ... d=27409879

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:30 pm

Well no, that's not what I was asking. I'm wanting to know if anyone else who's using 3.4 has the Fall foliage color change before their trees lose their leaves in ALS.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:53 pm

3.7 here. Sorry.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:26 pm

Assuming it still works in 3.7 does it still work?

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:46 pm

I'll try later and let you know what Ive got to see
Any particular airport you think will be an optimal testground?

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:53 pm

European with lots of trees/forests? maybe St. Die LFGY?
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:11 pm

No.;
I am not getting the effect on 3.7

The trees may brown a little but not a lot in late fall. And winter brings the snow, but leaves stay on the trees.

If that's what's your asking, seems something went broken.

Late Fall (ALS on/random vegetation)

Winter (same specs as above)

R.M.S.

IAHM-COL

Postby IAHM-COL » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:13 pm

Over this topic, there is something I don't fully get about FG behavior here.
Shouldn't filghtgear use some data from system time to determine date and use the proper season along? instead of requiring user input fliping switches around? --specially, if, per example, real weather is on.
Secondly, why do I get such snow cover just by switching winter. It has not been snowing in LFGY lately, AFAIK ??

IH-COL

R.M.S.

LesterBoffo

Postby LesterBoffo » Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:22 am

Slide the season slider slowly to about midways, do the deciduous trees turn from green to orange/reddish gradually as you slide the slider to about midway?

Shouldn't filghtgear use some data from system time to determine date and use the proper season along? instead of requiring user input fliping switches around? --specially, if, per example, real weather is on.

Well you're gonna have to ask Thorsten about this..( Oh Joy!..) he's wanting it to be something that the user spends a few seconds setting up according to what the user assumes is the right stage of forest coloring up. :lol:

He has a small point I guess, as when I went through France in late Oct of '77, the trees in Pas de Nord and around Paris and parts South were all bare or nearly bare of leaves. Yet when we climbed out out from Lyons and into the ridgy foothills towards Geneva, the Alders, Aspens and other trees in the foothill forests were still colored up and holding their leaves. And the trees in Northern Italy were just starting to turn color.

So they (The Sacred Devs..) broke the leaves 'falling off' the trees in 2.12 through 3.4? My install of 3.4 was after I had my HDD failure in June. and 3.4, ( and 2.12 before it ) all had a season slider that changed the ground coloration in graduations, in addition to the tree leaf loss.

So yeah I'm trying to emulate a good, but not overdone Fall leaf foliage hack for September-October in the WWI areas. But I've not yet gotten the leaves to change color gradually like the ground color. And I distinctly remember one of the new neat things about 2.12 was there was a working seasonal tree leaf colorization but I don't think they had a ground color change yet.

BTW here's what mine looks like at about half "slider" Image

..and with half slider and a smidge of 'hoar-frost' at about 3000' Image You'll notice the grassy areas and hay crop areas get a distinct yellow-brownish tinge as the slider is moved.
Last edited by LesterBoffo on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Scenery Development”