Who's the boss?

Talking about the core development, vent steam ... censoring free but no guarantee, "they" will listen.
IAHM-COL

Who's the boss?

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:25 am

Who's the boss?

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /35393313/
James Turner in the devel.list wrote:
Florent in the Devel.list wrote:> On 21 Sep 2016, at 21:48, Florent Rougon <f.rougon@free.fr> wrote:
>
> Is there another way to change scenery paths at runtime?
>
> It seems to me that runtime changes of scenery paths could be
> accomodated this way, including inside the Qt launcher:
> - read the apt.dat files from $FG_ROOT/Airports/apt.dat.gz as well as
> $FG_SCENERY/Airports/apt.dat[.gz] (the latter "expanded" for each
> scenery component, obviously);
> - run the "has the list of apt.dat files (where order matters) or
> their timestamps changed since the last navdb rebuild" check every
> time globals->clear_fg_scenery(), globals->append_fg_scenery() or a
> similar function is called. Rebuild the navdb when the test says
> yes.
> - make sure scenery paths are always modified through such functions;
> - possibly remove --apt-dat, or make it log a big warning message
> indicating it is only for power users if that makes you happy, etc.
>
> Is there a concrete scenario where this would fail?
>
> In my opinion, for performance reasons it is also preferable to keep the
> big monolithic $FG_ROOT/Airports/apt.dat.gz and only override *a few*
> airports with their specific $FG_SCENERY/Airports/apt.dat[.gz].
> Typically, these would be custom sceneries.

Supporting run-time changes is a nice goal, but not worth a huge amount of effort. Good interaction with the launcher is pretty important.

OH!C'MON James
Be serious.

I am so confused.

Do we need to code and develop FlightGear to cater to the Launcher? Or should the Launcher mold itself, to the realities and the needs of Flightgear? Tell me who's the boss. Because it frequently seems that new features on FlightGear are implemented or vetoed on the principle of how they play with the Qt5 Launcher. It seems such launcher tells the game.

Implementing the ability to easily read and obtain and parse new apt.dat over the general one in Airports/apt.dat.gz is VERY VERY important flexibility for the software. And it should be immediately made priority.

Furthermore, you already received a pull request by Florent that succesfully implemented the functionality, and if not finished, at least he gave you a leap and to base your stuff on.

Instead, it seems to me you are doing all the talk required to veto this, and you go as far as implying that such feature is not launcher friendly? Are you serious? or am I missing something?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

IAHM-COL

Re: Who's the boss?

Postby IAHM-COL » Tue Sep 27, 2016 3:29 am

https://sourceforge.net/p/flightgear/ma ... /35393314/
James Turner on devel.list wrote:
Florent on devel.list wrote:> James Turner <zakalawe@...> wrote:
>
>> I also think fixing the upstream problem (Robin is slow) has many more
>> benefits,
>
> Can you please explain what is slow about Robin/upstream (real question)?

To be honest I have no idea if Robin is slow or not, but people keep claiming he is for unspecified reasons. I apologise for repeating this if it’s unfair to Robin - perhaps it’s simply the process is unclear or we’re doing it incorrectly. But ‘Robin is slow’ is cited as a reason why we need some layer between his database and what we ship, to a first approximation.

Well... it is well time now to stop criticizing Robin and look at our own defects (FG's).
Robin is not even in charge of managing the database upstream, anymore... at all.

The X-Plane team organized a massive database where they update airport specifications, and get them accepted upstream at a rather ridiculous fast speed, and FlightGear is alltoghether unable to catch up. Our scenery is World Wide behind airport specifications for an obscene three years (and counting)

They are blasting fast providing us with new airports and improved airports by the hour. We are snailing behind.

So.... how about we drop the "Robin is slow" excuse now?
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/IAHM-COL/gpg-pubkey/master/pubkey.asc

R.M.S.
If we gave everybody in the World free software today, but we failed to teach them about the four freedoms, five years from now, would they still have it?

Return to “Core Development”